Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wish Mom Was Here >

Wish Mom Was Here

Wish Mom Was Here

Old 06-13-2016, 05:44 PM

Hello Dan, and welcome to the board from another 50 year old man!

You question is a good one and you have received some good answers. Definitely use 100% cotton fabric, and only use it if you like how it feels. Good quality fabric is easily distinguishable because it feels nice, has a good weight, and you won't be able to see through it when you hold it in front of your face. The brands mentioned are all good. In addition, Michael Miller, Timeless Treasures, Andover, Benartex, Marcus Brothers, and Henry Glass are good brands.

As for quantities, if you want to start with squares, I would buy a fat quarter collection and cut it into squares. I have bought collections from Missouri Star and Connecting Threads and been very pleased with them. A FQ can be cut into 12 squares with a 2.5" strip left over, and it will be good practice using your rotary cutter.

Don't feel like you HAVE to collect a stash to make quilts. For your first few projects I would buy what I needed for each quilt with a bit extra fo cutting errors. What you don't use will become part of your stash automatically.

Any time you have a question just post it here and you will get lots of advice. And even though many answers will be different they are probably just different approaches to the same end. Also if you want to post progress pics we would love to see the process.

Most important - HAVE FUN! This is a great hobby!

Darren
Old 06-13-2016, 05:52 PM

Yes! I forgot about asking questions here. When I first started, six years ago, I couldn't figure out how to change the blade in my rotary cutter. One question here and I had the answer in one minute! Wonderful place. There is always someone awake at any time with an answer.

Dina
Old 06-13-2016, 06:43 PM

"Mastering Precision Piecing" by Sally Collins is excellent. She has also written about drafting your own quilt blocks. Any book by Judy Martin has priceless information that often runs counter to what is generally accepted as gospel in the quilting world. Much as I like Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Co., she is more slapdash in her approach. Please don't limit yourself. Your mother did not become a fabric snob overnight, her opinions were formed over time and application. If you don't experiment, you will never know the difference. I often order from Marshall Dry Goods, love them because they will answer a question about fabric, but I still love to go into the stores and feel the fabric. There are several men who are well known in the sewing community, David Coffin and Kenneth King. David Coffin's book on sewing shirts is a classic treasure. Speaking of shirts, Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com has several books out on sewing quilts from fabric retrieved from men's shirts she has bought in thrift stores. Enjoy your journey. I hope your recovery from injury is filled with discovery.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 PM

This link will take you to a 5 part series of how to start out.

While some don't think it's important to know the history and how to's of what it takes to make a quilt, I find it is easy to understand if I have all the background information.

This also goes into the types of fabrics, batting, machine feet, tools, etc.

Rather lengthy but well worth the read in my opinion.

http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resourc...-need-part-1-5
Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 PM

Welcome Dan to the quilting world and the Board! My husband is a master carpenter and I notice we often use similar skills-so you will find many skills you've developed in your leather crafting will transfer to quilting. As mentioned before craftsy.com is a good source for some free classes and they have many to purchase also(not now, but perhaps later-only buy them when on sale though). If you go to the website to check it out, do a search for "free quilting classes" to narrow things down and not be overwhelmed. The classes are yours forever and you can access them 24/7. YouTube is also a good resource. This board is awesome, has many great tutorials in the "Tutorials" area and you get answers to most questions very quickly. There are a good number of men in the quilting world so make yourself at home, we look forward to getting to know you!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:49 PM

I started out by buying a book with the pattern and detailed instructions for a small wall hanging. It gave me a chance to learn piecing, border, mitered corners, binding, batting, etc. on a small scale. I knew to use 100% cotton fabric, but it gave me a chance to handle the fabric. When I finished the small project, I had learned basics and some confidence. If you are looking for quality fabrics, look for major name brands such as Moda. I am never disappointed with Moda. This is especially important if you are buying online and can't handle the fabric before buying.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:07 PM

Hi Dan, welcome to the board. If you are able to be out and about I would suggest that you go to a Quilt Show where you will not only have the opportunity to view a large display of beautiful quilts but will also be able to visit with other quilters. There will also be vendors there with yards and yards of fabric sold by the yard, fat quarters or most any of your precut packages. There will be patterns for all skill levels, various quilting books, thread, needles and just about every kind of quilting tool on the market. I believe this would be something you would really enjoy.

Enjoy your quilting journey.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:05 PM

Welcome Dan . You will get plenty of advice and help on this site. Don't forget to ask if the seams don't nest properly or the colours don't look right. We like pictures of on going quilts. I look forward to your first flimsy(quilt top pieced), before sandwiching and quilting.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:24 AM

Keepsake Quilting and Connecting Threads have wonderful fabrics and they have kits that come with the pattern and good prices so you may want to check their sites. They send the kits and/or fabrics quickly and the quality is good. You may want to try them as well as Missouri Quilt Company - my three places I begin with when looking for kits or fabrics.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:32 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the quilting world Dan. We do have a few members that are quilters here. You might want to start watching some video from Eleanor Burns
https://www.quiltinaday.com/television/
and Missouri Quilt Company
https://www.youtube.com/user/MissouriQuiltCo/videos
They both have very informative videos to watch. I would also suggest going to your local quilt store and making friends with the employees. They can be a quilter's best friend. Remember, our members live all over the earth so there is always someone to help you with advice at any time!