Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: fabric storage

I use the plastic shoe boxes for the dollar store and the under the bed plastic boxes from WalMart. The under the bed shorage is great for fat quarters and one will hold a lot. Also I found some card board boxes for .99 that are also good for that. I am starting to use plastic hangers to hang larget pieces and they work great. Hang them in your closet and you can see instantly what you have and they really save a lot of space.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Blog Entries
    I didn't read through all the replies but here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/search.php?searchid=698771
    tons of great ideas
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

I prefer the ruler method, as I think it adds less bulk and I can fit more into my plastic drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
    I fold my fabric selvage to selvage and roll it up on my 8 1/2 X 24 ruler. Slide the ruler out and then I put a tag inside with how big this fabric piece is, and then fold it in half. I then stack on the shelves in my wardrobes according to color or theme. I don't have to measure the piece of fabric again, because I have already tagged it, so I know instantly if it is big enough for the project. Fat quarters are stacked on end in plastic drawers, so they are easily identifyable.
    This is similar to what I do, except a tag for how much fabric (that is a good idea though.) My fat quarters I just lay in the drawer of one of my plastic carts. I'm putting a link to a site that shows how to use the ruller to fold the fabric.

http://turningturning.com/tutorial-folding-fabric/
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Comforts View Post
    I do the same. You can also use a 6.5 X 24 ruler to wrap fabric around then pull out half way, fold in half, pull ruler out all the way. You can stack them on the shelf. When you feel comfortable you will be able to do this just as well with out the ruler. It really looks nice to see all of the fabric when you're done. Some like to group their stacks by color or types: civil war, juvenile prints, solids, etc. You can do it!!
    I do the same with the long ruler, it looks so neat when you are done and you can see all your fabric at once. Do a little each day, and in no time your task will be completed. Good luck and please post a picture both before and after, we love to see it.
    Retired & enjoying life

milate has wonderful fabric boards for sale here!! I have gotten several from her and they have freed up so much space for me!!! Might want to check them out! I decided to try something cheap...didn't work at all!! Went back to milate because the are a great item and good price as well!! i am alos on very fixed budget! Good luck!!
    Remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nonnie, have you ever thought of a giveaway! LOL......just kidding, most of the fabric I have now is in shelves and bins, as yours............I keep what I'm working with on the accessible shelves but I'm sure I have some that is "hidden" away that I need to get out. I gave away some of my stash to my Mother, who also quilts, when she was working on a project, but then she and my Sister gave me some of theirs........so here we go again! haha...........good luck.......some of the workplace photos in here are just amazing........and where there's a will.........there's a way..........I know you will find that way..........

I use the ruler method works really well for me.

My method is cheap and works great - fold selvadge to selvadge, fold in half width wise, fold in half again, or whatever gives me the 9" wide i need for placing two different fabrics side by side stacked in the drawer/bins I use. Since the bins are see-thru, I can see the colors at a glance in each drawer- blues, greens, reds, browns, etc. Works great.

i go to the dollar store and buy the thick craft board and cut it into the size that i want and then i wrap my material onto it. i usually get six to seven pieces from one large sheet of craft board. I can get it in white or black. I use the white for light colored material and the black for dark material.. At my dollar store the craft board runs 2 for $1.00.

I was on daydesigns.com she has her fabric
    hanging on hangers in the closet.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    I have shelves but use the JoAnn fabric recycle bags, purchased for 1.99 to store my fabric. organized but bagged. my scraps I have used ziplock bags, color stacked and in these large bags too.. cheap, the bags form to shelves. good luck. not the best.. some of these sewing rooms I am in green with envy over !! good luck
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

Wow, all that time organizing! When do you all sew! I had half of the two car garage remodeled into a studio (while my husband was working out of town). I use very tall shelves (designed to be used in the garage to store tools and garage stuff. I sort by fabric type. Then by color. Knits, flannel, wool, decorator, while quilt fabrics are folded and stored separately on shelves by color. Holiday fabrics are stored on a shelf separately (some are metalics, plaid, cotton etc). I sew professionally and I need a fabric type before I might need a specific color. I have so much that it is laying on the floor as there is not enough room for more shelves.

I went to the Dollar store and they had the foam core boards, then when they ran out I went to a local sign board and purchased the coroplast boards, I cut all the larger boards into smaller more convienient sizes, I do am on a budget, but if I buy some, then go get some more, it works out better and it doesn't seem as if I'm spending all that much money at once, buy the way, I get twice as much in my space by storing my fabric in this way
    happy to have enough stash fabric at all time

Quote Originally Posted by judyyoungs View Post
    I use the ruler method also. It is so easy and keeps everything neat. AND it is free.
    I use the ruler method as well. I fold the fabric fold to selvage and then wrap the longer lengths around the 6" wide ruler (I use the 6x12 since it is easier to manage). I wrap the smaller pieces (less than a yard) around a 4" wide ruler. Gives me 2 sized stacks which help making the most of the shelf space.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I've been using the ruler method. Folded fabric has been going into totes but now I need a change. Looking into a 72" tall x 30"wide x 16" deep storage cabinet with doors. I figure what doesn't fit into this cabinet needs to GO GO GO to someone else.....OR ....I may get 2 cabinets and put them side by side... Other things could be store in the second one.
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Thanks for the great idea of the scrap framing board. I have some that stored.....somewhere.
    Charlie DiSante

I have some of my fabric folded using the ruler method, but my favorite is the comic book boards. They are cheap and work really well for me.

Blog Entries
    My favorite method of storing my fabric is going to the Joann's store and they give me the cardboard that the fabric comes on in the store. I cut them into 4 even pieces and fold around it. They store very nicely in tote til I can get them into cabinets or shelving if i can get some.

I new a lady that stored her quilt fabrics on a book shelf and they were folded and color coded and last fold out and it looked nice and neat. Mine is all in tubs but I do have one shelf with fabrics to quilt SOMEDAY. I do not even know what a comic board even is and I understand the cardboard that we get our bolts on are not acid free. I got mine off those and they are stacked behind the cutting table under the wall and can be gotten out by using my reacher.
    AlamoAA
    Have time will quilt

When I first started out, I got the bolt cardboard from my LQS. And they looked so pretty. I arranged by color unless it was the same line. This went on for awhile then......I ran out of room. Spent a whole week getting them off the bolt boards and used my 8 1/2 X 12 ruler method. I was so suprised how much more room I had left. Those bolt boards take up half an inch of space and when space is at a premium, this worked much better for me. Now I have different ways to fold fat quarters, half yards, 1 yard, then yardage. Everything is marked with the amount of yardage. And the ones I have folded different, I can tell by looking and I have them all separated. Now, if I could just get the other side of the room organized...............
    Kittykatz
    Everyone you meet comes with baggage. Find someone who loves you enough to unpack. Anonymous

I just reorganized my sewing rooms and I took my 6 by 24 inch ruler and wrapped them around it and then folded in half once my fabric was around ruler. This way they are all displayed alike and easy to stack in the bins my son built for me. I have it all sorted by color, seasons, children's, babies, farming, firemen, etc. I really love it. I am also going to put shelves in my huge closet to put my finished, quilts, tops, batting etc. Good luck. You will find what works for you.

Blog Entries

Fabric Storage....

I had the same problem...had the fabric lady at wal-mart save me about 20 of the card board bolts. While it looked nice I had less room for storage. My problem is I don't have all the same height furniture. I have a tall hutch w/ drawers for small folded fabric. A dresser and a long hutch. I am one of those anal people that needs to have my rm look nice as well as functional . Right now its very functional but not very pleasing to the eye and its driving me crazy.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
    I didn't read through all the replies but here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/search.php?searchid=698771
    tons of great ideas
    Sorry that link isn't working anymore.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

You don't need to spend any money to organize your fabric. JoAnns will happily give you fabric boards for your larger pieces of fabric or to cut if you choose for the smaller ones. I just folded mine to fit the size of my storage area. What a difference it made in my sewing area.
    Jan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast