Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Not sure what I did wrong.

Not sure what I did wrong.

This is my first Jelly Roll Race quilt. I wanted to make it crib size, I think I did the math wrong or sewed it incorrectly. I watched the Missouri Star Quilt tutorial on youtube. Mine never did look like the one she was sewing while I sewed it, I didn't ever have straight ends I always had to cut it to make it straight on the bottom before I could put them together to sew another row. It measures 33 inches wide by 59 inches long. I wanted it to be about 52 inches long. Any tips on what I might have done wrong will be greatly appreciated. Oh and I cut 27 2.5 inch strips to do it.

Thanks
    Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick B

Did you sew all your strips end to end first, then discard the first 18" ?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rbechore View Post
    This is my first Jelly Roll Race quilt. I wanted to make it crib size, I think I did the math wrong or sewed it incorrectly. I watched the Missouri Star Quilt tutorial on youtube. Mine never did look like the one she was sewing while I sewed it, I didn't ever have straight ends I always had to cut it to make it straight on the bottom before I could put them together to sew another row. It measures 33 inches wide by 59 inches long. I wanted it to be about 52 inches long. Any tips on what I might have done wrong will be greatly appreciated. Oh and I cut 27 2.5 inch strips to do it.

Thanks
    Rick
    don't know ,but the quilt is a beauty one, may made it to big
    #They Call Me QuickStitch!!

Blog Entries
    Maybe there was not enough variety of fabrics...this is a good way to use up strips in many different lengths...when you do that and don 't repeat the fabric, the quilt is a little more interesting ....the quilt you made will still please to whomever you give it...try a lovely print for the back....I just finished a similar quilt, adding a narrow vertical on the fourth row...I 'll try to post it

This isn't one of my favorite patterns, but when Jenny did it she didn't cut the ends as she sewed, she just cut the first one in half the started sewing end to end. When finished with that step she takes one end and lines it up with the other end and starts sewing, when you get to the fold, cut it, etc. etc. etc. I have seen where others have then taken the quilt and cut it up to make a totally different design. Yours isn't bad, if you like it - finish it.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Well if it's 7 inches longer than you wanted just trim off 7 inches. I think it looks great.

Blog Entries
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  220.6 KBThis attachment doesn't show the quilt,but maybe you can get the idea...I'll keep trying

I agree. I like it a lot. But you don't have to cut the extra inches off. Just cut them to be even. The quilt will have a longer life - in terms of use by the baby as he or she grows. My darling Grandson made one with me for his nephew about two years ago and requested that it be longer so the baby could use it longer.

If you do cut the 7" off, trim the cut off portion off and use it in the backing. That would look cute, too!

Blog Entries
    Love the fabric you used♥ You have the option to make it your design. I like it when a vertical strip is added off center. Some possibilities http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAg&dur=640 and http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/popup...lts_id/1017354

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    Since you cut the strips yourself, could it be that when you sewed the strips end to end you didn't alternate fabric choices enough? I have never done one that did come from an already precut jelly roll and in them you just take the strips as they come so I never thought about what color followed what color. Its still beautiful. Besides erstan947 suggestions you could also cut into blocks for a Rail Fence Quilt. See http://prayerquilt.org/infopages/RailFence.pdf. Either way the colors are great for a baby. Good Job!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    By the way, if you do decide to cut it make sure you add 1/2 inch after you decide how large you want the squares to be to account for the seaming.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    Love the fabric you used♥ You have the option to make it your design. I like it when a vertical strip is added off center. Some possibilities http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAg&dur=640 and http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/popup...lts_id/1017354
    I love some of these options to break it up.

I really think your quilt looks great!! I wouldn't make it smaller on purpose. When I made me "babies" theor quilts there were 42x60 and my babies are now 12 years old and they use them to cover up in front of the tv. I like quuilts that can grow with you...

Thank you all so much for the tips and suggestions it is really going to help me to finish it. I will post a pic when it is complete.
    Rick B

TMK
    Hey Rick....My guild here in Malone had our race at quilt camp this past winter. It was pretty fun. Did take some prep to get the length of strips to lay flat all the way through. Our winner did it in less than 28 minutes. I came in 3rd at 34 minutes. O you belong the the guild there. TMK

It looks good, even if it wasn't quite what you wanted it is still a nice one. By all means finish it. You could add an applique somewhere to make even more different.

Blog Entries
    I don't see a thing wrong. Finish it. You'll be surprised how good it looks. Put a pretty border on it and it'll be a good one.

I was going to suggest what Barny did - add a border. If you'd like it to be more square, just cut it to the length you want and then add borders all around. You can then unsew the strips you've cut off, sew them end to end and use them as binding which will bring the whole thing together.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Rick, I think it looks great! One thing that might have changed things is that most jelly rolls are about 40 strips. I just quilted one and the sides were not straight. I quilted it and then trimmed it up. You could add a border if you wanted to make it wider. If you need to trim off some of the length 1st, I would use that in a pieced back.

I lived in Plattsburgh twice! My dad was stationed at the AFB the 1st time and the 2nd time we moved back there when my dad went to Vietnam. I went to Oak St Elementary and Plattsburgh JR high. My uncle moved there after the base was closed and lived in some of the base housing that had been renovated for seniors. I used to go to summer camp on Silver Lake. We could see Whiteface from the end of the lake. Miss the Adirondacks...lived in the desert for 20+ years! be sure to post a picture when you are finished!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

The result depends on the length of the strips as well as how many you use. I think it's pretty, but it might be a little long and narrow for a crib. Babies don't sleep with blankets or quilts and such these days because of concerns about SIDS, so it will be used for "tummy time" on the floor, and maybe in the car or stroller. If you want to adjust the dimensions, you could use a seam ripper to take off several rows and maybe add a border. In fact, if you split it down the middle and added, say, 8" borders, you could have two nice little baby quilts. If you don't want the double rows, you could unstitch between them and turn one end 180 degrees. Whatever you decide, it will be fine, and someone will be thrilled to get it.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I like it the way it is!!!
    There is no place like home!