Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worst quilting item purchased >

Worst quilting item purchased

Worst quilting item purchased

Old 06-21-2015, 10:28 AM

My worst buy is also a rotary blade sharpener. I wish I had used the money to buy new blades instead! I also wish I hadn't bought the Supreme Slider but I know lots of people like theirs.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I don't have any bad gadgets or specialty rulers, but just wanted to add that I have given up on getting my good metal scissors professionally sharpened-- such as Ginghers and Mondials. They are never like new after sharpening, just have new annoyances to deal with, so now I just buy a new pair when I need them. I'm worth it!
Old 06-21-2015, 12:40 PM

My worst purchases were two Omni-Grid/Omni-Grip rulers, one of each type. Absolutely hated them. I sent one to the west coast for postage and am tempted to 'frisbee' the other one into the woods just to be rid of it but I'd be afraid of hurting a bear. I haven't used it for years and years.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:10 PM

the seam ripper with a magnifying glass. the thing is just too unwieldy for me to use.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:29 PM

Years ago I bought a June Tailer Shape Cut for cutting strips. I must press weird on the rotary cutter because I never could get a good straight cut with it. Now it just hangs on a peg unused. Can't remember how much I paid for it but whatever the cost, it was a waste for me.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
My worst purchases were two Omni-Grid/Omni-Grip rulers, one of each type. Absolutely hated them. I sent one to the west coast for postage and am tempted to 'frisbee' the other one into the woods just to be rid of it but I'd be afraid of hurting a bear. I haven't used it for years and years.
ghostrider, just curious what brand of rulers have you found that work for you? I'm currently looking for rulers that I can more clearly see the fabric and the markings. No luck so far...
Old 06-21-2015, 02:07 PM

My "collection" of rotary blade sharpeners!!! What a waste of money.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:26 PM

I love gadgets, but for the ones that are a waste of money. I have to go with the several different binding tools I bought and ended up using my little Creative Grid ruler. I also agree with those saying "rotary blade sharpeners." I bought just one and it didn't work. I have read reviews on the others and keep hearing the same thing.

I also bought a couple of Creative Grid rulers for cutting shapes out of 2 1/2" strips and ending up selling them because I don't use them. I also bought the Bias Strip ruler(?) from Quilt in A Day, but have never used it. I am going to sell it as well.

In response, to suern3, I love my Creative Grid rulers, but I am getting more discerning on which ones I buy.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:44 PM

I'm not that big on gadgets, but after spending a week visiting and sewing with a friend in CO who is a gadget collector, I bought a few things. Most will never be used-- an LED light that clips onto your glasses to better illuminate your stitching (never aimed correctly plus was difficult as I only sometimes use cheaters and not always), a blade sharpener (what everyone else has said--total waste of money; thankfully I got a cheap one), a pounce pad for marking quilting designs (why did I think loose powder was a good idea?). I am sure there were a few other things that I have forgotten (since they have never been used)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 09:50 AM. Reason: language
Old 06-21-2015, 03:27 PM

I guess it would have to be books that I have bought. And thimbles that didn't work right and even the ones that do I still stab my finger at times.