Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Table Ideas?

Sewing Table Ideas?

Hi! I have a new addiction to quilting...another story for another post. But, as a result, I will be re-doing my office into a sewing room. Yeah!! Right now I have the sewing machine on a folding table in the office - not the ideal situation. When I get the machine up to any speed the table is rockin! So, I am thinking I need something sturdy, with plenty of space on the left side, as deep as I can and with room underneath for storage. Has anyone tried the hollow door on filing cabinet method? My husband is thinking a piece of plywood for the top might also work (I'm concerned about the rough finish of plywood). Any suggestions or other features I should be thinking about? Thanks so much! My first post...so exciting!!!

I'm thinking that the height of the file cabinets may not be right---you really do not want to scrunch down or up for long periods of time!!!
    How about an old dining room table?? If it is too tall...have DH cut the legs to the right (for you & your machine). That would give you length and depth!
    I do not have a lot of room so I went with a sofa table--length to the side and a decent depth!! And I cut the legs to fit me!! And cut some plywood for an extension table for the sewing machine---works great!!!
    Joy of getting older: If I do something stupid,
    I won't remember long enough to stay embarrassed

I am thinking that the thrift shop or garage sale might have a table or desk that is the same amount as the sheet plywood and would be much nicer to work on.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    you can get plywood that is real smooth you want it about the same height as a desk.

Blog Entries
    I'm using a big office desk which is very steady and it has drawers. I really like it.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

What about this, I hear a few people on the board have said they have this table and they like it, it seems relatively inexpensive
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-Sew...ishes/15690337

My mom uses 2 wooden file cabinets on the left side and one on the right side. Then she laid a flat wooden door on top. Gives a ton of space to work on. She uses it as a desk. She has room for a printer, computer, television and more. See if that might work for you.

I have an old desk that I use. I also have my old office chair that can be raised or lowered. It all works for me.
    Marilyn

If you use plywood just have him use a router around the edges, works great!
    Good luck, Penny.
    Country 1

My DH made my sewing table out of plywood, router edges, round off corners, sand well, use 3-4 coats varathan, then Min Wax for furnature. It is just the right heigth. he cut a hole in the top so my machine sits leavel with the plywood. have lots of storage under left side. The furnature wax helps fabric slide easy.
    Last edited by Gramie bj; 06-01-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add information

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    . he cut a hole in the top so my machine sits leavel with the plywood. .
    What's holding the machine level with the table top? Did he buy something already made up (like a bracket) or did he think of a cleveer solution?

Pictures would help if you have time.

I'd LOVE to have a larger level sewing area. Thank you
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
    What's holding the machine level with the table top? Did he buy something already made up (like a bracket) or did he think of a cleveer solution?

Pictures would help if you have time.

I'd LOVE to have a larger level sewing area. Thank you
    I would love to post pictures but can't seam to get them to post. Best way to discribe it is he made a droped shelf attached to the bottom of the table.

You can also use a sheet of MDF, instead of the plywood. MDF is heavier but can be sanded much more smoothly, then painted.

Blog Entries
    Here is what my FIL did for me, on pg. 3 (last on there anyway lol) I actually posted how he did if for the set in insert.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/2in1-fmq-info-help-kitchen-table-insert-made-into-sewing-table-insert-t189626.html
    http://babyfire04.blogspot.com/
    If it makes you happy, it's worth the time!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    What about this, I hear a few people on the board have said they have this table and they like it, it seems relatively inexpensive
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-Sew...ishes/15690337
    Thanks for posting this link. I had not really seen this but I like it. My sewing room/office is already too full but I also like to sew in the living room but hate the messy look with folding table and machine just sitting out. This would be an attractive piece of furniture when not in use. I might just order it myself!!

I got my tables at Ikea. it was perfect because you can get the sizes you need to fit your area and they have different options to put under, draws, shelves, cabinet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paula

You can get a better grade of plywood that is smoother. I've been quilting for 10 years and I now have a Horn table that my sewing machine sets into. I like it a lot. However, my sewing room has evolved over those 10 years. I started sewing on a desk in our guest room, graduated to a drafting table that my husband cut out the center for my machine and then finally the Horn. I actually think the door or plywood would be a good and inexpensive solution.

Thanks everyone for your ideas! Although I would love to find an old table and repurpose it, I have to move on the re-do of this room while I have the window of opportunity with DH, family schedule, etc. I think we will look at MDF tops and something to go underneath. But perhaps a field trip to Ikea might be fun! I will keep you posted!

I repurposed an office desk that I found on craigslist. If money allows, you might try a Lowes or Home Depot or a local countertop shop and have a laminate countertop made to your size. You can buy pre-made countertops, but they will have a backsplash, which I would not want.
    Shirley in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    My DH made my sewing table out of plywood, router edges, round off corners, sand well, use 3-4 coats varathan, then Min Wax for furnature. It is just the right heigth. he cut a hole in the top so my machine sits leavel with the plywood. have lots of storage under left side. The furnature wax helps fabric slide easy.
    would love to see a picture of that

I picked up at kitchen table at Wal-mart for less than $100. Works out good. Have my Janome 11000 on it.

I bought a piece of plywood, sanded it and beveled the edges. Then put 2 coats of varnish and it sits on top of my
    old treadle legs. Love it. It doesn't wobble at all and looks good, too. Very cost effective. I use it for my FW.

Hi, My DH found an OLD teacher's desk that a local school was clearing out and snagged it for free----solid oak! After many coats of poly, he set it on table legs from a big box home store (am thinking of swapping table legs for filing cabinets at some point). I have loads of room for what I'm working on and the table was as close to free as you can get. It's so solid I think the house could fall down and the table would still be standing. Only extra thing we did was add a large Olfa mat to the top and hang pegboard on the wall where sits on for extra storage. It's great!

We bought an inexpensive door - covered it with 1/4" foam rubber, then covered it again with heavy muslin. It is now an ironing board plus I put my cutting boards on it. It can be put on top of 2-drawer file cabinets or whatever you have that is tall enough.

If you have to use plywood, you could cover it with the vinyl fleece-backed tablecloths that are inexpensive. Cover and staple underneath.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast