Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
cabinets or open shelves? >

cabinets or open shelves?

cabinets or open shelves?

Old 10-11-2013, 05:58 AM

DebbE - you go, girl! My entire quilt studio is surrounded with Billy Bookcases from IKEA. As I was able to afford them, I purchased glass and solid doors to match where I wanted to hide or just protect from dust, sun and feline tumbleweeds. The Billy narrow bookcase for cd's is perfect for holding all my fat quarters!!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:35 AM

The one thing I do want to mention is that when we wrapped we also measured. Punched a hole in the comic book boards and used Merchandise tags from Staples. That allowed us to put the yardage on each "bolt" used pencil so when we took some off we could remark. It was a little extra work but so worth the effort, I hate finding the perfect piece, pulling it out only to find out that it is not enough. Of course we still have a room full of fabric left to do, but since we got started we have pulled at least 3 full quilts out of stash.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 AM

I use the Billy bookcases from IKEA too. Started out with the glass doors and then purchased the next one with the opaque ribbed plastic. I like that better. Not only does it protect the fabric from the light a little, my shelves can be messy and it's not so noticeable.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 PM

My fabric is on open shelves and I have never had a problem with fading, Works well for me
Old 10-11-2013, 03:42 PM

I would go with doors. It keeps the dust and the light off your valuable fabric.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
As much as I love looking at fabric, especially when it's sorted neatly by color, I prefer most of my fabrics behind solid doors. When everything is visible, it becomes too overwhelming for me, and seems like visual clutter. I need to have everything serene in order to be creative and productive.
My thoughts too.
Sandy
Old 10-15-2013, 03:10 PM

I have Ikea cabinets with the glass doors that are cloudy looking. I have the small cabinet with 8 sliding backets in it and a mirror on the front. My cabinets have three pull out drawers and three shelfs. It has made such a difference. nothing gets the sun light or dust.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 PM

if shelves are bending due to weight, cut boards as supports and put in like books between rows of fabric. cut to height of shelf distance.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Post pictures of all this fabric storage--- I want to drool with envy!,,,
Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 PM

We are planning to go with Hampton Bay pantry units from Home Depot in white. They have a split door on them. My plastic totes will slide right in. We are going to put them across one end of our guest bedroom. I can't wait. First we are going to pull up the carpet and have a rubbery kind of flooring installed.