Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Quilt Guild.... >

Your Quilt Guild....

Your Quilt Guild....

Old 05-03-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
The only local one I ran across don't seem to take to new members lol
I'm sorry you've experienced that! One of my guilds has been known for being 'clique-y' and our wonderful new president has vowed to stamp that attitude out!
I've heard of another guild from someone on this board that 'assigns' new members with a current guild member.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
I've been curious for some time as to what other quilt guilds do throughout the country and figured I'd ask here.
If you belong to a quilt guild what are some of the things YOUR guild does throughout the year.
Some of the things I've read over the last several months and heard from our area and online by doing a search of what guilds offer many of them are very active and others not so much and some in between.
ANYWAY who is next to share what y'all do and what type of guild are you! I know some guilds are laid back and just friends getting together and some are much larger with few hundred members. Our guild only has 40 something members so we are small compared to others.
Both of my guilds make quilts for charity, of course. But one is so philanthropically determined that we make over 650 a year and donate them to at least 15 organizations, hospitals and non-profits. We meet every week for 5 hours. A small group of us meet twice a month and longarm quilt an average of 25 quilts each time. Others take some home to quilt on their own machines.
During guild meetings one guild offers healthy snacks (and otherwise) during break, brought by members.
Seven guilds in the area participate in a grand quilt show each year (7 Sisters), which was just held this past weekend. Some guilds vote to participate yearly, others every other year. We all work hard and have a great time!

Both of my guilds have a Small Quilt Auction every year. Even while participating in the 7 Sisters show, some guilds choose to have their own quilt show during the year.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 AM

Our guild is a small - around 20 members and meets twice a month. We love to include new members.

We elect officers once a year and our dues are $20.00 -- $15.00 of which goes to our area guild and $5.00 for our local chapter. Each week if you wear your name tag your names goes in a drawing for a door prize. The door prizes are items donated and placed in the door prize box.

Our projects are many. We give nap time guilts to the special needs class at our local elementary school. We also have a stash of quilts to be given to families and children in need. We have done two quilts for our local volunteer fire department to raffle as fund raisers for new equipment. We have also just finished stars for quilts of valor.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:01 AM

Our little group is no where near this organized. We meet once a month for lunch, show and tell, sometimes a project and lots of talking. It is a blast. We did do the "Just One Star" and sent them in as a group. We are making a quilt now to auction off. Our group is a bunch of ladies in the area and we met on this board.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 AM

Our Guild has an annual picnic ... great fun
Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 AM

The guild that I belong to is about 25 yrs old and has many of the same functions that the others have mentioned. Our annual "stash buster" is called the "Ugly Auction". Members can sell anything quilt related (patterns, tools, unwanted fabric, UFOs, blocks not wanted, scrap bags, etc). The member decides if they want all of the proceeds or to share 10% with the guild. We, too, have a 4-day retreat with national and local teachers. We have monthly meeting programs, monthly workshops, and special education programs a couple of times a year with national teachers that are funded by educational grants from the annual QuiltFest show. We make quilts for charity and Quilts of Valor. WE also have an annual birthday covered dish party. We have many out-of-town members because they can attend the annual retreat at a reduced fee. We also earn points toward reduced fees at workshops by monthly attendance, show-and-tell, providing refreshments, being a committee chair, and workshop attendance. We have about 80 members.
(QuiltFest is put on by the 7 guilds in our city.)
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 AM

Our guild does a lot of the same things, but we also have three separate monthly bees at various members homes where anyone can come and chat and work on handwork. Two are regular bees and one is devoted to applique. We also have a bi-ennial quilt show and sponsor trips to large shows like Houston.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
The only local one I ran across don't seem to take to new members lol
I belong to a guild in SW Ohio and they accept new members all the time. We do many things in the guild including a fun retreat! pm me and I'll tell you more.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 AM

ruck9085, you are probably thinking of Jasper, Ga. located in Pickens Cty. It is at the southern edge of the Blue Ridge mountains. The first real city in the mountains.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM

our guild has 2 meetings amonth,one at night and one the next morning,we hold a quilt show once a year in january.In august we have a quilt-a- thon and make quilts for the chosen charity that year.In December we have a holiday tea,this is where everyone brings a dish decided by the last name,and if you wish to participate there have a gift exchange.One month I think its july we have a round robin where there are ususally 5 shops or peopled who give presenatations about a new gadget or way of quilting that they think everyone will enjoy doing,each little session is 20min, them you r group moves to the next presenter in a circular fashion,lots of fun.NOw within the guild itself there are several quilting bees that meet once a month all over town,seperate from the guild meeting.And then we have speakers everymonth that also teach one or two classes.we are a very active guild and always something going on,forgot at the end of everymeeting there is show and tell,where you stand up infront of the hall and show your latest creation and explain it