Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you fix or buy another? >

Would you fix or buy another?

Would you fix or buy another?

Old 02-08-2014, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Your son is a Bernina Tech? You obviously raised him well!
Yes he is wonderful , can fix anything on a machine put in front of him , he has
worked for he same dealership for the pat 25 years , started in the days when he had to sign papers and do training for 4 years , Bernina think he is great they fly him other side of the world for his input into new machines .I am a very lucky Mum ..and he makes house calls to his Mum's anytime I need it . Cathy
Old 02-08-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by cathyre View Post
Yes he is wonderful , can fix anything on a machine put in front of him , he has
worked for he same dealership for the pat 25 years , started in the days when he had to sign papers and do training for 4 years , Bernina think he is great they fly him other side of the world for his input into new machines .I am a very lucky Mum ..and he makes house calls to his Mum's anytime I need it . Cathy
So maybe he can get u a brand new one at an employee discount?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Does he make house calls?? I have been wanting to take my Bernina in for basic servicing but being disable with a walker, it is going to be very hard to get it onto the bus and take it to the dealership !! It is running OK but I always had my car serviced and I believe it is important to treat our sewing machine with the same respect. I LOVE my Bernina 1530 !!
Yes they do make house calls , but it is a little far from Western Australia Some of their older customers they will even deliver back to them , it is old company that believes in service ..
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
So maybe he can get u a brand new one at an employee discount?
I already have 4 of them top of the range , don't need a new one they did give me a discount I was happy with, but then I do keep them supplied with tons of sample and quilts to hang in the showroom , they have six hanging up new one this week. Cathy
Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 AM

I would get another opinion. I had the same diagnosis from a Bernina dealer on my 30+year old 1100. Took it to another dealer and had it fixed for $100.
I would also contact Bernina directly - their machines are built to last longer than 8 years - thus the inital cost!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:13 AM

Odd that it died so early. I have a 230 that I use primarily for piecing but the machine I use for FMQ (the heavy stuff) is a 140 that I bought in 2000 and it's still going strong. Even the high intensity light I had put on instead of the regular bulb is still working. Think what it would cost you to buy a comparable machine, how much you use the 240 and its ease of use and reliability compared to a cheaper machine. I'd go for the repair. $279 to replace a board that lasted at least 8 years of possibly heavy use is not bad (although I think it should have lasted longer). The service alone is something that you should do once a year. My Bernina repairman explained that he uses 5 different oils when he cleans and lubricates my machine in lots of places I can't get to. I figure it's worth it as I've had Berninas since 1978, get them regularly serviced and have only had one small spring break (and I was still using it with the broken spring).
Old 02-08-2014, 06:51 AM

I went through that with a machine I bought in 1997, $2500 machine on sale for $1800. I could pay $400 for a new mother board, but they would not give any warranty and if it didn't last when I took the machine home I would be out the money. Even though the repair was less than a new machine I opted to buy a new one. I got a new machine on sale for $1100 that had a larger throat and (most important) a new warranty. It was definitely worth it.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Does he make house calls?? I have been wanting to take my Bernina in for basic servicing but being disable with a walker, it is going to be very hard to get it onto the bus and take it to the dealership !! It is running OK but I always had my car serviced and I believe it is important to treat our sewing machine with the same respect. I LOVE my Bernina 1530 !!
If you put in a request, someone might volunteer to pick it up and deliver??
Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 AM

The rule for appliances is if the repair cost I'd one-half or more of a new appliance, do not repair. I think the same can be applied to a sewing machine. If you like the machine, fix it.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Shop repair prices....They differ greatly....I use to pay 125.00 for a standard cleaning with more added to the price if any repair was needed...I found a great repairman that charges me 50 dollars to service my machine and is very reasonable for parts and labor...