Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New organizing goals for 1st week of October

New organizing goals for 1st week of October

Here are mine:

take the collaborative pieces that have been cluttering up my sewing area to the artist who I am collaborating with so he can do his thing with them.

more to come later

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I started making a list, not a big one but it's also like a chart. Anything that has nothing to do with sewing does not go into that room. I have 3 designated rooms, office, bathroom (linen closet) and sewing room. I got 3 baskets and it's making a large dent. I feel as though I can breathe.

That's a great idea about a list. My goal today is to make A LIST of all the projects I need to complete. Like a t-shirt quilt for a grandson, a table topper, and the list goes on and on. LOL But today I am not going to keep it in my head anymore I am going to put it on paper and mark it off as I progress. When I keep thinking about them in my mind I feel overwhelmed and not joyful.

I want to separate my 2.5" squares and strips into boy, girl, or either drawers. I sorted 1"-2" already although I am sure more will pop up for sorting as I go through boxes, etc.

Connie

Not me, I am going to put away items from last quilt. So I can start cutting pieces for 2 Biscuit quilts. Room will be straight and good after that.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Thanks, Rob, for starting the new thread. I've been busy finishing the binding on a baby quilt. I'm so close to the finishing line that I've been consumed with getting it done. A bunch of us went on a shop hop yesterday, too. That was a lot of fun.

The countdown has started for our seasonal move to warmer weather. I have to pack up the sewing machine that's staying at a family member's house for the winter. I'll be starting to sort patterns and projects to go with me. And also we'll be busy sorting, organizing and packing. We've had some cold days so we are starting to look forward to our trip.
    Good luck, everyone, with your weekly goals!

This week clear surfaces. Ongoing, starch and iron scraps ready for cutting. Have 12 baskets to do. Have starched , ironed and cut one basket and starched and ironed another. Once my surfaces are clear will be able to set up my cutting mat so that I'll be able to cut scraps when I have small pockets of time. Well that's the plan.

On today's list, two small projects- pillowcase for DGD 2nd bday and a little something for me. I had been sewing larger quilts and decided to scale back until Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt posting then pedal to the medal.

Blog Entries
    I just returned from a 4 day quilting retreat, so my goal is to unpack and get all the sewing items back into their proper place. I also have a quilt I didn't quite get finished at the retreat, so I want to finish piecing it.
    But my main goal is to start cleaning out the mother in law apt. that is part of our upstairs. Since it has not been used for the past 5 years, it has become our "basement" where there are old clothes, books, and misc. items stored in boxes. I want to go through the boxes and rehome most (or all) of it so I can use the large room as my sewing space! Right now I am sewing in our bedroom, but need more space. The room I am claiming is about 20 X 25 feet and I dare anyone to put their junk in there after I clean it out!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    This would be an exciting thing for me. I would dare anyone to try and stop me. Congratulations on the room.!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
    I just returned from a 4 day quilting retreat, so my goal is to unpack and get all the sewing items back into their proper place. I also have a quilt I didn't quite get finished at the retreat, so I want to finish piecing it.
    But my main goal is to start cleaning out the mother in law apt. that is part of our upstairs. Since it has not been used for the past 5 years, it has become our "basement" where there are old clothes, books, and misc. items stored in boxes. I want to go through the boxes and rehome most (or all) of it so I can use the large room as my sewing space! Right now I am sewing in our bedroom, but need more space. The room I am claiming is about 20 X 25 feet and I dare anyone to put their junk in there after I clean it out!

Blog Entries
    I need to continue tidying up the dining room..I am making progress...our guild has a mystery quilt going...we have 2 blocks to make and share by the next guild meeting...so I need to decide what backing fabric I want to use...the rest is to be from scraps.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I plan to finish at least one UFO this month. If I consistently do this for about 2 years, my sewing room will become uncluttered, I will have lots of gifts available, and my home will be decorated with some really great quilts.

You all have some great ideas. I try to spend a half an hour each day putting things away. I usually do this the first thing in the morning because in the evening (when I should do this with the day's clutter) I don't have the energy to care.

Blog Entries
    I like quilterpurpledog's post.......Thanks I think you gave me an inspiration to try what you are doing....the 30 minute put things away (where they belong) trick. I think I can do that! Morning is right.....I too would be too tired at the end of the day to care about it. That's probably what is wrong with me now...that I don't get things put away at the end of the day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momsbusy View Post
    I plan to finish at least one UFO this month. If I consistently do this for about 2 years, my sewing room will become uncluttered, I will have lots of gifts available, and my home will be decorated with some really great quilts.
    LOL...this will work as long as you don't create any new UFO'S...but then you can rename them as WIP's....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

mac
    Connie,
    How can you tell if your fabric is a boy, girl or either (transgender)? Do you peek under the fabric?

[QUOTE=retiredteacher09;7665482]I want to separate my 2.5" squares and strips into boy, girl, or either drawers. I sorted 1"

Blog Entries
    sew funny, mac...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I'm afraid organizing won't be happening for a while. Yesterday I signed up for another craft show. I now have 3: 10/22, 11/12, & 11/19. Unfortunately, when I checked my bins, I discovered I donated very generously to the blanket drive last year.

Blog Entries
    I got side tracked...can't find my patterns for the guild blocks...so I have measured and labeled all my bits and pieces of batting...I can pair backings with the batting, then make quilts for our local Binky Patrol coordinator...trying to make quilts for boys. Then I headed to my sewing space and have been sorting scraps...have recently been given a bunch and need to get them under control.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tucsonquilter View Post
    That's a great idea about a list. My goal today is to make A LIST of all the projects I need to complete. . .
    I do that at the beginning of each January... It's a 2016 list of goals. However, I still have a couple of projects on there that I'd desperately like to finish by the end of the year.

As far as organizing my sewing room, I'm going to wait until my new room is completed over my two car garage this winter. Then I will move everything out of our spare bedroom into my new space. : )
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    I ordered two light bulbs for my Bernina on the internet. It saves me from driving 22 miles (not a good driver anymore) and not be distracted by all the beautiful fabric. I have come home without the bulbs before, but now both bulbs are burned out.

I too decided I needed to make a list and write down what pattern is for which person and quit changing them up! I sorted all my UFO;s that I found, into their own project boxes. I want to sort measure and fold my left over batting so its neat and not spilling over. I am finishing up quilting another UFO quilt top which leaves me with two more complete flimsies left to quilt then back into finishing the half finished projects. I am trying to sort them by how done they almost are and work back. Although I have three partial UFO's that when I put black thread in for something I try and do them like leaders and enders its makes a little progress.

I wasn't going to post this week as the last few I thought I was organizing well. That was till I went into the guest room and seen how I had left that! Not sure how that happened!
    So the goal (which will take longer than a week for sure) is to get some semblance of order done in there. I have fabric laying all over in there. Pulled fabric changed my mind - that sort of thing but was much to into my creative frenzy to put back I guess..
    Erin

Blog Entries
    elly66, I think there are many of us like you...
    Sew happy at the progress I made last night...just before bedtime I spied the bag that I took over to my QBuddy's the last time we sewed...yes, my guild mystery block patterns were in it....yeah, now I can work on those blocks this week...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Tessagin: You go girl. I have been reclaiming space that I filled with excess stuff over the past 5 years. It is slow going, but I have been tenacious. I have improved my sewing space by so much, it's hard not sit on my laurels and not keep going, but I want and NEED that space. Hang in there. Victory will be sweet.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast