Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters? >

Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters?

Why are quilters so excited about fat quarters?

Old 04-04-2017, 03:46 PM

I love fat quarters for variety. They are great for small projects. (postcards, toppers, mug rugs ect.....) The possibilities are limitless. They sometimes fit my small budget better. And, I feel like I'm getting a small treat. To each his own. Happy crafting!!

Last edited by Judith1005; 04-04-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:11 PM

I typically don't buy any precuts but will sometimes buy FQ when working on something that needs a more scrappy appearance (think Bonnie Hunter mystery quilts) and just don't have enough variety in a certain colorway. I've also done a couple of quilts that the pattern has you start with a bundle of FQ and both worked well. One caution--on one of those quilts the FQ needed to be trimmed and some of my FQ were a little short of the 18x22 needed to square up the FQ and still get the correct amount.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
They are the only precut I will buy now; I love them because I love scrappy and I'm able to get an entire line of fabric at a reasonable price and I'm usually able to make more than one quilt from them as well. I now have far too many charm packs, jelly rolls and layer cakes that I'm trying to get through because many are not cut correctly and are exasperating to work with.
s
Ditto. tallchick, my thoughts exactly. I'm slowly cutting my charm packs and jelly rolls into 2.5" charms and swapping them in my swaps, because otherwise they are useless to me. When I am done my quilts I order yardage for boarders or backing if at all.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:31 PM

I like the variety and they don't take up a lot of room.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:33 PM

I buy them because I love fabric! haha I like having a variety of patterns and colors to choose from when making scrappy type quilts. I also buy fat quarters to make the microwavable potholder bowl. I found some with the Batman symbol, some with Star Wars, and some with footballs. They were perfect for the friends I made them for and I didn't have to buy a big amount of fabric.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 PM

I love fat quarters! I do a lot of applique, and small wall hangings, and find them perfect for that. The price is right, and I've found some wonderful designs, and beautiful fabrics. I'm currently picking up batik FQ's and have gotten some really gorgeous ones.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:10 AM

I love the variety fat quarters give me as I love doing scrappy quilts.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:00 AM

I was once addicted to fat quarters as I imagined myself making all sorts of scrap quilts. Thankfully, I've cured myself of the addiction and am selling off fabric that I will never use up in a million years!!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 AM

To me a FQ allows me to make a 12 inch cut of fabric. I love layer cakes, but sometimes, I need that extra 2 inches for the outside of a block.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:32 AM

FQs are very versatile and like someone else said they do not take up much room. Most of my stash is FQs. If you do a Google search on projects you can make with FQs you will be surprised with what you can make.