Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: fabric storage

Blog Entries

Unhappy fabric storage

HELP!! I have a limited budget and more fabric than you can imagine. It is stuck in bins, baskets, boxes, and just scattered all over the floor. I have shelves, but the cards to store it on are so expensive. Where do I get inexpensive cards and where do I start? I will post a picture of my "mess" later today. I really need help!
    Nonnie
    "A quilt is fabric with an attitude"

I've been buying archival comic book boards from Amazon. Very reasonably price and then I cut them down so I get 200 total. works great for me.

Minnie, you don't need to buy those expensive cards to store your stash. I fold my fabric salvage to salvage, then start folding fabric into segments approximately 26 to 30 inches long. Keep folding till all the length of fabric is folded. Then fold in half again or in thirds (whichever gives you the measurement you want). End of with a pc
    8x22 1/2. Then fold in half again ending with a pc 8x11.
    Then just stack them up on your shelves with the last folded edge facing you....nice and neat with no added charge.

I do the same. You can also use a 6.5 X 24 ruler to wrap fabric around then pull out half way, fold in half, pull ruler out all the way. You can stack them on the shelf. When you feel comfortable you will be able to do this just as well with out the ruler. It really looks nice to see all of the fabric when you're done. Some like to group their stacks by color or types: civil war, juvenile prints, solids, etc. You can do it!!

when I'm at the large fabric stores, I ask if they have any cardboard bolts they are tossing. They are always happy to get rid of them.

As per the my poinit of view Fabric wrapped around, then pulled out half, fold in half, pull all the rulers. You can stack on the shelf. When you feel comfortable, you can do as good a ruler. It really looks very happy to see when you complete all of the fabric. Some people like to set the color or type of stack: civil, juvenile prints, solids, etc., you can do! !

I use the ruler method. It is working out great.

Power Poster
    Do you have a LQS in your area? I went in to mine and asked for empty bolts and they were glad to get rid of them. You can cut them done for mini bolts and they are free. Are they as nice as the foam core ones? No, but the're FREE!

Blog Entries
    Free is good (smile). My friend uses the empty bolts from our LQS and they are thrilled to give them away rather than send them to the garbage landfill. Again, free is good.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Blog Entries
    I use the comic boards, get them from our Hobby store, look under comic in yellow pages....these are great and very reasonable....100 or 200 for a bundle

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast