Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your opion wanted regarding sergers >

Your opion wanted regarding sergers

Your opion wanted regarding sergers

Old 10-20-2016, 04:40 PM

I use my sergers a lot when making my own curtains and drapes. They are fantastic for clothing and other projects. I would not be without them. I have made many scarves for my dressers and hemming with a rolled hem. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 PM

I have never been able to bond with my serger. I don't use it very much and not sure I will ever buy another one.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:36 PM

I have not used my serger for quilting although one of the stores here does have a class to make a quilt using a serger. That being said I use my serger all the time for making childrens clothes for a charity. I've been sewing for this charity for more that 22 yrs. The first serger I bought was a babylock 25yrs ago. At a sewing retreat put on ASG (Arizona Sewing Guild) the lady behind me had a newer Babylock with the air threading and she "sold" me. It was so amazing and easy!!! I didn't want to pay the price of a new one and went on Ebay and found one for $600 it was the Imagine model at the time about half price of a new one, I think about 8-10 years ago. I was nervous buying it used, oh what if it doesn't work I would be out all that money. But it was perfect. BUT then I wanted a machine that did the cover stitch (explained in an previous post) So... I go on estatesales.net and I always look to see if there is a sewing machine in the pictures if there is and it is convienent for me to stop by I do. Ususally there will be notions or material and sometimes I get lucky and find something that I can use. Well, I got really lucky and found a Babylock Evolve. I wasn't able to try it at the sale but I bought it anyway for $300! I took it for a free class at the store that sells them here and it was missing a little piece that is need to change it to do the cover stitich (my heart sank) but to my surprise it was only $12 yippee! and I love it. And because I have the Imagine which does everything I need which includes a foot to gather and seam at the same time (which I love to use to add a ruffle to the skirt or dress) I keep the Evolve set up in the cover stitch mode. I absolutely love both machines and the air threader I could not do with out! I have heard others say oh but what if I get the air threader ports clogged up... I think that is just an excuse someone will give you to sell you another machine. I have not had one single problem with these machines and I did not even buy them new. What is so cool too is they come with a quick reference guide to change the settings to do different types of seams and it could be any easier, really! I really should sell these machines!!! And a serger is necessary for sewing garments to give a professional finish. You can check out other serger but I wouldn't waste your time.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for responding. I found a link telling all about it. It might be a good way for me to try out using a serger. I make a lot of charity quilts so this is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTV-YSF-48

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
Annaquilts: Kaye Woods 6hr quilt is a good pattern and from there I kinda started going out on my own. Sorry I'm on my phone and bad at links lol. Kaye has a YouTube video that shows you the technique. I've made several quilts for children and adults with her pattern and they've held up great, nice way to do QAYG. I especially like it for kids cause the 6 inch strips show off whatever fun kiddie print they are into at the moment. They go thru the washer and dryer well, not heirloom but meant to be loved to death