Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you fix or buy another? >

Would you fix or buy another?

Would you fix or buy another?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by celwood View Post
The same thing happened to my Brother 8500. They said they had to replace the mother board and it would cost $500. Needless to say I junked it

I have an 8500 that I L O V E, but I was told the parts aren't even available anymore (by three different dealers) so it cannot be fixed. I have practically cried a river over it, because I loved that machine - it was the first one I had that I had a "connection" with that really got me in to sewing. Maybe yours is one of the Disney machines? I understand parts are still available for them but not the original 8500.

I would seriously pay $500 to keep my machine in working order, but ... it's not possible.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:04 AM

I have a brother quilter. I lost one of the rubber push things. I enquired on price to repair £300 plus anything else they find and service as it needed a new board. Well I found a wooden stick and puch it onto the board to make that point work. Cost £0 . And I serviced and electric checked myself.
Cousin then did his electric chech for pat testing.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 PM

I got lucky. Someone advertised an 1130 for $500. Checked it out and it looked like new. It had been her MIL's and when she passed, the machine just sat for a year or so because the DIL didn't sew. She just wanted to get rid of it. It came with about 20 presser feet, attachments and other things, extension table, the original warranty card (owner's copy) from 1990, the original manuals and bobbins. I took it to my local Bernina dealer to get it serviced and he was astonished at what great shape it was in. He said that there were a couple springs he'd like to replace when he serviced it next time but otherwise there was nothing wrong with the machine at all after he cleaned and oiled it. The service cost me $85. What a great deal! I LOVE this machine. It's a true workhorse with a powerful motor. I have not regretted one penny I spent for it and after looking at the prices for the new machines, I would much rather keep this one running rather than pay thousands for a new model. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it sews a beautiful straight quarter-inch seam, effortlessly! :-)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:44 AM

I am so late in replying to this. I really appreciate the advice from this board, thank you all. I did get my machine fixed it took 12 weeks, so I was sewing on a small Janome. It turned out it was 2 boards and not just 1, so the service center kept sending for the same new board as they thought it was bad. The machine had to be sent to the factory to be fixed at their expense. It came back in perfect running order!!! I was so happy and the cost was $278 instead of the $400 quoted. I am much happier now that it is back home.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:48 AM

Yay! I'm glad you got your "baby" back in good working order, and for less than quoted! That never seems to happen!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Our sewing machine are so much like our cars. Yes, bearisgray has it right. How much would be a new DSM be and how well do you enjoy your Bernina? I have a Bernina 1530 and I am so lucky that there has been NO major repair replace except for the do-dad that holds the bobbin. I was using can air to clean my machine and rust started to form.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:37 AM

I finally got my machine fixed too. I got a new computer screen and new gears. It was in the shop for 7 weeks and cost me nearly $800. I picked it up on the 11th of August and took it back on Monday the 25th. It sounds like there's a cricket on steroids when I sew at my preferred speed (fast) It is supposed to get looked at today. It better not cost me any more and I hope I get it back by Friday or Monday!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!