Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who or what would you recommend? >

Who or what would you recommend?

Who or what would you recommend?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Harriet Hargrave has a series called Quilter's Academy, broken down in to Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior years, where she teaches the process of quilting, rather than teaching projects. You might want to check that out.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:40 AM

If you can't go to classes,I really recommend Quilt in a Day. If you don't have her show on your PBS,check out the Media Theater on her website. Watch her shows,they show how to quilt from the ground up. I have only taken 1 class, and I already knew how to do the technique so I didn't gain a whole lot. I have read quilt magazines,watched you tube videos,but what showed me the most were the quilting shows on PBS.Quilt in a Day, Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting,Sewing with Nancy,etc. They really showed me how to quilt. Try it,it might help you.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 PM

Quilt in a Day or Missouri Quilt Company for free online. I learned to quilt watching Eleanor Burns on TV WAY BEFORE I lived close enough to a place that had quilt classes. We did not have much money, but I splurged and ordered Eleanor Burns Log Cabin book and learned a lot. Over the years, I have picked up a bunch of how-to books at used book stores and learned a lot about tone and color. I read a lot.

THEN we moved to a place where I could take lessons and I took some. I actually preferred watching the programs and then working things out -- in class there are always distractions and I never get much done. I have also used Quilter's Cache to learn a lot of techniques -- her explanations of block construction are usually right on and you can make wonderful quilts just combining different blocks into patterns or samplers. My fallback is graph paper and colored pencils (even though I have had most of the EQ's and now have 7 -- but it fails when I get creative).
Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Harriet Hargrave has a series called Quilter's Academy, broken down in to Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior years, where she teaches the process of quilting, rather than teaching projects. You might want to check that out.
I agree with all the suggestions for LQS or guild in your area. Maybe a community college as an adult ed class in your area. I learn something everytime I take a class. But for basics if you can get the first of Harriet's academy books it takes you through some simple but nice projects that will help you learn and perfect some basics. I find the book one of the best investments I have made and it has improved my techniques and understanding.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM

The best way I learned to quilt was thru a sampler quilt at my LQS. The instructor was there to give individual instruction to each of us when we had difficulty. That would be my recommendation.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 PM

I would recommend Harriet Hargrave's books also - they will teach you a lot about cutting, sewing and quilting. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

I like the book called "quilts! Quilts! Quilts"
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM

I took my first class at Joanns and have also taken them at my LQS and quilt shows

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 07-30-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 PM

While teaching classes, I like to watch the students, so I can see how they interpreted what I said. Then I can help the individual on the problems she's having. So I recommend classes at a lqs. I self taught quilting with a Judy Martin Block book: sampler quilt. I had 30 yrs sewing experience, some professional. Also like the book "Quilts, Quilts, Quilts".
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM

I agree with TexasSunshine. I took the Quilting Quickly Class. It has lots of information in it and it is fun to watch.