Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your experience and suggestions would be appreciated. >

Your experience and suggestions would be appreciated.

Your experience and suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Default Your experience and suggestions would be appreciated.

I want to make a quilt for a returning soldier, a friends nephew. The friend wants me to make a medallion type quilt with the attached Marine Flag in the center. It measures 3' X 5'. Now my problem, the flag itself is a unsubstantial polyester somewhat similar to what you find in garment linings. I want to do several things; reinforce the fabric in the flag and in the process give it a better "hand", I would like to do some Trapunto on the large shapes and ultimately quilt the whole flag. This will be a bed size quilt so it will have regular rounds outside the flag that will bring it up to size. Keeping these three goals in mind can you give be suggestions and tips about how I can get the best results?
Attached Thumbnails p5230001.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 03:56 PM

Personally, I wouldn't use the flag, I'd replicate it with applique.

For example - here is a family crest I made.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]476536[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails crest.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Is the flag washable?? That would be my first question. I was just looking at fabric and there are fabric made with the Marine Corps symbol printed on cotton fabric. Here are some for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Crafts-/1433...e+Corps+fabric

Anything patriotic, I am sure the guy would be so honored with you making him a quilt for his service. If I can be any further assistance, don't hesitate to PM me. My dad served in the Marine Corps during WWII.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:43 PM

I think maybe a wall hanging with the flag and make a quilt with cotton.....
Old 05-23-2014, 05:44 PM

I am a seamstress in a flag company. The flag is probably polyester or maybe nylon and not really suitable for a quilt. Most printed flags are on a white poly which is overprinted with the design. Consequently every needle hole can reveal tiny white poly spots and snag runs, and any removal of stitches can really show. Sometimes a very judicious gentle ironing can coax the fibers back together to minimize the white needle marks, but it can be difficult not to overshrink and cause shine and puckering. Washing can be another nightmare with shrinkage and fading. I've seen fabrics with branch of the military panels which would be a better choice. Search the internet for QOV (Quilts of Valor) sites and photos for inspiration. I think I have some fabric with about 1 1/2" Marine medallions on black that was purchased several years ago. If I find it I'll send a pic to see if you can use it.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 PM

There is a fabric with a decent sized USMC emblem on it. I don't think I have the other half of the pillow panel I used on the back of my son's quilt, but I go look. Try findmyfabric. It would be a shame to give a quilt he can't use because it can't be laundered. Back [ATTACH=CONFIG]476553[/ATTACH] Front [ATTACH=CONFIG]476554[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0269.jpg   100_0270.jpg  
Old 05-24-2014, 03:24 AM

I too would be concerned about the fabric content of the flag. It may even be washable but for me my biggest concern could it withstand the dryer.

The panel that IrishRose has in her quilt is on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USMC-PILLOW-...item20e5bf1aba

... if you wanted to you could applique that emblem from the pillow panel on a red background with the four applique stars and that would be very close to how the flag looks and it would be washable and dryable.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:20 AM

I made a quilt with a police theme. The retired policeman wanted his last city's police patch used. It was too small to add and too detailed to recreate. I found a place that will print on fabric up to 51 inches square. I just sent her a JPEG file of the patch (I found a picture of is on the city's website and saved it). A week later, I had the size I aske for and she waited for payment till I got the block and was happy. The fabric had a nice hand but I fused a light weight interfacing as I was not sure how much quilting I was going to do on it. Here is a picture of the block unquilted, quilted and in the quilt. I would use this company again...and probably will! www.fotosonfabric.com
Attached Thumbnails policepatch2.jpg   kens2.jpg   kens1.jpg  
Old 05-24-2014, 06:02 AM

First, thanks everyone for taking the time to save me from making a serious mistake. Truthfully I thought everyone would suggest backing the flag with flannel or some kind of iron on stabilizer. Boy was I surprised when everyone said, "Don't use it!". Well that's why I asked. Peggi your family crest is beautifully done, I really admire the workwomenship that went into it. Frankly my skills are not up to the challenge and I'm not even sure I would live long enough to complete it. Maniac, thanks for the link. I immediately ordered the panel and will use Betty's suggestion to enlarge a facsimile of the flag I have. Quilts, thanks for your input, you added your voice to a unanimous vote. Monroe, you were the clincher, just have to take the opinion of someone whom has worked directly with the flags as gospel. Irish: As usual your advice is spot on. You did an amazing job on the memory quilt, thank you for sharing. Beth, what an amazing quilt. I have always shied away from the technique of any kind of transfer onto fabric because the hand always seemed so harsh and the printing always looked to faded. The link you provided opens up all kinds of possibilities that I hope to use in the future. Again thanks everyone.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:53 AM

Oooh Beth (Soccrtxi) brought up an idea I'd completely neglected! I've never used the website she posted, but I have used Spoonflower.com. You can upload your design and change it around to be one large panel, or small repeats, or off-set repeats, etc.