Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending >

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
There's a whole line of fabrics that are concidered Civil War prints. You can find pictures of some on quilt shop sites if you put in Civil War fabrics. And some quilt shops carry them. I'm sure the people working there could help you find them if you get one in your group.
That would be lovely, but where i live in RSA, we do not have materials and I ORDER MINE VIA web and it takes around 3 - 6 weeks to arrive. This is now making me decide that i should not join this group... Oh dear....Still thinking!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by craft phanatic
The more I read this thread the more excited I get. I'm very nervous to work on someone else's quilt but I am very excited to see how mine will turn out. I think I will just go with a color scheme instead of a design theme. I just bought this fabric from fabric.com that turned out to to be even prettier than it looked on the computer. So my color scheme is going to be blue with contrasting colors of anything in the cream/beige/tan family. As far as design or method is concerned....anything goes. This is gonna be so much fun for me!
Hi my friend - am deciding to sit this one out. Probably will regret it later, but can share in your joys and progress and give you advise, you know where i am :lol: I am looking into wanting to make a blue only quilt myself....Oh so refreshing. Yours is going to be stunning.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 AM

Cre8tvlwyr,

i'm sorry to say, i haven't a clue what you've been talking about!
be careful you don't frighten people off lol...
hugs jacquie xxx
Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr
whenever I plan a block, or am not sure if things are going together correctly, I grab some graph paper... the math is so basic and it does take the frustration down and out!! You have to remember to take your seam allowances into account. If your 3 large blocks are 12 3/4" - is that "unfinished?" This is important because if it is, you need another 1/2" background/sashing than if it will be 12 3/4" after you sew it to the sashing. so... STEP 1: measure everything you have as it would be "finished" say 12 1/4". STEP 2: tape 2-3 pieces of graph paper together and have each square equal an inch - mark off the desired width of your row... STEP 3: cut "model squares" your large squares will be 12 squares and a fourth of the 13th square. If you want, cut three of these out - and also cut two graph paper squares the model "size" of your smaller blocks. now place then on your blank graph paper "row". You will be able to tell if the 5 squares you have will work out simply with sashing or if you need something more. Don't feel you have to make 5 squares the same size... different sizes add interest. [I hope I havent confused you :roll: ]
i'm sorry to say, i haven't a clue what you've been talking about!
be careful you don't frighten people off lol...
hugs jacquie xxx
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 AM
jme

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Originally Posted by jacquie
Originally Posted by ssnare
Originally Posted by pattis47
Please, oh please post some pics of work in progress or your finished row. Love to see what others have done

I've had my row sketched out for a while, but today I made up my paper piecing template and figured out cutting instructions for myself... It is exciting! I get to start cutting my fabric this weekend!
You really don't want to see my shoe box full of tiny strips I've been cutting for my spiderweb blocks... do you?!? :lol: That's the extent of my WIP right now!

I promise to share as soon as I have something to share. I'm just still wrapped up in Christmas sewing!
What are spiderweb blocks?
uhh ohh, this sounds like a lot of work!!! lol
I know! I keep trying to talk myself into something simpler, but I seem to have my heart set on these silly spiderweb blocks!

Sherry - here is a link to a spiderweb blocks tutorial. http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=6510 I am going to paper piece instead of foundation piece so I have less bulk, but this is the basic idea...
Those are really cool looking. I've never seen anything like that before but now I want to do one. Thanks for the link!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM

I think I finally narrowed down my choices for these blocks. So many animalsnative to here. Here's the final contendors. Not sure if I'll use the frill neck lizard, or do a kookaburra instead. Now all I have to do is blanket stitch them all down. Luckily I've almost finished the frilly.

koala
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142917[/ATTACH]

emu's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142918[/ATTACH]

platypus
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142919[/ATTACH]

kangaroo and joey
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142920[/ATTACH]

frillneck lizard
[ATTACH=CONFIG]142921[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142912.jpe   attachment-142913.jpe   attachment-142914.jpe   attachment-142915.jpe   attachment-142916.jpe  

Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
I think I finally narrowed down my choices for these blocks. So many animalsnative to here. Here's the final contendors. Not sure if I'll use the frill neck lizard, or do a kookaburra instead. Now all I have to do is blanket stitch them all down. Luckily I've almost finished the frilly.
They will all make a cute quilt. What are others suppose to add to your quilt?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Animals native to their part of the world. Can be anything they want, applique, plain blocks, pieced, whatever.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
What a GREAT idea .... "Love" the Australian animals and have a couple of Quilting Books by Margaret Rolfe, who has all kinds of patterns for birds and animals. Visited your area and just loved "every minute" we were there. Wish you were going to be in my group .... the mind is already working on your ideas.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 PM

Love the native animals! Beautiful blocks and I like the frill necked lizard-hey maybe we can start the next ready to go group? ;-)
Hugs
April