Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you fix or buy another? >

Would you fix or buy another?

Would you fix or buy another?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:52 AM

These machines are computers. I agree, if you like your machine, go for the fix unless you want a newer machine with newer features that you don't currently have. I assume that you sew a lot. We give these machines a workout. Might be Worth the fix.

Though I just upgraded my Janome purchased in 2005-06 for a newer model with desired features. It is 2014. The machines evolve.

Sandy
Old 02-07-2014, 06:46 AM

Thank you for all your replies! Everyone affirmed what I think I already knew I should do. I love my Bernina and Yes a new machine would be great with a few of those extras I dream about but is it worth spending over $2000 rather than $400 at this time? Probably not. At least if I fix it I can use it as a trade if I chose to upgrade at a later date.

Cathyre I did turn it on and left it on for most of a day as I kept trying to get it to work. It would not let me use the memory function so I thought it was me and that I forgot how to use that function, it would sew straight stitches (not perfect) but would not do other stitches correctly.

Thank you all again, I really love my daily visits to this site for all the information, encouragement and help that is offered. I have learned so much just reading the posts.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by cathyre View Post
I have just been talking to my Bernina Tech (Son) and he has suggested if you haven't turned
on the machine for awhile you turn it on and just let it sit for a hour or so on. There is a jelly in the board that can go a little on solid side , can also happen in the cold you have to warm the jell up again and your machine will work again , it is something they have recovered happens with that model machine . Worth a try , Cathy
Your son is a Bernina Tech? You obviously raised him well!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cathyre View Post
I have just been talking to my Bernina Tech (Son) and he has suggested if you haven't turned
on the machine for awhile you turn it on and just let it sit for a hour or so on. There is a jelly in the board that can go a little on solid side , can also happen in the cold you have to warm the jell up again and your machine will work again , it is something they have recovered happens with that model machine . Worth a try , Cathy
Does he make house calls?? I have been wanting to take my Bernina in for basic servicing but being disable with a walker, it is going to be very hard to get it onto the bus and take it to the dealership !! It is running OK but I always had my car serviced and I believe it is important to treat our sewing machine with the same respect. I LOVE my Bernina 1530 !!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:11 AM

Reading posts like these makes me appreciate my mechanical machine even more. It may not have all the features of the newer machines but I don't have to worry about mother boards, screens, timing etc.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:19 AM

The same thing happened to my Brother 8500. They said they had to replace the mother board and it would cost $500. Needless to say I junked it
Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

The new computer machines have parts that can't last years. If you buy one thinking it will last you a lifetime, think again.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 AM

My rule of thumb is; if it repair costs are close to the replacement price, buy new...unless there I have an attachment to the equipment (it was a gift , an inheritance, etc).
Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 AM

If you have another sewing machine service anywhere near you, please take it for a second opinion. Sewing machine mechanics, like doctors, can be wrong. For that much money I would seek another bid.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 AM

I have had your situation. Several years ago I had to replace the mother board in my Bernina 1130. It was a good choice because I really liked the machine and it is a real workhorse. The machine is now 29 years old and still works perfectly. I also had to replace another computer board at some point but I knew it was worth it. To replace the machine with one having the same capabilities would have cost several thousand dollars. If you were to replace your machine you would probably have to replace some or most of the attachments you use to quilt with. Even if you buy the same brand the attachments you have will not fit your new machine. It is called planned obsolescence. Be sure that you count all of the costs before deciding what to do. I would also recommend that you take it to a Bernina dealer and technician rather than just a sewing machine store that deals with several brands.