Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The Sewing Room

This is where I was, I like my new setup much better!
    Making the Sewing Extension
    :-)
    CAS

Very nice sewing room, I am intrigued by the "spoon bobbin holder" and would love to see a larger photo of it.

Beautiful room and what a nice set up. Your sewing space must be very inspiring....it's very polished and chic looking but still homey and inviting. Please post more as you get more done...especially your fabric storage. Thanks for sharing.
    Kathy

A mind is like a parachute...it works best when open....

Thanks Judy5cents. It is starting to get a neat looking tarnish to it.

Name:  Spoon.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  142.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by judy5cents View Post
    Very nice sewing room, I am intrigued by the "spoon bobbin holder" and would love to see a larger photo of it.
    CAS

Thank you Kathiemarie. I need to decide on a theme to decorate it and then paint and quilt to match. I forgot to mention he changed the closet so it is mounted on the right and opens backwards, that way I can still get in there with the cart in front of it. I do not have much fabric, but the tote in the closet is full, and the projects I'm working on go in here:

Name:  Inside.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  49.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by kathymarie View Post
    Beautiful room and what a nice set up. Your sewing space must be very inspiring....it's very polished and chic looking but still homey and inviting. Please post more as you get more done...especially your fabric storage. Thanks for sharing.
    CAS

While I'm bragging about my DH, he does what he can to make my life easier. He made this thread stand:
    Name:  Threadstand.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  31.6 KB
    And mounted a rack to store my irons so they aren't falling off the ironing board (oops -- dropped my Shark on the hardwood three times already!) when not in use:
    Name:  Irons.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  47.7 KB

I knit too, and he invented this from plumbing parts at Jerry's. It's for knitting two socks at a time, the top spins so if I hold the thread up and spin it my next skein rotates into position. This prevents the tangled mess and constantly flip flopping skeins on the floor or table. The smaller dowels on top are for elastic spools if I need to add it to my socks. You can imagine the fun I had before trying to juggle 4 things!
    Name:  2Socks.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  29.4 KB
    He made this for winding yarn. The spool has a large bolt screwed into it which sticks into the weighted base. When I want to wind yarn the whole thing pops out and into a rechargeable drill. The drill has a reversible option, and also can be run really slow, so this saves having to wind it all by hand. The top cap unscrews too so I can feel yarn from the floor, or pull it from the side.
    Name:  Spool.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  21.7 KB

I sewed this (obviously in a hurry and could have done much better) and it hangs behind the sewing room door:
    Name:  Needles.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  35.9 KB

This is fun to share! It shows how many improvements we've made and how inspired I should be!!
    CAS

Cas---Now I do need to come out and sew in your nice sewing room. I like it.
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

That will be fun, is your calendar opening up yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelco View Post
    Cas---Now I do need to come out and sew in your nice sewing room. I like it.
    CAS

I am still working on making my sewing room comfy. I bought a "like new" Ikea desk at a yard sale for $25 and turned it into an ironing stand. Hubby made the platform to go below it so it is height I need, it also adds storage. I stapled the batting and fabric for the ironing board into place, using a top layer with fewer staples that can be removed easily to wash it. The drawers are perfect for storing thread. I'm going to section them as necessary by putting weather-stripping along the sides and cutting thin pieces of wood to wedge between the strips. My extra sewing machines will be stored underneath and you can see my little arm/leg ironing board hangs on brackets in that space too. The iron rack will be installed also.

Name:  Sewing Room 004.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  223.1 KB

We also hung a peg board for the rulers (another great yard sale find; $3.00 including all the hangers, painted to look spiffy):
    Name:  Rulers.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  116.5 KB

I bought a nice big bullitin board to use as design wall but I haven't decided where to hang it yet. I may just glue it to the back of the door.
    CAS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3