Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Design wall: batting, fleece or batting??

I'd go to the dollar store and pick up a vinal table cloth (or two). I love mine. The back side keeps my quilting pieces up better than fleece or batting (and i've tried them too) and it's super cheap! Good luck!
    Love 4 stchen

My Latest design wall is a set of wrought iron shelf brackets with the shelf on top naturally no space wasted. Then a long rod I used a closet dowel, then a taupe colored flannel. (I prefer this color since it does not distract the eye like white or black) Not only can I clean it by rolling lint roller it can also be removed and washed over the years. Since the wrought iron has multiple curls I can hang more than one design wall handy for all the multiple levels I work on. Also to keep it stable I have a pocket in the bottom of the flannel for another rod that gives tension and stability like a curtain shade. (I wish I had the foam core insulation board behind it because then I could pin heavier pieces right to the wall.) That would provide the ultimate design wall! Have fun with yours.

Suz
    A teacher once suggested using tan design wall. I don't use a lot of white. She seemed to think that white was too harsh, too much contrast. I tend to agree with her.

Blog Entries
    I've been to a workshop with Liz Porter instructing one time she recommended a gridded flannel backed tablecloth.

Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
    Yesterday at JoAnne's I saw a Fons and Porter Design Wall for $20+ and all it was was a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth (at least from initial appearances)...I couldn't believe it!
    I dug out my old flannel backed table cover and washed and dried it....it works like a charm! I'm loving it!

Wonder how hard it would be to use a sharpie and make grids? Are they necessary??

I have a white piece of fleece that we nailed to a piece of wood on the wall. It works so much better than flannel, to me.

Our local quilt shop sells quilter's white flannel, 90 inches wide and it works perfectly over insulation board. I bought the cheapest insulation board at Menards.

I used headliner that's meant for the inside roof of your car. You can get it at Hancock's . It higher priced than felt but I think it works best. Hancocks have it on sale now and then

My design wall is flannel backed tablecloth screwed onto the wall with a strip of wood. Why use foamboad if you have wall spacce?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast