Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New organizing goals for Dec. 3-10 anyone?

New organizing goals for Dec. 3-10 anyone?

Hey all,
    We haven't posted a new organizing goals thread for a week or so, so I thought I'd get one started for this week (staring tomorrow, Sat.).

My goals for this week are:

1. Put the three plastic tubs of knitting UFOs and yarns (mine and DH's combined) in the attic out of my sewing space. (I will go through these this winter and decide on what to keep and what to part with).

2. Fill the 4th plastic tub with miscellaneous craft items that will also reside in the attic until I get a chance to go through them.

3. work on Christmas presents for horsey friends (have to be done by 12-12).

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Hi Rob. You are speaking very dangerously, with this "put it away and deal with it later" philosophy!! The "out of sight, out of mind" fairy is going to come and bite you in the hiney big time! Especially if they are put in a place where you don't normally frequent, like an attic. Good luck! I had to put myself on a goal oriented timeline to get some of my IPO's (UFO has a negative tinge to it, I call them In Progress Objects) finished. And since there are only 4 Saturdays and 2 Sundays available to me (this Sunday is filled with family obligations) between now and Christmas Day, all superfluous projects are put on hold.

However, my current organizational pattern is as follows:

1. Turn off the TV.
    2. Put the cell phone on Pandora music and Get off Facebook!!!
    3. Seriously, Get off Facebook!
    4. Make a list of what you are giving to everyone.
    5. Get the materials together to make said projects. Put like projects together to complete assembly-line style to maximize time.
    6. Start logging in time in the date book and implement deadlines.
    7. Force myself to wait until after Christmas to reorganize my sewing room for my new Tailormade Quilt table. I can't afford the down time!

That's all I have for now. Happy organizing everyone, and Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-01-2018 at 02:09 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Mine is to go "down there" and just straighten out the mess I made when I worked on two blocks from gypsy wife...first two...maybe last two!....back upstairs and finished decorating house for holidays......

1. Table runner is waiting to be hand quilted. 2. Cut out and assemble one block for a future quilt to see if I'm going to like it before cutting more. Biggest thing on my plate now isn't sewing, but sorting, discarding, labeling many albums of photos. Scattered all over on the table downstairs. Making progress though !

[QUOTE=Prissnboot;7710679]Hi Rob. You are speaking very dangerously, with this "put it away and deal with it later" philosophy!! The "out of sight, out of mind" fairy is going to come and bite you in the hiney big time! Especially if they are put in a place where you don't normally frequent, like an attic.]

Prissnboot, I tend to agree with you about that. However, I'm up in the attic at least once a month to change furnace filters, so I think this will work out fine. And, these are the leavings of a major sorting I did yesterday that resulted in throwing away 3 big trash bags full of stuff that wasn't suitable to either use or donate. Believe me, for me to sort through stuff and toss more than half is a major breakthrough! LOL

Rob

Blog Entries
    My baby quilt that is going to a Kenya orphanage is still waiting for me to finish. All that is left is machine quilting and sew up the binding. I have put this off since last May, and it just sits there and Stares at me on the dining room table. I will get it done this weekend! I will - I will.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-01-2018 at 02:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    Anytime I box something up it is so 'outta sight, outta mind's...treading on dangerous water, Rob!!!! But good to know that this is what survived sort #1..

I have 4 blocks to sew for the mystery quilt my guild is doing that I want to sew.
    Need to work on historian book for said guild...I take photos of show n tell and print them onto paper and put into a binder...so many members enjoy seeing the quilts again.

Continue working on my current scrap project...Will soon have all the blocks made and then work at setting these little gems in cohesive order...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

1.Put wine in frig.
    2.Finish wrapping gifts
    3. Clear off cutting table, counters and sewing table, at the present time they are covered with gifts paper, ribbon, and what's left from making tree ornaments.
    4.Find the last sewing project I put on hold to get ready for Christmas.
    5.Finish washing all that flannel I bough at Joann's Black Friday sale
    6.One last trip to post office
    7.Remove the well chilled bottle of wine and pull the cork.

I am really looking forward to that bottle of wine......LOL

I am going to sort and cut my Christmas fabric scraps.

If I put those tubs in the attic, they would be there forever. I leave things like that out until I get so tired of seeing them, I deal with them.

Blog Entries
    Wow! I"m sure glad I'm not the only one. Yesterday I found a pattern on this board called Snowflakes. I'm going to cut that out today and try to get my scant quarter inch seam to come out. If I can't there will be another UFO. I'm only going to use 3 fabrics. What can go wrong?

Blog Entries
    Sigh. I still have 2 of my 3 quilts waiting for backing, quilting, and binding... Hopefully I can at least get the backings made and the quilts sandwiched this week. Also, I have several one yard cuts that need to be put on boards and put away. There was a sale at a LQS where you pick a balloon with a paper inside and get the percentage off that is on the paper. I got 75% off! That made my one yard cuts of nice Moda fabrics $2.13 a yard! Went to the sale the second day and got 60% off, making it $3.40 a yard. Happy, happy, happy!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I haven'[t been able to get to my sewing room since January 31st due to health issues. However this week I had the brainwave to have my DD fill a box from one surface and bring it down for me sort and then she should be able to put things away! Will let you know how that goes LO
    But for quilting - I am attending my quilting group sewing days this week - around DH's chemo - and quilting a quilt for him. Finished the top last week that had been UFP for about 5 years - after finally figuring out what to do with the centre panel - so just need to sandwich, quilt and bind. Wish me luck!
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

1. Finish quilt on long arm frame and reload last quilt for quilting.
    2. Finish binding the last three quilts.
    3. Clean house
    4. Start packing camper for winter trip south.
    5. Enjoy life.

