Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 19 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 69 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 744

Thread: Winter, Winter/Holidays, Holidays Block Swap!! Sign ups til Oct. 29

  1. #181
    Senior Member kensington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    391
    rwquilts, you went above and beyond. All of your blocks are just great. Anyone who gets them will be happy!
    "Wimpy Christian's won't survive spiritual warfare"- Carman

  2. #182
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Posts
    6,428
    Blog Entries
    44
    I agree, Ronda, your blocks are the cutest! And you have inspired all of us.

    OK! I am not sure I have 'officially' committed to this swap, so I want to do so. I am not sure how many sets but for SURE I am know I am making gingerbread and snowmen of some style. I will PM you RW.

    Sew here is a silly question, maybe. I am new to raw edge applique. I notice RW that you sew yours a little away from the edge of your applique. Since I have never made a quilt with raw edge applique, my question is: is the idea that when it is washed it frays the edges a little? Hope that is not too dumb

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

  3. #183
    Super Member urgodschild2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    1,511
    Ok I have been looking at this and have the material to make Hot Chocolate, penguins, angels, pointsettias, cats frolicking in the snow, and ??????? can't remember. But i will see what I can make and then I will sign up.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

  4. #184
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Posts
    6,428
    Blog Entries
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
    Ok I have been looking at this and have the material to make Hot Chocolate, penguins, angels, pointsettias, cats frolicking in the snow, and ??????? can't remember. But i will see what I can make and then I will sign up.
    Yummm... I just saw a hot cup of chocolate on some sight with sugar cookies above it with those sprinkles on it... quilted. Sew cute.

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

  5. #185
    Super Member rwquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the west that I love!
    Posts
    3,278
    Blog Entries
    4
    Urgodschild2, those sound like fun blocks!

    Welcome SewExtremeSeams! Glad to have you join us! I really don't know a great answer to your question...I think if you're really wanting the raggy look, that you might want to clip and leave more of a seam allowance on the outside?

  6. #186
    Senior Member kensington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    I agree, Ronda, your blocks are the cutest! And you have inspired all of us.

    OK! I am not sure I have 'officially' committed to this swap, so I want to do so. I am not sure how many sets but for SURE I am know I am making gingerbread and snowmen of some style. I will PM you RW.

    Sew here is a silly question, maybe. I am new to raw edge applique. I notice RW that you sew yours a little away from the edge of your applique. Since I have never made a quilt with raw edge applique, my question is: is the idea that when it is washed it frays the edges a little? Hope that is not too dumb
    I think so, it will fray a tiny bit after washings. But, should not come unraveled. HTH.
    "Wimpy Christian's won't survive spiritual warfare"- Carman

  7. #187
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Posts
    6,428
    Blog Entries
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
    Urgodschild2, those sound like fun blocks!

    Welcome SewExtremeSeams! Glad to have you join us! I really don't know a great answer to your question...I think if you're really wanting the raggy look, that you might want to clip and leave more of a seam allowance on the outside?
    Thanks Ronda! The problem is I am a perfectionist (only in my sewing~~meaning I am not satisfied and will rip and rip to get there...) so my whole being is pulling towards wanting the edges to be smooth and finished.
    Have to laugh at myself because I know I am defeating the purpose and quickness of raw edge applique.

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

  8. #188
    Super Member rwquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the west that I love!
    Posts
    3,278
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Thanks Ronda! The problem is I am a perfectionist (only in my sewing~~meaning I am not satisfied and will rip and rip to get there...) so my whole being is pulling towards wanting the edges to be smooth and finished.
    Have to laugh at myself because I know I am defeating the purpose and quickness of raw edge applique.
    You do whatever floats your boat! I have done all types of applique, from raw edge, to satin stitch, blanket stitch by hand and machine, to painstaking hand applique.


  9. #189
    Super Member owlvamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,784
    Blog Entries
    2
    Beautiful blocks everyone.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

  10. #190
    Senior Member craft phanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    south central,pa
    Posts
    581
    Oh my goodness, you girls have been busy. I haven't been on for a few days and I sure did miss a lot! The ideas seem to be flowing and they are all great! I love the hot choco idea. Can't wait to see those blocks. I'm almost done with another set and will post a pic soon. Ronda, I'm so glad you do these swaps! Makes me feel like I am part of a sewing group. None of my friends like to sew so I am a lone stitcher! Thanks for being such a great group.

Page 19 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 69 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.