Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrappy Winter/Holiday & Neutral 9 Patch Block Swap Sign-ups end May 1st.

Scrappy Winter/Holiday & Neutral 9 Patch Block Swap Sign-ups end May 1st.

Now's the time to start a winter project!

Join us for a very fun way to use up your scraps!

Please read this entire post!

The scrappy 9 patch blocks will be made using 5 winter/holiday 2.5"squares and 4 2.5" neutrals .
    Neutrals will be shades of cream, very light beige. NO whites.

Sign ups require a commitment to communicate. You will be required to check in with your thread at least once a week, so we know you are still involved. Post your pics of blocks or anything else you are working on, reply to otherís pictures and comments, or chat a bit. The nice community in this group is dependent on all of you posting and sharing.

Also, if I need to pm or email you, I expect you to respond in a timely manner, (not longer than 48 hours). Failure to do so may result in your being banned from future 9P swaps.

Sign ups are open until May 1st . Blocks must be here in my hands no later than May 25th. I will be going back to NC the first week in June so the bags Must be in my hands by then for swapping.

The scrappy 9 patch blocks will be made using 5 winter/holiday fabric squares and 4 neutrals .
    Neutrals will be shades of cream, very light beige. NO whites.

We are swapping sets of 10 blocks per bag, up to 10 bags. Each bag must contain 10 completely different blocks (no fabric repeats in a bag.) This shouldn't be a problem if you are using scraps. Each bag can contain the same set of fabrics, just no duplicates in any one set of ten.. I need the bags ready to swap bag-for bag.

You will need quart size bags (not sandwich) to accommodate the size of the blocks. Please put your board name on each bag. Before mailing, put all your bags into a big gallon bag with your name and address clearly on the bag, along with your board name. Then ship in either a tyvek or padded flat rate envelope. No paper envelopes, as they donít hold up. Be sure to include your return postage! The fees for the padded flat rate envelopes I will use for return U.S. shipping is $8. Do not send me stamps or stamped envelopes!

Please use good fabric in your blocksÖ like you would hope to receive. 100% cotton, only. No thin fabrics. If you have to starch it to make it acceptable, donít use it for this swap. Prewashed or not really doesnít matter in pieces
    hing else you are working on, reply to otherís pictures and comments, or chat a bit. The nice community in this group is dependent on all of you posting and sharing

We are swapping sets of 10 blocks per bag, up to 10 bags. Each bag must contain 10 completely different blocks (no fabric repeats in a bag.) This shouldn't be a problem if you are using scraps. Each bag can contain the same set of fabrics, just no duplicates in any one set of ten.. I need the bags ready to swap bag-for bag by the deadline of May 25th.

Your finished blocks Must measure 6.5Ē. letís strive to get 6.5" blocks. If they come out smaller, it is your responsibility to adjust seams or remake them, to get them to 6.5". The center square in each row should be 2" square. Please try to keep your seams minimum to a scant 1/4". seams less than that won't hold up very well.

Each block needs to be trimmed of excess thread and pressed. No Wonky blocks please.

As always, regular Quilting Board swap rules apply: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...-a-t20154.html

Sign up by pmíing me your real name and address, and your email address. I will include my address when I confirm your PM to me.

Let's get started!!!

Yeah, I messed up again. Extra papagraphs.

I will sign up for this swap. Thanks for letting us know and for being our leader.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Thank you for letting me know. I am in again!

Honchey as far as the creams and beiges, I don't have enough to make each block different. If I go with 4 different beige/cream in a block, I will have blocks that have the same neutral but different scrappy blocks or can I us 1 beige color with 5 scrappy blocks to make my sets. I hope you are understanding what I am trying to say.

I've interested - should each 9 patch be made from two fabrics - holiday and neutral, and each 9 patch being different Holiday fabric (neutrals could be the same).

or are the 9 patch blocks suppose to be "scrappy" and made up from five different holiday fabrics and four different neutral fabrics.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Ok Ladies, Maybe we need some clarification.No Thanksgiving, no Halloween.. five Scrappy Holiday/Winter 2.5" squares, four neutrals which should be different or more than one of each neutral I personally would use 2 of each neutral opposite each other in the block. Maybe we should post a photo of the layout of the block without sewing it together just to see the final look of it. The neutrals can be repeated in the 10 blocks per baggie. It would be too much to expect 40 different fabrics for neutrals in one baggie.

I worked all day at the Gallery and I cut a bunch of strips. Now I have to sub cut into the squares. There's a new addition..An iron press which I used to press my fabric before cutting.. I loved it.so quick and no shoulder or wrist aching. I'm wondering if I can use spray starch with it. Hmmmmm.

Welcome to Happylab, Trish b, Queenbarbiej and maybe Macybaby? Not too bad for 2 days
    Last edited by Honchey; 04-18-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Just a little reminder:

Center square measures 2'

finished block is pressed, trimmed to 6.5" and threads clipped.

first block made for this swap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I understand now. Pictures helps! Thank you Honchey. I already started on mine the same as yours. I have ten blocks done!

I'm still not clear if we can reuse the holiday fabric in the set of 10 blocks, or if we need 50 different holiday fabrics to complete a set of 10. I'd have better luck coming up with 40 different neutrals for a set of 10 blocks.

If we need 50 different holiday fabrics - I may not have enough, and I really don't want to buy any more.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Hi Macybaby,

Maybe we should put it to a vote to see if a 2.5"square can be repeated in a set of 10 in one baggie.. I don't have a problem with it.. I just wouldn't want 10 blocks with the same patterns. We could set a limit of how many repeats there would be. no same positions . Opinons please????

I dug deep - and I can come up with over 50 different fabrics that will work. I have a tub full of "asian" that are metallic, and several of them are green/red/gold so they will look fine with winter holiday fabric.

I vote to do what is needed to get enough people to be able to swap. With flat rate postage, I like to have a full packet to send and receive.

Macybaby has joined the swap!!

I would also like more to join in the swap. I can also return packages first class if we end up with less baggies. I find the expense of postage is a little out of line.

We now have: 4 Swappers!

Honchey
    Trish b
    Queenbarbiej
    Macybaby
    Last edited by Honchey; 04-19-2019 at 09:56 AM.

I'll sign up for this swap too.

Welcome Sewnclog, Happylab!

I'll add you to our list. Maybe we'll have a bunch of swappers by May 1st.

1.Honchey
    2.Trish b
    3.Queenbarbiej
    4.Macybaby
    5.Sewnclog
    6.Happylab
    Last edited by Honchey; 04-19-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Honchey, I vote for all 5 in one square be the same print fabric. It is difficult to have 50 different winter fabrics. I probably have close to that many but I have been sewing for over 40 years.

Welcome to all of you lovely people.

When I saw this swap, I expected it to be like trish says - so a person would only need 10 different fabrics.

However I've already got my print squares cut and sorted so I have 10 bags of 50 unique fabrics, plus what I cut for myself. I know I have 10 of most fabrics so could resort if we did 9 patch with only one print per block.

Since I've already figured out what I want to do with the blocks, I'd prefer sticking with scrappy but allowing limited duplication.

I won't start sewing until I know for sure if there is going to be a change or not. I've still got about 800 neutral squares to cut (I need a lot for my sashing plans). That works out to 50 WOF.

I'll cut them and lay them in stacks of 5, then put four rows in line, then put my stripology ruler on top and cut away.

This is a Scrappy 9 patch with 5 different holiday/winter squares and 4 neutrals. The neutrals can be the same or mixed up.

I did say that if you couldn't get enough of the 5 scrappies you could make a duplicate block but not All the same in one baggie.

This has created too much confusion so we have to go with the original theme of 5 Different scrappies and 4 neutrals.

Macybaby, 50 Wof?? I thought it was 15 or 16 wof.

Sorry Trish, It's Scrappy 5's not the same 5's.

Let's get sewing and showing some pics.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-20-2019 at 05:52 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I plan to start cutting working on my blocks tomorrow. I think I have a pattern figured out as well off of Pinterest. That pattern only needs about 150 - 9-patch blocks for king size bed. I know I need to make at least 50 blocks myself. LOL ��. Happy cutting and sewing everyone.

Thank you Honchey for hosting again. I am going to go look thru my stash and see what Christmas fabrics I can round up then I will let you know if I can join the group. I love how it is going to be scrappy. I am going to be getting grandchildren visiting at the end of May so thought maybe I wouldn't have time to sew between now and then but I would like to try. Will let you know soon.

Over half the neutrals I'm cutting are for the sashing I have planned. Figuring 40" usable fabric, that works out to 16 squares per wof, and you need 400 for 10 sets of 10, that works out to 25 wof strips. With some newer fabric, you may only get 15 squares per wof.

I pulled 17 fabrics, so cut 3 lengths of each one, plus I had enough scraps from three other fabrics so each of my block sets will have 2 of each of the neutrals.

My plan is to make sashing to turn the blocks into 4x4 so I can sew them together and have a checkerboard look.

Start Now Jordan!

The more the merrier!!
    Last edited by Honchey; 04-20-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Ok Honchey. I went digging yesterday and found plenty of holiday/winter fabrics I can use. I will be cutting out squares like mad today and hopefully will be sewing blocks together this week. I will join in. Just love exchanges like this. Just to clear things up---we can use the same neutrals in one block if we wish? Sorry I am so dense sometimes. LOL

Oh so Happy your joining our swap Jordan!!!!

Yes, you can use the same neutrals in a block.

Updated List.

1.Honchey
    2.Trish b
    3.Queenbarbiej
    4.Macybaby
    5.Sewnclog
    6.Happylab
    7.Jordan

Ladies I am almost done with the quilt from the last scrappy nine patch swap. I have to finish quilting it and add binding. I made it a lap size single Irish chain quilt. It measures 55x75.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast