Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to fix, vs when to leave as is. >

When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:51 PM

Default When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

I was sewing squares together for a quilt I was doing, a basic 4 patch, and when I was ironing I noticed that while several of my blocks had good or even decent points, I also had a bunch where the points were off of a little. Some of them it would be hard to tell without getting close, and others was obvious right away, at least to me.

I keep debating on myself if I should rip out the ones with the points off and redo it, or leave it as is. I keep going through the pros and cons of each option.

I was about to write out the pros and cons for each option, but doing that I realized I figured out what I was doing, but am curious about what issues everyone else leaves vs tearing out and fixing?
Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 PM

If the seam is off more than a thread or two I usually fix it. If it is really close, I leave it alone. Sometimes pressing the seam the opposite way will make the difference. If the quilt is for a toddler who won't care, I tend to leave it. If it is for someone special, then I usually fix it.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:30 PM

I'm not that particular. I just leave it. After it's quilted and washed it's not that noticeable. According to Jennie Doan, "Finished is better than perfect." I agree.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:37 PM

For me, it depends on the purpose of the quilt and how much the seams are "off". If it is an important gift quilt, I rip and redo to get it as perfect as I can. If it is just a practice quilt, one I am making for fun or a charity quilt, I give a little more leeway and only rip it out if it really bugs me. As others have said, lots of imperfections just don't show that much once it is quilted and washed. I don't expect perfection from myself.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

I just finished a quilt top for my new great grandson that has one block upside down. A glaring mistake. I was thinking about fixing it but my grand daughter laughed and said "leave it Gramma, it's so you!" So I did.

Cari
Old 10-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

My one 'rule of thumb' is this: If it bugs me, I fix it. Just follow your heart.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 PM

I fix it, it would bug me and I would know
Old 10-13-2016, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

i anguished over this for our quilt show this week. it was my first time entering quilts. one of my favorites had a few points cut off and the binding looked terrible on the back. one of my quilting circle friends suggested leaving it to show how far i have come in my quilting journey. but it kept bugging me... so i spent last weekend tearing it out and redoing it. i felt so much better about submitting it to the show.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I fix it, it would bug me and I would know
Same here. However I had a sister who never ripped anything out.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:14 AM

QuiltnNan.....you proved you have "come a long way" by correcting what you knew was unacceptable in your work....