Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who are the "Quilting Police" .... >

Who are the "Quilting Police" ....

Who are the "Quilting Police" ....

Old 04-23-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
I met a 'Quilt Police Officer' once. I love foundation piecing and was looking at FQ at my LQS. After I had picked out several FQ and some Jelly Rolls I went to pay for them. The woman who was waiting on me asked me what I was going to use them for. When I told her I was doing foundation piecing for a quilt, she made this big sigh and said that was not real quilting, but cheating. After stopping myself from saying something I shouldn't, I said, "Oh well, then I guess I won't be needing this stuff" and turned around and walked out. By the way, she had already rung everything up, the total was a little over $200.00.
APPLAUSE HERE!!!!!!!! GOOD for you!!!! MARVELOUS action on your part!!!!!! I hope you went elsewhere and spent your $200 there instead. MORE APPLAUSE!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by leslie tucker jenison
I noticed that many of you from the list stopped by my blog to say hello to the "quilt police". Thanks for stopping by!
Leslie
http://leslietuckerjenison.blogspot.com/
Welcome from St. Clair Shores, MI. Hope you'll stay awhile. You'll love this site. Also, keep an eye out for Ditter---she's a hoot! :)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 PM

[. After stopping myself from saying something I shouldn't, I said, "Oh well, then I guess I won't be needing this stuff" and turned around and walked out. By the way, she had already rung everything up, the total was a little over $200.00.[/quote]

This is the best answer yet. Wish I had been there to see it. LMAO
Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks so much!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Quilted Horse
Although she is a very good quilter I would never go to her for advice! I continue to learn, get better and seek advice from several wonderful mentors who provide constructive criticism. and truly want to help.
I think that this is the key in life as well--not just about quilting.

When we want to learn something, we tend to find those who can support us and not just nitpick us to death.

Teachable people will be the most apt to teach as well since their spirit will be humble. We all need to be teachable--even the most experienced among us.

Probably the people who have the meanest spirit when it comes to being picky about quilting are probably like that in life about housekeeping, raising children, fixing dinner, etc.--extremely opinionated and speak freely on any given topic.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 PM

They are the ones who elect themselves and think they know it all about everything and can pass judgment on others whether they know anything or not. lol.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:24 AM

ALWAYS ask for credentials!! There is so many impersonators out there, -you gotta be careful!!LOL!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
this is the only person i've met that was willing to admit to being the "quilt police"

http://leslietuckerjenison.blogspot....lt-police.html
That's too cute! :thumbup:
Old 04-24-2011, 07:02 AM

[quote=Homemother]I think the QP are generally unhappy people and the only way to make themselves feel better is to criticize someone else. They tend to be bossy know-it-alls in every walk of life regardless if they've been down those roads or not. Once upon a time I took them seriously but now either avoid them or smile at their comments and say "not a word."

I think they are also the church police, the school police, the driving police, etc. They seem to be multifaceted people!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Everyone has there own idea of how a quilt should be put together.

I normally take a few fabric's to my quilting class and ask my fellow quilter what they think and we try different pieces, then I am the one that desides which way to go. Some of them have a better eye than I do of what does together.

Now it is the back that people tell you what you should do with it. At the price of fabric today, you are the one that has to decided just how much money you want to put into that quilt. I have done a couple with mulsin and they look just great. I didn't think that until I saw someone elses done. I think part of that is all about the machine quilter and how they do it for you.

Our group has found a great machine quilting and her prices are very good. She supplies batting so you don't have to ship that to her. You can take what she supplies for free
the 3.3 Poluester batting or you can choice one of the other types that she sells. You just ship her the top and bottom and she does the rest. She has about a 3 1/2 turn around and that works for me. We have local people that charge twice as much and you supply the top, bottom and batting.