Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese? >

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by grma33 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7WQ..._sweaEMWR9SGMuI use to struggle too until I bought this deb tucker ruler check out the link
Gale
This method is the easiest with no waste! I like the "no waste" concept. But you don't really need the special ruler. Any small ruler with a diagonal line on it will work. You need at least one diagonal line to line up.

Another site that shows how to do this is: http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf

You just have to get used to the strange pieces that come out after the first two squares have been sewn on, cut and pressed open. Do it a few times and it will seem less strange because you will start to see the flyng goose.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:53 AM

Ricky Martin has a tutorial on making easy flying geese. Sorry I don't know how to get the site onto this message but it should be easy enough to find. He's the guy who works with Alex Anderson. I just watched it going from the 10-minute block and this RM was shown along the side of the page.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:55 AM

Ricky Tims has a tutorial to make real easy flying geese. He's the one who is often seen with Alex Anderson.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Once I switched to using the E. Burns Flying Geese rulers---I had no problems. They come out perfect every time. You start out with 2 different sized squares on top of eachother. I have them in every size she makes.
Yes I agree with this. Once you get the technique down, and it is pretty easy, you can make them by the dozens in every size. Sometimes I just make stacks of flying geese for later, I can use them in scrap quilts in lots of patterns. Watch Eleanor's videos on her Quilt In A Day web site. Easy Peasy
Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 AM

I'm another Deb Tucker fan. Her "Wing Clipper" tool is great, and very versatile. I used to waste far more fabric making mistakes than I "waste" using the Wing Clipper.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Did it work well?

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
The newest Love of Quilting magazine (March/April issue) has the formula for how to make 4 flying geese units at the same time. Flying Geese blocks are the next round in my medallion quilt so this came just at the right time.

Determine the finished size -- cut small pieces 7/8 " larger than finished height of the FG unit. Cut large square 1 1/4" larger than the finished width. (finished size 2 x 4 -- cut small squares 2 7/8" and large squares 5 1/4") Good luck with your flying geese! I'm going to try this method tomorrow!
Old 02-11-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If I need Flying Geese, I always use the method where I use a rectangle and place squares on each end of the rectangle. I sew the diagonal on one square and flip out the fabric (trim the extra away on the corner) and then do the other side in the same way.
This is how I do my flying geese. My problem comes with the pressing. So many seams when put together that I run into issues on which way to go.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:34 AM

Jan, the Taos pattern is lovely and I am sure it will work out. I had trouble with flying geese also and I recommend either the Deb Tucker Wing Clipper ruler - for pieced geese of certain sizes only - or doing it by paper piecing. You can make your own pattern for the size you need, then do a strip of 6 or 8 geese - or they have them free on the internet.
Good luck!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Usually best to cut a bit bigger and trim down. You can decide how much waste by how much bigger you cut the squares.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 AM

I totally agree with luvstoquilt301. There are so many ways to make flying geese units and I've tried them all. By far the Eleanor Burns FG rulers give me the perfect units with no wobbling on corners and all my points are perfect. I love to make flying geese and would highly recommend these rulers to everyone, especially beginners. Why struggle when you can make perfect geese each and every time with this method.