Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese? >

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Old 02-10-2015, 05:01 AM

Perhaps part of you problem is that a tri-recs block is NOT the same as a flying geese block and cannot be treated the same way. If it is a new technique or block to me, I always practice on scrap fabric first--until I am happy with my result. There is a definite learning curve to using the tri-recs templates and sewing the blocks. I found them much more difficult than regular flying geese.

Try drawing the pattern on graph paper and then use scrap material to see if it would be easier to paper piece. That might help with all the diagonal edges. You can still use the special rulers to cut the needed pieces.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
The newest Love of Quilting magazine (March/April issue) has the formula for how to make 4 flying geese units at the same time. Flying Geese blocks are the next round in my medallion quilt so this came just at the right time.

Determine the finished size -- cut small pieces 7/8 " larger than finished height of the FG unit. Cut large square 1 1/4" larger than the finished width. (finished size 2 x 4 -- cut small squares 2 7/8" and large squares 5 1/4") Good luck with your flying geese! I'm going to try this method tomorrow!
This is my favorite method and they come out perfect!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Have an experienced quilter/teacher watch as you make one to help determine what (if anything!) you are doing wrong. Observing and making slight changes for you can give a world of help!

Jan in VA
I know many of you don't want to hear this but going down to your LQS and having someone show you what you are doing wrong can be very enlightening as Jan posted. If you use the method Tartan mentioned, you need to draw an accurate stitch line and must sew just inside the line. I prefer the EB method that luvstoquilt 301 posted. I had to make over 100 flying geese and I found this method that the geese came out perfect. You can make any adjustments when you place the trim up ruler. If a seam is just a bit crooked, you can still fix it. You don't need to buy her specialty ruler. Mark any ruler you have with the lines you use to line up the geese.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by grma33 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7WQ..._sweaEMWR9SGMuI use to struggle too until I bought this deb tucker ruler chek out the link
Gale
This was going to be my suggestion, too. Deb's rulers are the best I have found for making accurate blocks. In addition to her Wing Clipper for flying geese, she has other rulers that have helped me become a much better piecer. I always thought I was pretty accurate in both cutting and sewing, but I wasn't always happy with the results - especially with flying geese. Love her rulers! (No, I'm not affiliated in any way with Deb Tucker or her company - I am just a very satisfied customer.)
Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 AM

I also find El Burns method the best.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:14 AM

No Waste Method for Making FG...4 at a time.

http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf
Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

I have found the No Waste Dutchman's puzzle flying geese works for me really well. Videos all over YouTubefor flying geese.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 AM

I HATE flying geese, yet I keep making quilts that use them. Thanks for all the suggestions. I may have to learn how to paper piece just for geese!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 AM

Oh, I can't make them perfect either. I'm weary of trying to be "perfect." I do the best I can and am happy with that. If you are determined to get them exact, try getting an experienced person watch what you do. That works for me.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Most all the problems with flying geese begins with how the sky pieces are placed on the goose piece before sewing.