Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Quilting Board's First Scrap Club (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/quilting-boards-first-scrap-club-t207686.html)

buslady 01-04-2013 09:18 AM

Maybe add a scrappy boarder? strips cut half the width of the blocks and sewn on like a piano keyboard. I'd do a solid boarder a couple of inches wide between, to stop the eye and give it some rest before getting into the next boarder. LOL I love working on this kind of stuff, can you tell. Whatever you do it will be GREAT, good luck!

Foxflower 01-04-2013 11:07 AM

How big is it? How big were the original squares? Are they cotton or blends, etc? What age are the fabrics? It looks like it's crib size right now. What do you want to do with it when it's done?

rwquilts 01-04-2013 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done border similar to what buslady is suggesting and it works great with scrappy quilts! I've included a picture of one of my scrappy quilts to show you about the border. :)

QuilterMomma 01-04-2013 01:14 PM

Wow, lovely scrap quilt. That does not even look like a scrap quilt.

vickig626 01-04-2013 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewred (Post 5761597)
Vicki G I'm sorry to hear about your dh's health I hope he get better quickly! Hugs!

Thank You.

Rhonda 01-04-2013 05:01 PM

Ronda you and I are on the same wavelength. That is my kind of piecing. Looks wonderful!

cjr 01-04-2013 06:10 PM

With as many colors as are in your quilt, I'm with a solid border then any scrappy border or other solid will be fine. When so many colors are used whAT ever you use will look great. Hope your DH gets better. I also have COPD, sometimes the only choice is the hosp[ital. When he is discharged, make sure he gets plenty of rest.

Elisabrat 01-05-2013 12:00 AM

I will wish him well fast and home and recovering in no time. Quilting is a great mind vacation. I can't think of anything other than quilting while I do it or I mess up. It keeps me from getting depressed or sad at life. I am a recent transplant recipient. I am also on dialysis waiting for a kidney transplant too. I sew and it lifts my spirits and keeps my hands and mind so busy there is no time for anything else. its a good thing.

I love that scrappy quilt ronda its a controlled scrappy isnt it? the center squares while mixed are all similar value in color. there are not reallights ones etc say in the main big block. that is a very pretty quilt. oodles of time in that one. did you keep it or gift it?

rwquilts 01-05-2013 06:06 AM

Elisabrat...I used lights and darks (and some mediums) but if you look closely, you will see that it's random...purples, reds, yellows, browns, greens, oranges, and blues...I may not understand true controlled scrappy, but I thought it had to do with color, not value? So, if it has to do with value, then yes, it's controlled scrappy...but if it has to do with colors, then no...it's truly scrappy! :) Maybe someone will look it up and find out what it really is? :)

Rhonda 01-05-2013 10:09 AM

In my opinion a controlled scrappy is about color and value. If you used all random then your lights /med/and darks would not be specifically placed to get a design. Value is evident in that you specified you used meds and darks together which is random but the lights are the contrast which is not random.

I do prefer controlled scrappy over a totally random look. tho when we put together strip borders I like to have both a controlled version and a totally random version. I still tend to control the random to a degree tho in that I don't like two purples side by side and I dont' like to use more than 2 of the same color value close together. I rarely do any scrappy that repeats the same fabric either.