Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Organising a sewing room >

Organising a sewing room

Organising a sewing room

Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 AM

I am so NOT very organized and I have set my sights on BECOMING organized lol! I have now organized my yardage by color in my cubbies, and still like to sew. I take time sewing, and then "change gears" and organize for a bit, then sew for a bit more, then organize a bit......I will have to post pics cuz now I have labeled and organized my drawers with thread and notions and labeled them; organized yardage; and NOW will head into the wonderful world of UFO's!!!!
Old 08-01-2016, 03:22 AM

I just moved into the basement..my Mr. did all the work though. I finally have most of my machines in one room.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:20 AM

Isn't that colorful and organized!
Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 AM

Thanks lot2do.. I try.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 AM

KalamaQuilts, what is "ruler folding"? I'm in desperate need of organization, especially when it comes to my stash. My quilting room is in such disarray right now that it's scary!! Too many projects and not enough time... I quilt between time I spend longarming - so it's a little sewing here, and a little there...
Old 08-02-2016, 10:58 AM

If you google ruler folding some tutorials come up that are great. I use the comic boards but they fit better on my shelves. I work better when my work space is clean but I have too much stuff in too small of space. I was gifted a stash and I haven't quite been able to make it work into the space. It makes me nuts but at the same time I am not the most tidy of persons either when I am creating. I was feeling really bothered again by the clutter so I cleaned up a bunch and suddenly I am productive again. My room is a constant work in progress while part of me enjoyed the free fabric I was given its also giving me headaches too.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 AM

I cut down boxes from the post office, they're free and sturdier than the comic boards. I have to say, I am a clutter person but regularly organize my stash. It saves me running to the store, looking for something that I already have. I work faster and am more inspired when my space is tidy and I am less distracted.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:36 AM

I tidy up, clean and organize before I start.....because I sew until I drop.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:12 AM

I have one room (about 12' square) designated as the room to store, cut, and iron, with no wiggle room. Fabric and projects are on shelves or in clear bins, so everything is in view. Sewing machine is used in another part of the house where I also use a mini iron for the initial piece work. HOWEVER, hubby set up a Conex, (a storage/shipping container) 8 1/2' x 40, insulated, air conditioned, that I can use as I will, so I see a change in the future.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:04 AM

Just moved into new room for sewing. Still finding totes, boxes, bags from all over the house. Challenging to get it all corralled!! And what I thought was a big sewing room is quickly getting crowded. But....I am really liking finding my scissors and seam ripper when I need them. It is still not where I think I may be done, but then again maybe it never is done? For me it is baby steps....