Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending >

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 AM

I was so upset when I took my row out of the washer last night! it has raveled so much that the seams came out!! I had not pre washed the fabric and was getting it ready to mail off and I wanted it fresh and clean when I sent it. I want to cry. I don't know what to do!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-167146.jpe   attachment-167147.jpe   attachment-167148.jpe   attachment-167149.jpe  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 AM

Just go back over the seams maybe with a little over a 1/4 inch seam to catch all the raveled ends? Do you have access to a serger?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM

no serger. If i resew won't that mess up the size and other blocks?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 AM

O I just hate that this happened, don't loose heart, your blocks and row is beautiful, everything is fixable or re-do-able. If your row is a lttle short after resewing then add a little of the green at each end to make the length, you could even do it top and bottom if you needed to.
Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
I was so upset when I took my row out of the washer last night! it has raveled so much that the seams came out!! I had not pre washed the fabric and was getting it ready to mail off and I wanted it fresh and clean when I sent it. I want to cry. I don't know what to do!!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM

I tried resewing and it is a complete mess!! Can not use it so back to the drawing board I guess!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM

You have lots of time. DO NOT WASH blocks before quilting in the washing machine. Wash fabrics but not the pieced blocks. You can lay them in the sink and do them gently by hand, but that is still not advisable. They may go way out of shape or shrink.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM

gosh, that is heart breaking! so sorry about your row!
washing your fabric before hand is def' the way to go.
if you have to wash your blocks after you've made them, i would use a 'lingerie' net bag on a quick setting, so they don't get agitated too much, or as booper said, a gentle wash by hand in the hand basin is even better... IF AT ALL!
try not to get too disheartened, good thing it wasn't too close to the postal date!
hugs, jacquie xxx
Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 PM

I tried resewing and it is a complete mess!! Can not use it so back to the drawing board I guess!!!!
Maybe check your 1/4". Could be that it is too scant and maybe that's why the seams came out so easily. Either that or the washing machine was really hard on them.
As I understand it, we are only supposed to wash BEFORE we sew, never after, until it is in the project, quilted and bound.
Am I right about that? I guess we all can learn an lesson from your tragedy. :?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 PM

I did not know you could not wash after blocks were done. Lesson learned the hard way but will never be forgotten! Yes thank goodness is not close to mailing date. In instructions for signup for row robin I thought it said that you should have good quality fabric as it will go through alot of hands and repeated washings. I will look again.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM

I did not know you could not wash after blocks were done. Lesson learned the hard way but will never be forgotten! Yes thank goodness is not close to mailing date. In instructions for signup for row robin I thought it said that you should have good quality fabric as it will go through alot of hands and repeated washings. I will look again.
I really feel for you. Such a hard way to learn and not fun to be our example of what not to do. I think we are all caring for you right now and wishing that we could more than talk. :-(