Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Row Round Robin Christmas Theme for 2009! Groups Assigned see page 8

Hi there!

Per our conversation in Ideas for Round Robins 2009 http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/13131.page This is for a Christmas Row Robin I found some photos of row quilts, you can see photos them here. -----> http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...63315856srtPZQ

Sign up deadline is December 24, 2008 by then I will need your address and the theme and or tone you'd like for your quilt - no need to decide now, just let me know by then. Also the final size you'd like the top to be would be helpful. In return I will provide you a list of the people in your group, color requests, themes, ect, by the 26th of December. Giving you plenty of time get the door busters post Christmas.

Guidelines
    ~International is an option, if you don't want to be International please let me know so I can plan accordingly.

~One Row per month. The length and width of your row will be determined by how big the owner would like her quilt to be. I will be keeping the smaller quilt requests in a different group from the larger ones.

~Six People per group, your first row should be done and in the mail by Jan. 31st, our goal would be to have all rows done and on their way back to their owners by the end of July.

~Because it's rows, You may find that you can work ahead a bit on this one if you need to. But keep the overall theme of the quilt in mind.

Don't forget: Each quilt will travel with a label. :)

This is it! These are the Groups! :) I'll be sharing addresses as needed after Christmas. For your reference the person under your name is the person you will be mailing to. If you are listed as the last person in your group you will be mailing to the person at the top of the group. :)

Our Head Cheerleader: able to make entire quilts out of small bits of fabric Sandpat!

Our large quilt group:

Margie Theme - General Christmas Row Size 72"x12” If creating blocks 5 - 12" blocks

2 doods Theme - Christmas with Santa - Scrapy Christmas fabrics...Reds and white and all Christmas colors as accents. Blues, greens, gold, plaids okay Row Size 72”x12” If creating blocks 6 - 12" blocks

purplemem Theme - Traditional Elegant Christmas Row Size 72”X12” If creating blocks 6 - 12" blocks

Elizabeth A. Theme - Christmas Hope Row Size 72”X12” If creating blocks 6 - 12" blocks

mrsj82 Theme – Winter Quilt - Some Forest Green please 84”X12” If creating blocks 7 - 14" blocks

LoriJ Theme – Winter Wonderland 84”X12” If creating blocks 7 - 14" blocks

The Mini-Minis Quilt Group:

Barbsbus Theme – Snowman whimsy and pretty Row Size 30”Xquilters choice” Make your Row however wide you would like just as long as it is 30” long.

MsSage Theme – Winter Cats and Dogs – please no christmas Row Size 30”Xquilters choice” Make your Row however wide you would like just as long as it is 30” long.

sewjoyce Theme – Christmas Cats Row Size 40”X8” If creating blocks 5 - 8" blocks

scraplover09 Theme – Snowflakes and snowmen blue and white Row Size 45”X12”

collettakay Theme – Decorating the Tree Row Size 45”X12”

Last but never Least Our Middle of the Road Minis!

mgrhs Theme – Snowmen Row Size 48”X12” If creating blocks 4 – 12” blocks

janw Theme – Christmas trees, oranments, etc.red, green, yellow, and blue Row Size 48”X12” If creating blocks 4 – 12” blocks

Ruth Camp Theme – Christmas -Each Row a different color prints and solids okay Row Size 48”X12” If creating blocks 4 – 12” blocks

zyxquilts Theme – Christmas Fun (prints) Santas & snowmen & penguins Row Size 54”X45” If creating blocks 6 – 9” blocks

babeegirl Theme – Visions of Sugar Plums Row Size 48"X12" If creating blocks 4 -12" blocks

Are the groups being made by size? If one person only wants a wall hanging, will s/he be with other smalls, or end up making bigger ones? My workspace is severely limited.

Are these just holiday themes, or can they be something like snowflakes that can be used longer?

Snowflakes would be great moonpi, I think it's safe to say we could expand it a bit to be Holiday, instead of Exactly Christmas.

As for a goup of "littles" I'd be more than happy to have a slot for those. :) A wallhanging would be okay to have a member less or two. :)

I would love to join, but I have no use for wintery things, but please keep me in mind for a future round robin. They sound like fun!

Blog Entries
    This sounds like fun Elizabeth but for the 1st few months of the year, I have my plate totally overloaded...but I'd love to do one of these later in the year! In the meantime, I'll be drooling all over the pics of yours!

I dont feel I am good enough to work on someone elses quilt.... :shock:
    But I do have a question so i understand how this works
    Your in a group of 6 and you do 1 row a month for 6 months? Then in the end everyone has a quilt made from the other members?

Cool idea let me get a bit more sewing under my belt and I would love to join.

That's exactly right. This Robin is open to all levels of quilters.
    You have over a month to practice, so if you change your mind drop me a note. Nothing beats learning like doing. :) And of course is the small quilt option, if you don't want to work on something very big.

I feel that a row robin is easier, because you don't have to match up all the way around the quilt, just match the predetermined length and width, and then your strip sews to the quilt.

Robin's can have any number of members, but I'd really like to shoot for 6 in 6 months so that we will have time to quilt our gems in time for next Christmas.

