Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Organising a sewing room >

Organising a sewing room

Organising a sewing room

Old 03-13-2016, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Hey Dotty! How goes the battle?
I'm organising a little each day but just not sewing as I feel I must be organised first. It's so confusing so many other things keep jumping in.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Supposedly, hopefully and maybe, DH and I will renovate the sewing room to make things portable when we have company. Taking the shelves down and putting in a murphy bed, vertically with bookcase shelving. In the meantime I've been going through fabric stash by laying containers on my table and bench. Getting better.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:50 PM

I try to organize and clean up after each project. Sometimes I don't take the time to fold the left over fabric just the way it was but at least I put it away behind doors of my Ikea Cabinets. I put all the thread and tools back and rulers before I start my next project. If I did not do this it would turn into a disaster. My room is not that big and my cutting table is in another room which i can fold up small when I am getting company. I do have one corner where I kind of throw things in this basket and that is not always cleaned up.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:59 PM

i can organize just about anything, but absolutely can not keep anything organized. Seems that God only gave me the "how to organize" and "take it out" genes! The 'maintain organization" gene (aka; the put it back gene") was never activated.

I have to set a specific time to put things away, and that usually happens before we have company. Or when all the fabric scattered around the house (no sewing room) starts to overwhelm me. Any other time, my house looks like a fabric store exploded...
Old 03-24-2016, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
i can organize just about anything, but absolutely can not keep anything organized. Seems that God only gave me the "how to organize" and "take it out" genes! The 'maintain organization" gene (aka; the put it back gene") was never activated.

I have to set a specific time to put things away, and that usually happens before we have company. Or when all the fabric scattered around the house (no sewing room) starts to overwhelm me. Any other time, my house looks like a fabric store exploded...
R
i used to have the organise gene and my sewing area and home was minimal. I have had a nervous break down which I am coming out of it slowly and the mess I have created it sending me rapidly into depression. Do you have a pill I can take to get back my how to organise gene?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:23 AM

I usually have just one major project at a time, but have just devised 2 additional small projects (lap quilt and pillow) from the current quilt left-overs. When I purchased the needed fabric for backs, etc, the quilt store owner willingly cut the pieces into manageable sizes for each project. Completed all the cutting needed and put everything in one box so they are more contained. While I have a wonderful set up for the combined use of my room (personal computer stuff, business records, bookshelves for storage) I have room to set up just one machine at a time, usually my Featherweight. The Brother is now set up for some heavier sewing, so temporarily set up the Featherweight in the kitchen to finish the quilt as that is the machine on which it was started. I use the dining room table for cutting and some layout work. Thankfully, there have been no complaints as it gets cleaned off for dinner guests. I generally use extensions with both machines, even for small projects which take up additional sewing table surfaces. I purchased a small rolling cart with drawers for storage of supplies and am gradually eliminating some of the baskets on the sewing table so perhaps I can set up the Featherweight again, with the Brother sans the extension. Recently purged a lot of my unused fabric to be given to guild members which helped with the mental over load.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Sew a little, organize a little. I do more sewing than organizing and cleaning but my trick is to the later frequently so things don't get overwhelming. It never seems to be a burden that way.
peace
Old 07-11-2016, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

I kind of organize and clean as I go with an occasional major organization session. That is for the whole room. I always clean the table on Thursday afternoon just before my buddies come for quilting night.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:36 PM

I clean up after I finish a quilt top.
If I don,t my wife wonders in to my room and I,d never find any thing again lol
Old 07-13-2016, 09:25 AM

I usually tidy up (or organize) at the end of each project... put the fabrics and thread colours used etc. I do change things around but it's often because I have to because I've purchased another vintage machine lol.