Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters? >

Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters?

Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters?

Old 04-04-2017, 12:02 PM

I like a controlled scrappy look, so I buy fat quarters to allow me to blend lots of fabrics, or to give lots of variety. If I'm making a small project, a fat quarter can be a good amount (for example, 4-6 fat quarters plus 1 yard of a constant can make a nice baby quilt). Bags and other small projects work well with fat quarters, where a quarter yard would be too long and narrow.

I also buy them as souvenirs when I'm travelling. When it's just a fat quarter, I don't feel like I have to use it; I can save it for as long as I want. Many of them do make their way into quilts eventually, but I don't feel any obligation to use them.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 PM

I do quite a bit of applique and find the size of fat quarters works well for cutting out applique pieces.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
I don't buy precuts at all. I don't like making quilts with a bunch of different prints to balance out. I tend to use just 2-3 different colors in a pattern, so usually but 2-3 yards of anything.
This is my preference as well. Plus I don't maintain a 'stash' per se. I buy per project. As primarily a hand quilter, it takes me a while to finish a quilt! I'm afraid if I bought x amount of a specific project 'just because I like it', I'd have no clue to what use it for later and/or change my mind about how much I like it!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:14 PM

I'll buy fat quarters because you can do a lot with them. I find smaller precuts too limiting, although I will buy a layer cake once in a while if I need a quick quilt.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:48 PM

For someone wanting to acquire a variety of fabrics, you can buy twice as many 1/4 yard pieces as you could 1/2 yd. pieces, and an 18x22 piece has more potential uses than a 9x44 piece. If you're the type that falls in love with fabric lines, the fat quarter bundle is a great way to acquire the entire line. As someone said above, you can usually get a couple of quilts out of a fat quarter bundle.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:04 PM

I love them for scrappy's (controlled or not) and also love them for applique especially on baby quilts where you need some but not too much. Plus my LQS in Houston when we lived there used to have a lot of FQ sales -- I think they sold off most of their clearance that way!

It's great to have a lot to choose from when you can't afford a yard of a whole coordinating line too!
Old 04-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
I love them for scrappy's (controlled or not) and also love them for applique especially on baby quilts where you need some but not too much. Plus my LQS in Houston when we lived there used to have a lot of FQ sales -- I think they sold off most of their clearance that way!

It's great to have a lot to choose from when you can't afford a yard of a whole coordinating line too!
It's hard for me to picture wanting the whole coordinating line.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Over the years I have collected a lot of fat quarters. I decided to do something with them. I bought this ruler and started making Starburst blocks. What fun! I don't try to match the fabric, just use contrasting whatever the color. I'm using cream background. I deliberately put two fabric together that in no way I'd pick to go together. I make a a few blocks in between other projects. I am using up a lot of fat quarters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYLIVgDaChU

If you make this block pm me I have some learned tips.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

when they are on sale at JA's, like last week for .75 it's a steal of a deal. I make just about anything with them. they are great to add color to your stash. A lot of the patterns I use just call for a bit. I do a lot of applique and i get my variety that way. Even other crafts that i do, or somewhere along a project, i use a fat quarters fabric. I like them better than a lineal quarter yard, i get more use out them.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

onebyone, i just watched that on YOUTUBE,
I love the block she did, a i want the ruler now, too.