I went digging through Quilters Cache and I found some references for us. For Borders http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/l...83.page#219683
    and for Christmas - Winter Blocks http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/13182.page

I am new here (fairly new to quilting too)and am embarressed to say, I dont know what a Row Robin is or how it works. Margie

Banned
    Margie, you create the first row then send it to the next person in your group. They create another row and send it on to the next person and so on. When you get it back, it's done except for anything else like borders you want to add to it yourself. In the meantime, you'll be working on the other group members quilts that are being sent to you.

You do one block X number of times to make the row or you make X number of different blocks to make a row? Sorry. I feel really dumb. lol I just never heard of this before

Margie

Blog Entries
    That would be your decision...either way will work. :lol:

This row robin is open to all skill levels so I'm going to try to explain it with these photos.

This one is completed, two borders habe been added to the outside by the creator and then it was quilted. See how each row is different? Each row will reflect the skills and abilities of the members of your group.

This next one is a star row robin. If you it was your turn for the next row and you didn't want to make star blocks, you could do a row of nine patch blocks (nine squares of fabric sewn together to make a square) using star fabrics, or you could make just one star and put in in the middle and neutral fabrics on the sides for a nice "focal point".

The last one here was a fairy theme. The first row is applique and the second is peiced blocks. What next? Perhaps a rosebud blocks, or a fabric with fairies, flowers, or even dragons on it, or maybe a Castle? Or maybe a nice ribbon border?

Those of us who can will be posting photos of our rows along the way, and if you get stuck and don't know what to do next there will be plenty of help to get you through.

A huge thanks to http://www.keddykat75.blogspot.com and http://www.thepatchworkpearl.com for helping me explain.

i was looking at some pictures of these and they were sending out a row each month to a different person...and the reciepent sewed them together

is that something different

I'll wait for a different one...christmas use is kind of limited or maybe a small

yep i"m in for a small

SIGH, ok I am game...but please be kind. I am sure not anything like the beautiful things I see posted here. I will try my best...hope I dont ruin anyone's quilt :(

Margie

Blog Entries
    Elizabeth,
    You need to add ME!

:D :D :D

Okay, I've given it lots of thought and here's what I've come up with. When you complete your row you will sew it to the row before it. The owner sends you her row, you create your row and then sew it together.

Optional: If anyone would like sashing between their rows, include that in your package with the row you created for the top of your quilt. All sashing should be pre cut to the size it needs to be. For instance if your quilt is to be 60" wide and you want your quilt to have a 4" sashing include one piece of sashing for each member of your group make sure it is cut that 60" long (plus seam allowance of course). If you desire sashing please let me know as that will take a bit more math for your over all size.

Come the end of July what you will have in your mail box will be a soft cuddly package with one sewn quilt top. :)

If you wanted your quilt to have a "checkerboard: effect, could you include the precut plain/patterned squares for in between the squares the next person would do? For instance, if you had a flowered/striped/checked or whatever theme fabric, could you include say three plain squares for that row and the next person would do four squares then four plain for the next row and the person would do three squares for that row...hope this is clear lol I am not sure what you mean by adding sashing for the person...that may be beyond me.

Margie

Below I created a image, not great I know (all the rows should the same size :roll: ), but I was working quickly. Each color is a row. One row will be completed by each member of the group. Everything in their row is for them to decide. As always each person will do their best work on your quilt, just like you will do on theirs. Since we don't know who will be using what techniques in your quilt it isn't fair for me to say what can and can't be in those rows.

This Robin is open to all techinques applique, piecing, crazy quilting, redwork, embroidery, etc. Whatever that group member thinks will look the best on your quilt using the theme you picked and the colors you used in the border you created will be what they do. Since I have no way to know who will be creating blocks and who will be using the entire row to create a scene, etc. I wont say what can and can't be in that row. So I'm sorry but no checkerboard patterns.

If I may draw your attention to the BLACK lines you see between the rows. That would be considered sashing. It will break up your quilt into more clearly defined rows, and adding it or not will be up to each member.

Each color is the row created by a different group member.
    Name:  Attachment-22742.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  10.7 KB

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    this sounds intriqueing, but since I am already doing the international round robin and will head up the chicken quilt challenge starting in February (plus my DH's quilt which he is getting very impatient for me to do), I really don't have time!!!! Bummer - but can't wait to see the pictures! :-) :-)

Blog Entries
    Elizabeth, I keep coming back to this thread...I want to do it, but I have the same commitments as mama said above AND..the blue/white star block swap, the challenge block swap and 2 IRR groups going...so..please MAKE me sit this one out... :roll:

mamatobugboo, Chicken quilt??!! What chicken quilt?! I haven't heard about the chicken quilt challenge! What's a quilt challenge? When is it? What is it? I LOVE chickens!

Blog Entries
    Ah Patti!

You KNOW you have time for this one too...it's just a little row or two and stops in July!
    :D

:twisted: I'm sorry you're having so much trouble staying away. :lol: I promise everyone who can will be posting photos of their rows, I'm certain that will drive you away. Or is that pull you in? :) Either way. It will be fun for the watchers and the quilters. :)

There is a small quilts group... jk

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    This sounds like fun Elizabeth but for the 1st few months of the year, I have my plate totally overloaded...but I'd love to do one of these later in the year! In the meantime, I'll be drooling all over the pics of yours!
    I echo on that one. This bad timing for me, but would be interested on the next one later in the year. And by that time I can find out what exactly is a round robin. I understand the part about each person adding one round. As for the rest, it's foggy. Hope you all have a ball working on these and can't wait to see the end products. :lol:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast