Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I always let a company now when I have a problem regardless of anything like time line. They may not give you satisfaction but they may check their product for the reason you are dis satisfied and let you know.

I also let companies now when I am happy and pleased with a product.

Most companies like feedback from customers. How else do they learn how to improve their products and serve their
customers.
peace
Old 12-17-2014, 07:29 AM

I agree with Ginger K - I know on Missouri Quilt tutorials that Jennie uses the mat, but I've been taught that you never use the mat, only your ruler.

Susan
Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Neesie I just watched the video on cutting that you posted the link too. It was amazing. I want one of those rulers so bad. I am going to save up until I have enough to get one. That was totally amazing. Of course, she made it look so super easy and I am sure it would take me a while to get the "hang" of it, but wow. And I love to sew but not thrilled with cutting LOL so this method would save so much time. I am still amazed by this video. Thank you so much for sharing, as a newbie, I love learning all this new stuff. :-) Have a great day, Rachel
Rachel, that Shape Cut ruler has saved my sanity, sooooo many times! :-)
Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Without reading all the post and I'm sure this has been said many times, but I never use the lines on the mat for measuring. I was taught that right off the bat. Also if you use different sizes of rulers you need to use the same brand. I would keep the mat and use your rulers for cutting. Sorry you have been unhappy with what you have gone through for 4 year. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Not all marts and rulers are created equally. You will find some companies are more accurate than others. Whatever you use you must be consistent and use through out your project so that your measurements stay consistent. This is just like not all 1/4" seams are the same. Using your ruler for measuring and not your mat is the most accurate.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:44 AM

I've been told to never use a mat for accuracy, most are not, so only use your rulers.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Maybe Jenny has measured her mat and know it is accurate or all her cuts are the same. It is kind of like seams as long as your consistent. I use rulers myself.

Last edited by Carol34446; 12-17-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by jude by the sea View Post
Hi everyone! I sort of have a delima and was wondering what others would do. About 4 years ago I went to a quilt show and purchased a large purple cutting mat and several rotary cutters. The other day I was so frustrated that some of my blocks were coming out a little smaller or larger but not much. So as I am starring at the cutting mat with my ruler laying on it I noticed that the inches didn't match up to the inches on my ruler! I then started checking the rulers inch to the mats inch and low and behold they didn't match as I traveled around the Mat checking for accuracy. No wonder I have had trouble with blocks being off! My delima is: should I contact the company who made the mat (which I won't mention the name on the board here cause I don't know if that's appropriate)! Or should I just let it go. I have taken really good care of the mat, always covered it and never let the sunshine hit it so I can't believe it's anything I did. I know it's four years old but I would never guess that such a large and expensive mat would skew! What would you all do? Let it go, as they say which I could but I worry about new quilters having the same issues! Plus now what good is mat? Yes I can use it as a straight line marker but in making blocks I can't trust the accuracy. I know I used all sides of the mat when I cut so maybe that's why my blocks weren't always exact. I asked a quilter about this and her answer was that she never uses the mat to cut her pieces. I was to embarrassed to ask how she cut her pieces but maybe there is something I should know about cutting pieces other than how I cut my pieces is by ruler and mat working together! Anyone have any input?
It is possible that what you bought was a "factory second" that the vender picked up dirt cheap somewhere and passed it off as quality. Ask me how I know people do do this.....
Old 12-17-2014, 10:56 AM

I'm wondering if it was a metric marked mat?
Most of my Aussie quilt books give cutting directions in metric...
Old 12-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jude by the sea View Post
"Hi everyone! I sort of have a delima and was wondering what others would do. About 4 years ago I went to a quilt show and purchased a large purple cutting mat and several rotary cutters. The other day I was so frustrated that some of my blocks were coming out a little smaller or larger but not much. So as I am starring at the cutting mat with my ruler laying on it I noticed that the inches didn't match up to the inches on my ruler! I then started checking the rulers inch to the mats inch and low and behold they didn't match as I traveled around the Mat checking for accuracy. No wonder I have had trouble with blocks being off! My delima is: should I contact the company who made the mat......"

Jude! Jude! Jude!,

YES!!! Contact the company you bought the mat from! I had this same thing happen to me. I bought a huge cutting mat at a quilt show and "finally figured out" the mat inches were "bigger" than my rulers. I contacted the company I bought the mat from and was told the mat I had bought was for "dressmakers". The dressmaker mat "inch" marks allow for ease. They make a separate cutting mat for seamstresses than quilters.

Anyway, the man I talked to was very nice and he told me his company was coming back to Denver for another quilt show and (asked me if I was in a hurry to get it or I could....) bring it into the next show and he would exchange it for the proper mat.

I did this and he was very nice about it. I did not know there was a dfference in "an inch" so did not know to ask if it was the "quilter cutting mat". Seems strange to have to ask for a quilters cutting mat at a quilt show, but.....

Long story short.....call them, ask them to make the exchange. I had probably had my mat for about a year before I made the exchange with the company.

Ellen