Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Table Ideas?

Sewing Table Ideas?

Hi! I have a new addiction to quilting...another story for another post. But, as a result, I will be re-doing my office into a sewing room. Yeah!! Right now I have the sewing machine on a folding table in the office - not the ideal situation. When I get the machine up to any speed the table is rockin! So, I am thinking I need something sturdy, with plenty of space on the left side, as deep as I can and with room underneath for storage. Has anyone tried the hollow door on filing cabinet method? My husband is thinking a piece of plywood for the top might also work (I'm concerned about the rough finish of plywood). Any suggestions or other features I should be thinking about? Thanks so much! My first post...so exciting!!!

I'm thinking that the height of the file cabinets may not be right---you really do not want to scrunch down or up for long periods of time!!!
    How about an old dining room table?? If it is too tall...have DH cut the legs to the right (for you & your machine). That would give you length and depth!
    I do not have a lot of room so I went with a sofa table--length to the side and a decent depth!! And I cut the legs to fit me!! And cut some plywood for an extension table for the sewing machine---works great!!!
    The important thing is to learn a lesson every time you lose. Life is a learning process and you have to try to learn what's best for you. Let me tell you, life is not fun when you're banging your head against a brick wall all the time.John McEnroe

I am thinking that the thrift shop or garage sale might have a table or desk that is the same amount as the sheet plywood and would be much nicer to work on.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    you can get plywood that is real smooth you want it about the same height as a desk.

Blog Entries
    I'm using a big office desk which is very steady and it has drawers. I really like it.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

What about this, I hear a few people on the board have said they have this table and they like it, it seems relatively inexpensive
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-Sew...ishes/15690337

My mom uses 2 wooden file cabinets on the left side and one on the right side. Then she laid a flat wooden door on top. Gives a ton of space to work on. She uses it as a desk. She has room for a printer, computer, television and more. See if that might work for you.

I have an old desk that I use. I also have my old office chair that can be raised or lowered. It all works for me.
    Marilyn

If you use plywood just have him use a router around the edges, works great!
    Good luck, Penny.
    Country 1

My DH made my sewing table out of plywood, router edges, round off corners, sand well, use 3-4 coats varathan, then Min Wax for furnature. It is just the right heigth. he cut a hole in the top so my machine sits leavel with the plywood. have lots of storage under left side. The furnature wax helps fabric slide easy.
    Last edited by Gramie bj; 06-01-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add information

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast