Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who manufactures what???? >

Who manufactures what????

Who manufactures what????

Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the link to this interesting article. I too have issues with my local Janome dealer and am thinking about what to do about it.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Sorry. I have two vikings and I love them both!!! I've only had to had one serviced because the back button stopped working. The one I have is almost 20 yrs old(my mom's hand me down). I live in the middle of nowhere. We have to go about 3 hours away to get to a dealer so I'm glad I didn't have any troubles.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM

I have a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875,also a Husklock 910 serger; love it,love it. Also 2 old Berninas , 1031 is 20 yrs old this year and a 930 that's 25 years old this year. Quite a few old/antique Singers, the youngest was made in about 1974, the oldest 1916 all wonderful to sew with.
2 Pfaffs, 1222E about 35 yrs old and 2040 about 8-9 years old; both were made in West Germany.
Of the newer machines some are great, some not.
I find it sad that Singer is just a name now, not the quality of the machines that I use on a daily basis.
Sharon W. in TX

Last edited by purplefiend; 02-07-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 PM

There is always so much to learn; thanks for sharing the article.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 PM

It was interesting to read these articles about sewing and embroidering machines. I am sure there are some changes in the past four years, but they were still informative. I have six older Berninas, a Singer fw, and a Pfaff straight stitch for quilting. My two 31 year old Bernina 830's are my favorites. I would love to have a new 830, but the price is too steep at this time plus I really don't need all of the features it offers. My 830's can produce quilt tops for charities far quicker than I can quilt them.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 PM

My janome is STILL in for repair, no eta on when I will get it back and it has been 3 months! Not buying another. My old vintage singers are my real machines, they are my tanks, my go to machines. I have a viking serger that has some age on her but all metal so I am keeping her. Great article, thanks for posting!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Default Who manufactures what:

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I am in the process of researching a new machine. I have always been a die hard Janome fan but after ANOTHER unpleasant interaction with my local Janome dealer, I am opening myself up to the idea of going with another brand. I only say this as the next closest Janome dealer is over 2 hours away and the area that we are eventually going to move to out of state it will also be over 2 hours. I know that I will be taking test drives of any machine that I am interested in; too much money at stake to go in blind!

I found this article and I was suprised by some of the information. I know that others may be ahead of me in the game of "who owns what" but I found the article informative. It is dated 2/2008 so there might be newer information. I found it amusing that this gal sent her husband on a fact finding mission and he jumped in with both feet.

http://www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information/
I don't think you should let the dealer discourage you. The dealer I bought from imediately let me know that I was just a low life compared to her. I bought my Janome from her anyway & have been so happy with it. After my warrentee was up, I never went there again. I have my machine serviced elsewhere now & that lady is not selling Janome anymore.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM

In the late '80's my Singer died. I didn't know much about sewing machines, but I ended up taking it to a Viking dealer. He told me I just wore out the plastic in it, so I asked him, "You got anything that's all metal?" I have no idea if he was being honest, or just trying to make a sale, but he sold me a 630, after I told him I also did not want anything with a computer in it either.

That thing is still going. I thought about it a little last year, and decided there probably aren't parts made for it anymore, so I've collected quite a few (8) that I've gotten from ebay and other online sources. They all work and cost me less than $700, including shipping.

Some might not agree my logic, but it gives me peace of mind. I also told my daughter when her Singer dies, and it will, I'll just give her one of these.

I do have one that was sold, and bought, just for parts. I've now got parts galore!

Thanks for the article, reminded me of John Deere lawn tractors. We have a Lowe's in the area, and a John deere dealer that's been there for years. Lowe's sells a lesser quality John Deere, so we bought ours from the dealer. You wouldn't know the difference they both use yellow and green paint.

Kitchenaid's the same. My old mixer (1980) is now worth more than a new mixer.

But how is a buyer to know?