Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: fabric storage

I organise into type, then shelve - fold using the ruler method. I also have some lidded bins and ziplocks hung from hooks on my shelving unit.

Organising can be fun.....but how about a moratorium on fabric buying/finding/receiving and get some quick quilts going! Maybe a random scrappy or two..... I just ran out of shelf/storage room and have a pile of fabric on my dining room table waiting to be ironed and cut.....as my dining table is not far from the front door, that is creating the necessity of a deadline. Gotta go....I'm two days into it and there's still a lot there! Happy quilting.

Go to Hobby Lobby or your favorite quilt shop and they will give you those cards when the fabric is gone!!!

I also use empty ( free ) bolts as well, my LQS, Walmart, Hobby Lobby and Hancock's all let you have them here.
    Try your local shops, hopefully they will also! Good luck!
    Country 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ida Jo View Post
    Nonnie, have you ever thought of a giveaway! LOL......just kidding, most of the fabric I have now is in shelves and bins, as yours............I keep what I'm working with on the accessible shelves but I'm sure I have some that is "hidden" away that I need to get out. I gave away some of my stash to my Mother, who also quilts, when she was working on a project, but then she and my Sister gave me some of theirs........so here we go again! haha...........good luck.......some of the workplace photos in here are just amazing........and where there's a will.........there's a way..........I know you will find that way..........
    Ida Jo - I too have resorted to bins for my smaller pieces. And I have about 12 bins full of fabric with 1 yard or less. What does everyone do with fabric that is too small to wrap on boards, but you want to access? I am having a problem with not being able to get to what I want as I work with small pieces often - not whole bed sized quilts. I would love to know of a source for see through drawers.
    Bernina 440QE
    Bernina 1150 serger
    Janome 1000CPX coverstitch

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Do you have a LQS in your area? I went in to mine and asked for empty bolts and they were glad to get rid of them. You can cut them done for mini bolts and they are free. Are they as nice as the foam core ones? No, but the're FREE!
    The bolts from fabric stores are NOT acid free! Just google and ask if they are, and you will be shocked.
    Karen from Appleton, Wisconsin

The bolts from fabric stores are NOT acid free! Just google and ask if they are, and you will be shocked

if you have a dollar store close to you they have these craft boards that come in white or black its usually by the construction paper. it comes in big sheets of about 24inches by 36 inches. i get these and then i cut it into the size of boards that i want like 9 1/2 inches by 12 inches. then i wrap my material around these and it is just like using the expensive cards. and whats best is that you can cut it to the sizes you need. i have big ones for large yardage and then i have some 4inch by 6 inch for my fat quarters and little pieces of fabric. works great for me. the sheets are one dollar and i get 7 large cards out of it. so you can see this is a very cheap way to go. hope it works out for you

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    I use the ruler method. It is working out great.
    Me to. It is simple and the fabric stacks neatly on the shelves.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Do you have a LQS in your area? I went in to mine and asked for empty bolts and they were glad to get rid of them. You can cut them done for mini bolts and they are free. Are they as nice as the foam core ones? No, but the're FREE!
    Those empty fabric bolts are not acid free. After a bit of time, they leave a white line across the fabric that is permanent. This happens, even it the bolts are not stored in light. It is not a good idea to use the cardboard bolts from the fabric stores at all.

Blog Entries
    I don't even use cardboard at all. I fold my fabric to fit the height restrictions in my cabinet. Good luck!
    Go forth and sew!

I used to keep storage fabric through polar notion method. It is very easy to store and you can select any of them out of so many fabrics. Anyone can do it and best option to store fabric through well manner method.

I keep mine in 15" cubicles, black wire put together with zip ties. Only so much fabric fits per cubicle, I can see it all and I find it much easier to tidy up now and again. The other day I also picked up a few of the plastic milk crates, black of course, they are 13" and stack nicely with books/magazines as well as some of my fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ploverwi2 View Post
    The bolts from fabric stores are NOT acid free! Just google and ask if they are, and you will be shocked
    I've decided not to worry about this - the point of owning this fabric is to use it, not keep it for decades. How long would it take for the Non acide free nature of the cardboard to affect the fabric - does anyone here know? and if it affects the portion of the fabric that touches the cardboard, well, I'll cut it off and use the rest.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I too use comic boards and empty bolts from my LQS. Very cheap but attractive.
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
    I've decided not to worry about this - the point of owning this fabric is to use it, not keep it for decades. How long would it take for the Non acide free nature of the cardboard to affect the fabric - does anyone here know? and if it affects the portion of the fabric that touches the cardboard, well, I'll cut it off and use the rest.
    I agree, and I do not want to even do all the work of putting it on something, I'd rather be sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Comforts View Post
    I do the same. You can also use a 6.5 X 24 ruler to wrap fabric around then pull out half way, fold in half, pull ruler out all the way. You can stack them on the shelf. When you feel comfortable you will be able to do this just as well with out the ruler. It really looks nice to see all of the fabric when you're done. Some like to group their stacks by color or types: civil war, juvenile prints, solids, etc. You can do it!!
    That's exactly how I do mine, I don't use the ruler, though. I've ben doing my fabric stash this way pretty much since I started building a stash... it works great!! Good luck getting it oganized!!
    GwenH

Quote Originally Posted by roxannebcb View Post
    Ida Jo - I too have resorted to bins for my smaller pieces. And I have about 12 bins full of fabric with 1 yard or less. What does everyone do with fabric that is too small to wrap on boards, but you want to access? I am having a problem with not being able to get to what I want as I work with small pieces often - not whole bed sized quilts. I would love to know of a source for see through drawers.

roxannebcb: I keep my fabric peces that are smaller than 1 yard in a smaller clear tote box, with a label, I have one for Blue, White,one for Rec, Yellows, etc... work well for me, but by the sounds of i you have a lot more that I do. Hope you find something that works for you!!
    GwenH

i go to the Dollar store and buy the poster board that has foam between the sheets of paper then i cut it into the size i want i usually get between 7-8 per board at a dollar per board the price is just perfect for me. Besides free its the best price around.

I get the throw away bolts form the LQS and Walmart.
    Doesn't cost anything, and works great.
    Good luck, Penny
    Country 1

I just use regular cardboard that I cut to fit my shelves. I built my own shelf with approx. 9 x9 bins ( some are not quite 9 x9 because I'm not the best builder in the world) and also my husband had to help with the screws . After folding and wrapping the fabric I stand them up . If you have a lot of fabric you can see what you have better than if it's stacked on top of each other. I would send pictures if I knew how to do it but I'm not good on the computer but I'm trying to learn more.

There are such awesome ideas on this thread. I especially like the one about stacking in the plastic drawers sideways, and then turning them around... I have plastic drawers just sitting empty in my basement...gotta get down there tonight and bring them up!!

Hope you will post a pic once you figure it out. I am having the same problem with my fabric and mess.
    KSue

I fold selvages together then fold again. Use a 6x12" ruler and roll until it is folded. Stores perfectly without cardboard. here is a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linda

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3