Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
Jeanne S If you are left handed do you do the same thing but from the right side.
Suzanne, you make an excellent point! I am right handed so my explanation was from that point of view. I would think a leftie would have the fabric turned in the opposite direction (bulk to the left, straight edge of the fabric on the right) and cut on the left side of the ruler. The key is to have the strip UNDER the ruler.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I used to cut fabric the way I think you are doing: you lay the fabric across the mat, with the cutting edge to your right and the bulk of the rest of the fabric folded on your left, slide the ruler on top of the fabric to your left until you have the right strip width and then cut your fabric on the right side of the ruler with the strip to the right of your ruler and the rest of the fabric under the ruler and to your left. You have to use the lines on the mat to do it this way, and you are simply using your ruler as a straight edge for the rotary cutter. Then one day I was watching a quilting video and the presenter cut a different way--using the ruler as the measure of the strip width. To do it this way, you straighten the edge of your fabric the way you usually do, but then FLIP the entire length of fabric over so that the new straight edge of the fabric is on the left side of the mat and the rest of the length of the fabric is on your right. Then place your ruler on top of the fabric, and then look through your clear ruler to line up the straight edge of the fabric under your ruler to the right strip width. If you are cutting a 2 1/2" strip, the right edge of your ruler should be 2 1/2" right of the end of the fabric--the strip you are cutting is UNDER the ruler. Remove that strip and keep going down the length of the fabric to your right. With this method, you are only using the ruler lines for vertical and horizontal measurements and don't look at the mat lines at all. I hope this makes sense. I am getting much more accurate cuts now with this method, but it took me a little while to adjust to it. Here is a photo of the placement of the fabric and ruler if I was cutting a 2 1/2" strip.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502595[/ATTACH]
Ok that's the correct way I have been told many times I am doing it wrong. my rulers all differnt brands range from 4 to 6 inches wide I sometimes need wider cuts 8.5 10.5 how do you do that and still have accurate cuts?

Also Jude by the sea I would absolutly contact the mat company we buy them assuming they are a correct measurement I have never seen a notation on any mat stating the lines and "measurements are not necessarily accurate".
Old 12-16-2014, 02:31 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502760[/ATTACH]

Billi, You are right, in that my 24" ruler is only 7" wide and only works alone for strips up to 7" wide. For wider strips, I use my 16 1/2" square ruler to add on inches. See the photo below, I set up an example of cutting a 10" wide strip. You can see that all 7" of my long ruler is on top of the fabric as well as another 3" of my large square ruler, so if I cut on the right side of my long ruler I will have a 10" strip. Of course I can also just use my large square ruler by itself for any strips up to 16", but if you just have smaller rulers, just line them up side by side to get the width you want. Hope this makes sense. Others may have better ways to do it, but this is what I do and it seems to work.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502759[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1110724.jpg   p1110723.jpg  

Last edited by Jeanne S; 12-16-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I was told when I started quilting that the mat lines are just guidelines and very few are precise for accurate measurements and never change brand of rulers when cutting out a quilt pattern. I read an article some years ago that the mat lines are stamped on the mat so many variables can happen to make the lines a smidgen off.
I was told the same thing and I continue to follow this advice.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:59 PM

So many quilters have told me to always use the same brand name ruler all through the quilt you are working on. I often do mine the way Jeanne explained, but I still get wrong sizes sometimes. The dang ruler slips or something. I bought those sticky things you put on the back and just recently I bought those sheets of sticky clear plastic and they still slip. You really have to be careful when cutting....Measure twice, cut once.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I know everyone says not to use the mat for measuring but when you are doing something wider than your ruler what are you supposed to do? I use Olfa mats and Olfa rulers and I've checked them for accuracy and they match.
I agree with Jeanne. It takes 3 of my rulers side by side to cut the width of fabric down the middle. I always put the long one on top so I can make the longest cut before re positioning everything down the length.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I use my ruler to cut to measure. I don't use the mat to measure. I do line the ruler with the mat but measure everything with my rulers. I also measure my rulers against each other. I like my June tailor and have had no problems with it. Been 4 years just make them aware that their mats are not true measure.
I am with Tessagin...measure with the ruler and also line up the ruler with the mat...something like double checking and verifying not only the measurements but also the grain of the fabric.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:56 AM

Neesie I just watched the video on cutting that you posted the link too. It was amazing. I want one of those rulers so bad. I am going to save up until I have enough to get one. That was totally amazing. Of course, she made it look so super easy and I am sure it would take me a while to get the "hang" of it, but wow. And I love to sew but not thrilled with cutting LOL so this method would save so much time. I am still amazed by this video. Thank you so much for sharing, as a newbie, I love learning all this new stuff. :-) Have a great day, Rachel
Old 12-17-2014, 06:30 AM

i'm sure it's been said in these replies, but i'm going to second it--always use the same ruler on the same project, all the way through. every manufacturer has tiny variations in their process, so if you start with a ruler on a project, stick with that one. if you can't remember which one is for which project (who really has a bunch of extra rulers, anyways?) like me, i use a tiny square of the project taped onto the ruler with see through tape (looks like a bandaid) so i can visually match things up. the most important thing is consistency in the cutting. same ruler fixes that.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 AM
shy

Jude... one thing I learned the hard way..ALWAYS use the same ruler or mat for cutting..If u put many rulers and mats together..U will find more than one to be off just a little..Its worth try to contact the maker of the mat..all they can do is say no...