Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to fix, vs when to leave as is. >

When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

When to fix, vs when to leave as is.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:37 PM

My first quilt I made with stars and lots of flying geese, I was disappointed with because lots of points got cut off, and I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. Turns out my seams weren't big enough! But I left the quilt, hardly ripped out any. Still not fond of it. It will go to charity soon as I get a few more done.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:02 AM

I don't rip out much but sometimes I have to because I can't sleep at night. I have never entered a quilt in a show and I try to give my quilts away to non quilters and that way I hope they will never know about any booboo's and there is usually at least one booboo.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:20 AM

I agree with the other posters, if it bugs you, you'll probably be happiest if you fixed it. I find that i am not as festidious on baby quilts and will leave something if it's within an eighth inch because they probably aren't going to notice and once it is washed most naked eyes wouldn't see it. But on any other project, if I catch something that's not right, I will fix it and chalk it off as a learning experience.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:41 AM

Sometimes things just don't seem to go perfectly no matter what you do. I have a rule.... If I have a seam that's off I'll rip it out and resew. If it's still not right I'll rip out again. Then if it's STILL not perfect I leave it be. Sometimes ripping out just makes it worse if the fabric gets stretched or ravels in the process.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:53 AM

Depends how far off it really is. I did have to "adjust" one seam on a zipper quilt for my granddaughter. Everyone knows I'm not perfect and not the world most fantastic quilter, but as long as the quilt looks decent and is filled with love, no one complains.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:54 AM

The women at an Arizona quilt show told me that their rule was : Can a person on a galloping horse see the mistake? If they can, redo it. If they can't, leave it be. I kind of like that saying but don't always follow it. Sometimes I just have to redo the mistake. I'm not a perfect quilter and my points get cut off all the time. I have problems with my eyesight and this is the best I can do.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I just finished a quilt top for my new great grandson that has one block upside down. A glaring mistake. I was thinking about fixing it but my grand daughter laughed and said "leave it Gramma, it's so you!" So I did. Cari
I love this. I,too, would fix it if it bugged me.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I'm not that particular. I just leave it. After it's quilted and washed it's not that noticeable. According to Jennie Doan, "Finished is better than perfect." I agree.
I have to agree!!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
Are you on a galloping horse while looking at it? If so, leave it alone.
LOL Pat! I never understood that galloping horse rationale, myself.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I don't know that I agree with "Finished is better than perfect", either. We hear it quoted all the time, but... really? Slap a binding on a mess, just so it's finished? Nah.... Why start a quilt if you aren't going to do the best job you can do?