Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
New Organizing Goal(s) for the 3rd week of August >

New Organizing Goal(s) for the 3rd week of August

New Organizing Goal(s) for the 3rd week of August

Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Oh I need accountability .....we moved in 2 teenage nephews and I lost my spare rm which was a office/scrapbk/misc rm. In the process of moving all the scrapbook supplies in my already over crowded little sewing room,,,,so today I am cleaning out fabric and UFO's I probably will never get to.
This pic was after we down sized from a much bigger house-I then I reorganized again to make sewing stations-now have to reorganized again to add scrapbook stuff.
Sorry about the upside down pic-I don't know how to fix that as its not that way in my files.
Attached Thumbnails 20160703_042811_burst01_resized.jpg   20160815_111738_burst01_resized.jpg  

Last edited by craftiladi; 09-26-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: pic upside down
Old 09-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Altairss....what about those big zip lock type bags that you can compress for batting...or do you buy by the big roll?
Old 09-26-2016, 05:38 PM

I haven't checked in here for a few days but it was fun to catch up on everyone's progress. I packed up four boxes for the local thrift shop from our move/downsizing. I spent a good portion of today working on a long overdue baby quilt. I'll take it to my sewing group tomorrow to start sewing the binding. I really, really wish I knew where my binding tool is, though!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:40 PM

How about using a clothes hamper to organize batting scraps? I'm thinking of trying that, myself.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:38 AM

I actually did finish my organizing goal for this week. I ruler folded all the fabric in my 3 drawer chest. And, I did have more room then I though and now have all my cotton quilt fabric (for the most part) in it. And, I can for the most part see at a glance what I have. Ruler folding it was the way to go. It is pretty full now. I am going to have to start sewing up a storm to make room for any new fabric I buy.

And, I also finished my new granddaughters baby quilt. I'm hoping to deliver it too her near the end of the week.

I look forward to seeing this thread continue. Although, I think I am through donating for the moment. And, I think I have everything organized for now. But, I love seeing all your ideas to streamline and trim down.

I found so many UFO's in my purge that I now think I need to join the UFO thread here on the Quiltboard as well.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:33 AM

Judith1005 come on over the UFO thread. I don't get many done but I love looking at everybody else's.

I hope this thread continues as well. You guys have some great ideas - compressing spare batting being one of them.

My goal was to get things donated and I tried but the donation store has a freeze on new donations. Living in a depressed area has had so many effects - this being one of them I guess. So to donate I will have to drive an hour and a half. Hoping to get most of the boxes gone this weekend as we'll be taking a trip.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:04 AM

Alrairsss- on days when I want to do some mindless sewing I take my scrap batting and zigzag it together into larger pieces that can be used for quilts. I've been doing that for a while and using the stitched together batting in quilts.

Rob
Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Good idea to sew the batting together I just started doing that. I found a couple blogs and this entry on the moda bake shop that show people taking the bigger pieces and with rough trimming and measuring them they are folded and put into bins with the measurement on them so you can quickly grab what you need to either sew them together or use for small projects. So I think I will try this out and see. So far I have only been buying by the package but really think going with a roll would be a better way to go.
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2016/05/...ng-scraps.html
Old 09-28-2016, 04:51 AM

rryder and Altairss both are good ideas. Really need to figure out a better way to organize them than to just throw them in a tote (that's over flowing).
Old 09-28-2016, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Yes I piece batting too and have piles of pieces with sizes on slips of paper attached with a small safety pin.

Below are 2 links to reversible QAYG quilts using small batting pieces. I have almost all the pieces I need for the first one cut out...plus I'm making it a little longer with some horizontal borders. I have made one before with my server, but you can use a straight stitch or an overcast stitch on your DSM. Just be careful to keep all edges even when sewing. This will be a donation quilt for me.

I found the second link while looking for the first...Will be trying this one as well. I think there is no reason why one has to use even widths of fabric in the different pairs of strips on the second...I will try this one after I get my strips cut on the first.

http://www.sewvac1.com/Library/serger_baby_quilt.htm

http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2012...er-quilts.html

Note: I just looked at the second link...she does not incorporate the batting in the piecing like the first, but there is no reason why one can't.

Last edited by oksewglad; 09-28-2016 at 05:59 AM.