Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending >

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by jacquie
Originally Posted by ssnare
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Originally Posted by pattis47
Please, oh please post some pics of work in progress or your finished row. Love to see what others have done

Originally Posted by Obsessed
I've had my row sketched out for a while, but today I made up my paper piecing template and figured out cutting instructions for myself... It is exciting! I get to start cutting my fabric this weekend!
You really don't want to see my shoe box full of tiny strips I've been cutting for my spiderweb blocks... do you?!? :lol: That's the extent of my WIP right now!

I promise to share as soon as I have something to share. I'm just still wrapped up in Christmas sewing!
What are spiderweb blocks?
uhh ohh, this sounds like a lot of work!!! lol
I know! I keep trying to talk myself into something simpler, but I seem to have my heart set on these silly spiderweb blocks!

Sherry - here is a link to a spiderweb blocks tutorial. http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=6510 I am going to paper piece instead of foundation piece so I have less bulk, but this is the basic idea...
Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Lara,
Those are very cool. I think you should go for it!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 PM

I didn't know they were spiderweb blocks. But I made a fall table runner using the same process. They are actually easier than they look. And go together very fast.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:38 PM

wow, they look great!!
no, you stick with these, they are a sure winner!!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by pdcakm
ssnare, if you have three pieces that measure 20.75" that is already 62.25". not including the two 5.5" blocks you are already over your required 60.5". at least that is my calculation. lol

i find it much easier to do these calculations using the finished block size, then add the seam allowance to each block after my calcs.
I wrote it wrong. I am trying to make a 5 blocks. I have 3 pieces each measures 12 3/4" and 2 pieces each measures 5 1/2". I need to know how much background I need so the row comes out to 60 1/2" long. I am new to this!
My husband cursed and cursed, but he finally figured it out. This is enough to make me want to quit before I even start.

I compared the fabric for the rest of the block while it was all folded and it looks great, however, after I have cut the other pieces to go with the main pieces, I have discovered that the new pieces are thinner than the main pieces. Can I cut the same fabric and put wrong sides together and sew as 1 piece? Or are there other suggestions that I might do?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Sherry,

Don't give up...step away from it for a few hours.
You have until Feb to complete the row...DON'T RUSH.

I think you need to be sure you have 5 blocks that each measure 12 1/2" X 12 1/2".

Then Sew them together and you will have a row that is 12 1/2" X 60 1/2"...

I think your problem is the 5 1/2" blocks, just add fabric to them to make them 12 1/2" square which would be a 4" strip on all 4 sides.

Before you cut any more fabric, I suggest you cut paper squares out that are the same size as your fabric. then glue the 4" strips to the small blocks to get the 12 1/2" block.
After that be sure each block is 12 1/2" square.{ they might need to be trimmed}.....then glue all of the 5 blocks together to see how your row will measure 12 1/2" high and 60 1/2" long { you can use newspaper and the comics to give you different colors to make it easy to see where your "stitching lines" are.

Hope this helps you.

Originally Posted by pdcakm
ssnare, if you have three pieces that measure 20.75" that is already 62.25". not including the two 5.5" blocks you are already over your required 60.5". at least that is my calculation. lol

i find it much easier to do these calculations using the finished block size, then add the seam allowance to each block after my calcs.
I wrote it wrong. I am trying to make a 5 blocks. I have 3 pieces each measures 12 3/4" and 2 pieces each measures 5 1/2". I need to know how much background I need so the row comes out to 60 1/2" long. I am new to this!
My husband cursed and cursed, but he finally figured it out. This is enough to make me want to quit before I even start.

I compared the fabric for the rest of the block while it was all folded and it looks great, however, after I have cut the other pieces to go with the main pieces, I have discovered that the new pieces are thinner than the main pieces. Can I cut the same fabric and put wrong sides together and sew as 1 piece? Or are there other suggestions that I might do?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Belles
Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
Originally Posted by Aully
Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Aully - this is a row robin, meaning we each make one row, in this case 12.5" x 60.5" unfinished. Then the next person adds another row to it, also measuring 12.5" x 60.5". After that round our "top" will measure 25" x 60.5" By the end we'll have a whole quilt top to quilt! :) It'll be really fun!
So kinda of like a block then? do we attach it to the center? where do we place them all on the main part?
Thanks for helping me to understand! :)
Hi Aully, There isn't a center. Think of it as rows. You'll make five 12.5" blocks and sew them together side by side then attach your row to the row or rows you receive. I'll see if I can find a picture so you'll have something to look at. I know that always helps me.
I am a participant in the 2010 Row Robin Quilt Project and I posted a photo of the Row Robin I made with my two sisters as a sample for the others in the group. You can find it at http://www.quiltingboard.com/T-44827-2.htm. It's in the middle of the page...or see below. I made the first and fourth rows. We had no rules, only to create something we loved and we had so much fun. I'm also having a blast with the 2010 Row Robin and always look forward to seeing "my" quilt as each row is attached. I hope you will find the photo helpful Belles
Thanks very much for putting the photo up as the message about going under the message board and pressing m did not work for me. I am new to this WHOLE programme and must say i do get lost and still finding my way around. YOU DO FANTASTIC applique work, your top row of flowers are absolutely stunning. Now i can visualise what they are after. Appreciate the help here.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by kreinhart742
I also have a question, does it need to be five separate blocks or can it be the width and length with a scene on it such as winter etc.

I was thinking to handpaint my original row then add applique or >>>>. Just thinking outloud.
NOW THAT IS SOMETHING i WOULD LOVE TO SEE ..... :shock:
hand painted and then applique work. Have you got some to show us?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by cbridges22
I have decided!Purple sampler!
Now that is up my alley........ I love purple. My quilt in my bedroom are purples Jacobs Ladder and i made my daughter a purple 21st crop circle theme quilt.......LOTS OF PURPLE fabric in my house............lol
Still thinking about joining though
Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 PM

whenever I plan a block, or am not sure if things are going together correctly, I grab some graph paper... the math is so basic and it does take the frustration down and out!! You have to remember to take your seam allowances into account. If your 3 large blocks are 12 3/4" - is that "unfinished?" This is important because if it is, you need another 1/2" background/sashing than if it will be 12 3/4" after you sew it to the sashing. so... STEP 1: measure everything you have as it would be "finished" say 12 1/4". STEP 2: tape 2-3 pieces of graph paper together and have each square equal an inch - mark off the desired width of your row... STEP 3: cut "model squares" your large squares will be 12 squares and a fourth of the 13th square. If you want, cut three of these out - and also cut two graph paper squares the model "size" of your smaller blocks. now place then on your blank graph paper "row". You will be able to tell if the 5 squares you have will work out simply with sashing or if you need something more. Don't feel you have to make 5 squares the same size... different sizes add interest. [I hope I havent confused you :roll: ]