Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who are the "Quilting Police" .... >

Who are the "Quilting Police" ....

Who are the "Quilting Police" ....

Old 04-25-2011, 02:22 PM
saf

I can verify that descendants of this original group still exist here in the UK. I enthisiatically joined a newly formed group as a novice a few months ago. All were newbies like myself with the exception of one. We sat in awe for the first 4 sessions while she corrected the teacher at every breath and castigated our futile attempts to achieve a true 1/4" seam without sticking our tongues while we sewed. Finally we came to display our log cabin placemats - great trepidation, knees trembling with excitement and fear of criticism - true to form, she found fault with everyones efforts and praise for none. Her placemat made no appearance at all. However, she did offer to make labels for us all on her fancy machine which has 3, yes 3 alphabets. We ended the session with a discussion about the sampler quilt using QAYG -that we would start when we next met. the rest of us were gungho - what - real patchwork and quilting. She who must not be names -predictably disagreed and said that we should concentrate on a single block quilt so that we could learn how to perfect our points?? half triangles?? Just as we were going to concede to THE LAW someone had the audacity to ask her how many quilts she had made over the years. Her reply - 'Well none actually but she had a friend who quilted."
Yes, I admit it - I shot the sheriff but I did not shoot the deputy down! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by saf
I can verify that descendants of this original group still exist here in the UK. I enthisiatically joined a newly formed group as a novice a few months ago. All were newbies like myself with the exception of one. We sat in awe for the first 4 sessions while she corrected the teacher at every breath and castigated our futile attempts to achieve a true 1/4" seam without sticking our tongues while we sewed. Finally we came to display our log cabin placemats - great trepidation, knees trembling with excitement and fear of criticism - true to form, she found fault with everyones efforts and praise for none. Her placemat made no appearance at all. However, she did offer to make labels for us all on her fancy machine which has 3, yes 3 alphabets. We ended the session with a discussion about the sampler quilt using QAYG -that we would start when we next met. the rest of us were gungho - what - real patchwork and quilting. She who must not be names -predictably disagreed and said that we should concentrate on a single block quilt so that we could learn how to perfect our points?? half triangles?? Just as we were going to concede to THE LAW someone had the audacity to ask her how many quilts she had made over the years. Her reply - 'Well none actually but she had a friend who quilted."
Yes, I admit it - I shot the sheriff but I did not shoot the deputy down! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Way to go!! Don't you just love people like her, hasn't made anything herself, but loves to tell others just how to do it. Reminds me of my ladte FIL, who seemed to be an expert or always acted like at least he knew everything about anything anyone was doing or talking about, always had an input into the subject. We were visiting the inlaws one weekend about 30 yrs or so ago, I had taken my sewing machine with me, as I was working on a project that I needed to get finished. I was set up at the kitchen table and he came in and watched me for a few minutes, then proceded to make the comment, "you know I don't know anything about sewing" well normally I just kept my mouth shut, but couldn't hold it in that time. I spoke up with "Well that's so nice to know, because I didn't think there was anything that you didn't know everything about the subject" he just looked at me and never said anything else. I know that was really tacky but I just couldn't help myself, I had listened to him spout off for years about everything anyone was talking about. Needless to say, he and I always got along, I guess because I would stand up to him and others wouldn't they just let him take over. My DH is the youngest of 5 children.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM

don,t you worry your pretty little head ,i have been here for several years and so far so good not even my picture on america most wanted so the cost is clear ,i think the police finally got busted or fired
Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Power Poster

They are the controllers who want to be the bosses and you can only do it their way...or they are very critical and snobbish! Stay away from them...hide if you see them coming!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM
saf

Originally Posted by Gerbie
Originally Posted by saf
Way to go!! Don't you just love people like her, hasn't made anything herself, but loves to tell others just how to do it. Reminds me of my ladte FIL, who seemed to be an expert or always acted like at least he knew everything about anything anyone was doing or talking about, always had an input into the subject. We were visiting the inlaws one weekend about 30 yrs or so ago, I had taken my sewing machine with me, as I was working on a project that I needed to get finished. I was set up at the kitchen table and he came in and watched me for a few minutes, then proceded to make the comment, "you know I don't know anything about sewing" well normally I just kept my mouth shut, but couldn't hold it in that time. I spoke up with "Well that's so nice to know, because I didn't think there was anything that you didn't know everything about the subject" he just looked at me and never said anything else. I know that was really tacky but I just couldn't help myself, I had listened to him spout off for years about everything anyone was talking about. Needless to say, he and I always got along, I guess because I would stand up to him and others wouldn't they just let him take over. My DH is the youngest of 5 children.
My penance - I have made myself sit next to her at every meeting and say something positive every time she criticises - I think she may be getting a clue that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
this is the only person i've met that was willing to admit to being the "quilt police"

http://leslietuckerjenison.blogspot....lt-police.html
What a marvelous, tongue-in-cheek idea!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by candi
Originally Posted by Holice
Overly opinionated quilters who believe they are always right.
Yup, those are the quilt police :mrgreen: I meet some every once and a while, thank them for their opinion and do what I want on MY quilt.

Just ten or so days ago, I was at a quilt shop with my paint cards to pick some fabics for a lone star...a lady there asked me what I was shopping for, and I told her I was participating in a challenge to make a quilt using colors only from two paint cards that were selected for me, they were in shades of peach nd orange and I was going to make a lone star. She said that would be pretty and went on to ask me what color I was going to use for the background...I showed her the faint peach batik I picked, and she went on to tell me that it won't work unless I used a white or black background :roll: I thanked her and told her I will think about it. Well I made my star and guess what olor background I used :?: And it seemed to work just fine.
I would love to see a picture of your lone star.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
Originally Posted by candi
Originally Posted by Holice
Overly opinionated quilters who believe they are always right.
Yup, those are the quilt police :mrgreen: I meet some every once and a while, thank them for their opinion and do what I want on MY quilt.

Just ten or so days ago, I was at a quilt shop with my paint cards to pick some fabics for a lone star...a lady there asked me what I was shopping for, and I told her I was participating in a challenge to make a quilt using colors only from two paint cards that were selected for me, they were in shades of peach nd orange and I was going to make a lone star. She said that would be pretty and went on to ask me what color I was going to use for the background...I showed her the faint peach batik I picked, and she went on to tell me that it won't work unless I used a white or black background :roll: I thanked her and told her I will think about it. Well I made my star and guess what olor background I used :?: And it seemed to work just fine.
I would love to see a picture of your lone star.
Ask and you shall receive,lol.
I posted it here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-117120-1.htm
:mrgreen:
Old 05-04-2011, 03:45 PM

They are whomever you allow to make you feel that you or your work is less worthy than theirs. And they are generally not worth giving two seconds' thought to. There are way too many people (right here on this board, for example) who will encourage and help you to let folks like that upset you.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Hey! They are our furbabies. And they are very particular about what they like and don't like.