Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Would there be any reason NOT to use this as backing?

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....2-3f76355e36c4

Lightweight, 100% cotton. It says dry clean, but as long as you prewash, dry "in the manner" you would for the quilt....why couldn't/wouldn't you use this?

$2.44/yd seems like a sweet deal...

It might be that really thin stuff, you might be better off using a pretty sheet.

Home Dec fabrics typically do not hold the ink/dye as well ( they fade in the wash faster) when washed , thats why even though they are labeled 100 percent cotton they put a dry clean only label on the fabric, as well as for shrinkage... since they are not pre-shrunk.
    I have used Home Dec fabrics in quilting when I know its an item that will not be washed very much.
    If you like it and the potential for quicker fading in the wash is not an issue ... go for it ... it really is a bargain!

i tend to stick to medium weight fabrics- the lightweight ones sometimes are really really thin--fab.com offers swatches- before buying enough for a back i would order a swatch and decide if it is appropriate or not. sometimes when it says dry clean if you wash it it tightens up the weave and gives the fabric some nice body-
    so order a swatch- wash & dry it and then decide---quilt worthy???

I wash "dryclean only" fabrics on a regular basis, and it almost always works out just fine. Like you said, I wash and dry in the manner I'll be washing/drying later to make sure I won't have problems with fading or shirking later.

Blog Entries
    Also, it would be difficult to keep the stripes straight. If they get a little wonky, it would take away from the look of the back.

If you are using it for a wall hanging....sure...

If for a quilt, that will be washed and dried many times...I don't think so.

Stripes and I had a fight the other day. Stripes won ;-(. Im boycotting stripes now, so there. (haha) But thats just me so my vote is a no on this one.

Thanks, guys! :D

It's hard to know what 'lightweight' means when talking about a home dec fabric. But I've found they have a tendency to ravel.