I'm glad to say my organizing was done this past week in ruler folding all the fabrics I'm been acquiring since September. Yes, they have been sitting in totes since then but I got tired of having to crawl over them to get to the design wall so made myself fold them up. I had my embroidery machine going so between thread changes I was able to fold 120 fabrics between 1 yd - 6 yds. Anything over 4 yds were put on bolt boards. Ran out of bolt boards so stopped by my fabric store that's closing at the end of the month to pick up some more boards only to leave with 17 more fabrics........but I came out with lots of boards. All are folded up so now is the trick to find someplace to stash them until I can get my new shelves installed hopefully sooner than later. During the folding process though I found some fabrics I can use on my next project I found free on the Fave.com site. Its a wallhanging 40L x 60W of a world map. All the continents are appliqued so searching for the perfect fabric to represent each continent.

Today I'm going to turn on the quilt machine and finally get started on the baby quilt that's been attached for over a month. Need to get it done, bound and out of here by the end of the month so I can claim it as a finished project for the year.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Speaking of attics, We lived in our last house for 30 years and it had a walk up attic. Great place to put old income tax papers, cancelled checks and bank statements, receipts, credit card statements. REALLY great when we got ready to sell and move. I shredded 17 large bags And burned up the shredder. Then I took the rest to the farm and burned in a barrel - should have done that in the first place. I won't keep more than 5 years now so I learned my lesson.

Blog Entries
    Your sposed to keep 7 years if you claim items on your income taxes

I kinda want to quit cleaning my sewing room I keep finding half finished or barely started projects. I told myself if I find them I need to work on them apparently last Christmas I had no self control at all cause I keep finding lots of UFO I had forgotten about lol

Thanks, Rob, for starting this. We are dealing with a lengthy household issue that seems neverending. The only sewing I'm getting done is when I leave the condo to meet friends. I am grateful for those times but frustrated that things are taking so long to resolve. Unfortunately, my sewing space keeps getting messed up so that we can use that space. Looking forward to getting back in there to organize and sew!

I cleaned the sewing room before Thanksgiving and only put a few things out of sight- mainly scraps, scraps and more scraps. When we moved 3 years ago, I packed up a four drawer chest of photos and 8 additional photo boxes and when we finally got into new home- I said we would go through them. Well that time is here! Sorting and organizing, looking for duplicates, labeling and such for pictures that go back 40 years. Having almost as much fun looking at the pics as I do looking at fabric! Gave two photo boxes to son when he came for visit- he left with a quart ziploc bag of photos! A few more days and it's back to making clothesline baskets for Christmas gifts- now to get those scraps out to cut!

Blog Entries
    Will need to tidy my sewing room (or at least clean off the queen size bed) for my step-daughter and son in law who are coming on the 16th to share Christmas early...my fabrics and notions are as organized as they are going to be until we finish off the new addition over the garage in the spring. Then I will get more detailed in organizing.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to keep my things a little organized as I work on creating patterns and making clothes for my family. My sewing room really needs it badly. I havent' sewn in there in over a yr. I lost my grandson last year and had such a hard time getting back into it. I have another room that I use in the winter for my bedroom, so that I don't have to heat the whole upstairs/downstairs. I have a serger and another emb/combo that I've been using to sew my projects. I really want to get my sewing room done because I love the machine in there for emb. I have to get the gifts done before I worry about that. I am also in the process of organizing and ridding the rest of the house of unneeded items as well
    Judy

I am very sorry for your loss.

My organizational goals have been to rearrange my sewing area, get all my summer fabric purchases folded and put away, and put more sewing cabinets in storage.

So far I've gotten most done - got the last of the items in the sewing room moved out, but now I have to get the totes put on the shelves I put up in place of the cabinets. I've got three cabinets sitting in the kitchen as they have not made it out to the storage shed yet (will do that tomorrow, before it starts snowing). I've got four more cabinets selected to put in storage, and that is going to make things a lot less crowded in the house.

I'm so glad DH and I came up with a better storage solution for my sewing cabinet collection - I will be glad to have room again!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I'm pleased to report that I got the excess knitting and spinning wools and UFOs properly packaged up in 3 plastic totes and stored in my attic, near the entry where I can easily get to them when needed. The 4th tote has been filled with papercrafting items that were cluttering my workspace. Those are for now stored in the hallway. My plan is that if I have not taken anything out of a tote by next summer, it will be taken to our local nonprofit art and craft teaching workshop.

Now I just have to finish the 5 stitch and fold wreaths/candle mats for the Dec. 12 gift exchange with my horsey friends LOL!

Rob
    Last edited by rryder; 12-09-2016 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Forgot to add

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast