Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: best lighting

I have fluoresescent lighting in my sewing room, however, when my daughter-in-law and son-in-law came to visit, being an electrician, he changed my bulbs from regular lights to "Brights". WOW!!! What a difference!

Joann's carries them. Wait for a 40% - 50% coupon.

I had a sunlight installed in my sewing room over my machine area and it is wonderful. In the other end of my room I have a long florescent light. It is very bright. Some day I will post pictures, but at the moment it is a mess.

Daylight bulbs are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by krjkrj View Post
    Can anyone make suggestions for the best lighting in a sewing room. I need to buy task lighting for the cutting area and the sewing machine area. I know about Ott lighting but wondered if their were another less expensive brand that works just as well. thanks krjkrj
    There was a thread just the other day on this subject. I have bought two lights from Big Lots ..one is a desk model and one a floor model..both just as good as Ott lights and last a long time too. I do have an Ott light with a magnifying glass attachment and really like it too...
    Big Lots floor lamp was $29.00 and the desk lamp was $23.00... great prices!!!!

Thanks for this thread topic. I have been wondering this myself. Great advice
    Everything in life happens for a reason.

Thanks for the info - I need to get new lights for my sewing room also - now I know what to look for!!

The lights in my sewing room are full spectrum florescent from Orchard Supply Hardware. They're about 14" long and portable or hooked on the ceiling. I also use one for the light in a light box. The only OTT lights that are bright enough are 24 watt. Another full sqectrum is from Daylight Company.

It's daylight bulbs for me too! They're great in a floor lamp for hand quilting at night while watching TV.

My sewing room is the bonus room upstairs. It has a ceiling fan with a light kit and that's it. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with the energy saving and MUCH COOLER fluorescent bulbs. I also use a $15 floor lamp with the attached bendable task lamp with regular incandescent bulbs for my machine table work. Both provide great lighting. And I have the choice of light 'tones' when I'm interviewing fabric. For all my handwork projects in front of the TV at night, I love my Ott lamp.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast