Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who or what would you recommend?

Blog Entries

Who or what would you recommend?

I'm still fairly new to quilting ? I have done a few small projects for myself & family members, I am self taught but my points never match, I don't know how to square up a quilt, Etc, and not sure really what I'm really doing or how I'm doing things wrong. I have been watching YouTube videos and they have all been very helpful. But everyone seams to have a different way of doing things. I would like to learn from one instructor and once I get comfortable cutting & piecing get other suggestions that may make things easier & faster for me. My question to all of you out there who Or what you tube series would you suggest would help me with the basics of quilting?
    Thank you for any & all suggestions
    Sue

If you have a LQS, see if they have any classes. When I began a couple years ago, I took a set of classes to make a sampler. The instructor started with the basics and went on from there. She taught us how to square up (fabric and squares), the easiest way to match things up, how to make flying geese, the easiest way to make HST, etc. It was a great learning experience and I made great friends with the instructor and other classmates. We still meet twice a month to quilt (or talk, or both).

If you don't have a LQS nearby, Google quilting guilds in your area. Some of the members locally may teach or be able to point you in the right direction in your area.

I hope this helps you.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

I agree with Rubesgirl. I also took classes at a LQS. I personally need hands on instruction. We made a sampler and learned the basics. I still feel that LQS is my "quilting home". Hopefully you have access to something like this. Good Luck and hang in there.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you don't have a LQS, you might Craftsy classes helpful.

I've learned a LOT from Missouri Star Quilting Company - youtube videos.
    You might try there if there are no local quilt shop classes.
    Or, if you know someone that quilts or seek out a quilting group. Bet they would be glad to help you.

The Quilting Quickly series on Craftsy by MSQCo, Jenny Doan are very good. I think she simplifies a lot of techniques and explains things well. Also a lot of her videos on YouTube and her magazines are very helpful.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I took my first quilting class at my LQS, but also found the Craftsy classes to be really helpful. The camera work is good they have a lot of close up shots.

I would encourage you to see if there is a guild in your area. There is a wealth of info and experience you can draw on, free of charge most of the time. Kind of like this board only in person. And you might wind up making some great new friends!
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork

"Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

I would suggest Jenny Doan's Quilting Quickly class on Craftsy. It is 19.99 and is designed for new quilters. You can access your class any time 24/7, hit the 30second replay button, watch a whole or part of a class over and over as many times as you need.
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

I agree, Jenny Dean is a great teacher.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast