Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Store Your Thread?

How Do You Store Your Thread?

Back in the old days, before I started quilting, I had a wooden board that hung on the wall with pegs on it for each spool. It held about 20 spools of thread. Now...well, now....I just have too much thread to deal with. I really like the thread tote that I bought from a popular, online quilting shop. (However, I just stepped on the handle and broke it...wah!!!) Before I go out and buy a new thread tote or try to fix this one, I thought I'd ask ya'll how you store your thread. Ideas please.

~ Cindy

I have the two sided plastic box that's like the old matchbox box. I also use some decorative tin boxes.

Blog Entries
    I have plastic boxes I bought in the fishing tackle department of WalMart that have dividers that help keep the spools organized. It keeps the dust off the thread and they are semi-clear so I can see what colors are in them before I open them up.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    I use the rubber band method by having the bobbin thread of same color attached. Slip rubber band through the bobbin and out about 1/2", then larger loop through small loop and back around the spool. I keep types of thread separated from each other also. Works for me. still fits on the pegs of the spool carrier.

I have those thread racks that you can take the pegs out if the spools are larger than normal. I think it's called the thread arranger.
    Please become an organ donor
    It really does save lives, my husband is living proof.

I have 3 of the clear thread boxes from Connecting Threads that hold 48 spools of thread each and have handles, and open from either side. They are great and I got them on sale!!

I use zip loc bags for thread and bobbins of the same color. I keep all the bags in a large basket on my sewing room floor.

I have those thread racks that you can take pegs out of whenever required.

Senior Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I used to use the thread racks but I didn't like the way my thread got dusty over time. Now I use clear shoe box size boxes. I can see the thread for colors. I have different size and shape spools so this is a way to accommodate that too.

I put all in the top drawer of my sewing desk that way when I am sewing and run out of thread I just reach in and take out what I need

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast