Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
cabinets or open shelves? >

cabinets or open shelves?

cabinets or open shelves?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Default cabinets or open shelves?

Yea! I get to re-model my sewing room! So many decisions to make! Has anyone here had any experience with IKEA cabinets or Go.Organize.com ? Specifically - #1 Are the shelves strong enough to hold the weight of my stash? #2 I would love glass doors on the cabs so I can see all my goodies but worry about overhead lighting causing fading. Advice please.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I have my fabric in a wood cupboard with doors so I don't have yo worry about fading. If you still want glasss front cabinets, you can always cover the inside of the windows with paper if you find that your fabric fades.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:44 PM

We got bookshelves at Ikea I can't remember the brand but they were $25 each. Got those instead of the Billy ones as they are only 9" deep. Most bookcases are 12" - 15" deep and we put them in our hall (thank goodness for wide hallways) and that was just too deep. Have fabric srapped on comic boards and it is just perfect, since they are down hallways don't have to really worry about fading.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]440452[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bookcases.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Forgot to mention that they are a nice blonde wood color and if going against a wall they have a cut out at the bottom for quarter round molding
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM

I have my fabric on open shelves--I just like looking at it LOL. The shelves are on a wall that doesn't face any windows. I haven't noticed any fading from the overhead light (non-florescent).
Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM

I am in the process of setting up my new sewing studio. I will be using Ikea cabinets with doors. Originally I was going to have glass doors so I could look at the fabrics but have decided on wood doors to keep the fading away. I think doors will help keep the dust bunnies away too. As well, the full doors will hide some untidy things.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 PM

quiltstringz - I like this! you are so organized.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 PM

quilter1 - I forgot about the dust bunnies and tumble catweeds! I am leaning your way with Ikea cabs. Maybe I'll go with a few glass door uppers. I am so excited to get my fabric out of 18 large totes, it'll be like Christmas! Thanks everyone for your in-put!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:07 AM

As much as I love looking at fabric, especially when it's sorted neatly by color, I prefer most of my fabrics behind solid doors. When everything is visible, it becomes too overwhelming for me, and seems like visual clutter. I need to have everything serene in order to be creative and productive.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

One positive about going doorless ... you are not committed to a depth, and can let things stick out.
Of course, takes away from the super-neat-and-tidy-appearance of a well sorted stash.

Another consideration .... build a closet the length of your wall, and have sliding doors. Depending on the length, you might put several narrow ones, so you can have more access, than with wider ones. You could have more options for stash storage, and give you space to store full size bolts, batting and all the other things we quilters tend to store!

You can leave the doors open to enjoy the view .... or close them over the sections you want to hide clutter!
The sliding doors could be covered and used as design walls, too!