Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you do your cutting? >

Where do you do your cutting?

Where do you do your cutting?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM

My darling son in law built me a table to go over my ironing board for my birthday several years ago. I love it, I can adjust the height by adjusting the ironing board and it is larger than my ironing board. I also love that he had my two grandsons decorate the top by painting various boy things on it.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 AM

I have an old wooden dining room table that I rescued. My DH made some leafs to expand it. I put two cutting mats down as I don't want to cut into the table. Since I'm short it works just fine.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM

I use an old dining table for which I made pvc "risers" to get it to the correct height. I cut on my sun porch where the light is good.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:58 AM

My cutting area is an 8' long counter on top of old kitchen cabinets. When we decided to update the kitchen, I took the cabinets, and painted them all white. DH installed a countertop and the cabinets in my quilt rm, and put tiny Ikea floodlights that shine over the counter top, so plenty of light. He built a long segmented 'cubby' that hangs right under the wall cabinets (which he attached the floods to) that hold all the small things. Perfect height for a short person to use for cutting. Unfortunately, laying out my quilting is done on our king size bed as I hate laying things out on the floor -- not good for my back either way, but it works. I'd love to have a table where my machine is installed level into the table, but I'm not cutting up my antique drop side crank table, so I make do with it 'as is'.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by turner0106 View Post
I am new to quilting. I cut my first quilt out yesterday using a rotary cutter. However, it was not the most comfortable place to cut. So I was curious where all of you cut at and how comfortable it is?

Thanks
Diane
It is important that your table height is right for you to eleminate as much bending over as you can,this helps your back/shoulders.
I have a table that was given to me,it is a work bench out of a high school work shop(so my taxes really paid for it) It was to heavey for me to move around so I put large rollers on it, this made the height and mobility just right. I can move it out so I can work from all sides, it's about 8 ft long and 4 wide. Love it plus it has a long shelf under it, that stores boxes &ect very nice. Good luck comfort at our work makes it more fun.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Thanks Bunches!!!! I am slowing collecting them, I too love them. I picked this baby up for $2.99 on eBay!!!

Originally Posted by nise View Post
I love your sad iron, I like buy these when ever I can found
one
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 AM

Large cutting mat is taped to my freezer top. Just right height for me. Every once in a while though the HB don't happen to see the rulers laying there and they end up behind it. Keep a long arm grabber hand for that situation.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:35 AM

I just started using my kitchen island. I bring my QuiltCut up and then I can cut way. Before that I tried to cut on my MIL's dinning room table I sew on. But it was not comfortable. The island is prefect for me.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I just got done cutting and my back is killing me. I also have 2 3'x8' banquet tables with my cutting board. I bend at the wrong place in my back and I can't do it for long. I need to raise it somehow. It'd be great if I could get it about 6 inches higher, I think. Is that about the right size for height?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM

I bought a folding table at Walmart for about $35. and then put those bed risers under the legs $10., which brought
the table a wonderful comfortable height, so I do all my cutting on that table. It is a cheap way to make a comfortable spot to cut.