Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Table Ideas?

I got a computer desk at a consignment shop for $75.00! Score for me. It is a wood top with 3 steel legs. Wide to the left with ample room for a quilt and I can even have an ironing pad behind my machine. I love sewing/quilting now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    I have peel and stick tile on the top of extra thick ply wood..works great. We fixed it that wy for my daughter to practice her tap dancing years ago. Gotta love the scraps!

Blog Entries

you can use a small piece of ply on the folding table, it will absorb alot of the vibration especially if the machine is over the legs on the right side. If you use plywood for the top with file cabinets or elfa drawers you can cover the board with fabric and clear vinyl or a flannel back table cloth. I now have a sewing desk that my machine fits in. But before that I used one of these which I still take to me to sewing classes. http://sewingmates.com/ The thing I like about this table is that it will fit more than one sewing machine. Since most of us tend to get more than one.
    Last edited by acesgame; 06-02-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    Just my 2 cents and probably not worth that much but I ALWAYS have an opinion!

Blog Entries
    I bought the one from JoAnn's when it was on sale for 1/2 price. It has a leaf that opens up to make it extra large. A swing out door that gives me space to either put a small ironing mat when piecing or an extra machine, drawers and storage. It was easy to put together and it has held up very well. I can have it with my embroidery machine going and I'll be sewing on the other side with no shaking going on. Before that I used my dinning room table and an old wood desk bought at a thrift store.

Here's the one I got but it was at JoAnn's 1/2 price

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sullivans-...Table/19518214
    Last edited by romanojg; 06-03-2012 at 04:18 AM.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaseysmom View Post
    Hi! I have a new addiction to quilting...another story for another post. But, as a result, I will be re-doing my office into a sewing room. Yeah!! Right now I have the sewing machine on a folding table in the office - not the ideal situation. When I get the machine up to any speed the table is rockin! So, I am thinking I need something sturdy, with plenty of space on the left side, as deep as I can and with room underneath for storage. Has anyone tried the hollow door on filing cabinet method? My husband is thinking a piece of plywood for the top might also work (I'm concerned about the rough finish of plywood). Any suggestions or other features I should be thinking about? Thanks so much! My first post...so exciting!!!
    We took a folding table and used some wood for the top to stabilize it. I sanded the board and stained it. It looks great. I also can now put the plastic cabinets with the little drawers underneath it. It works out great fro me. It gave me more room for sewing and now I have storage too. The board made it stable. Without that the table vibrated too bad. This is a good way and cheap too.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Junior Member Happy Cat Quilter's Avatar
    I'll be honest my sewing room is an absolute wreck! I have been trying to get it set up so that I have a table long enough to accommodate my embroidery, featherweight and serger. With this in mind I have purchased 3 sewing machines with cabinets from Goodwill. The most I have paid is $29. right now they are all sitting next to each other. If the machines didn't work I would have him buy some boarding and make a smooth level top accross all 3 cabinets. What I like about this is the cabinets are inexpensive and the ones I chose have storage space for thread and odds and ends. So far it is working for me I don't mind that they are not the same style.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaseysmom View Post
    Hi! I have a new addiction to quilting...another story for another post. But, as a result, I will be re-doing my office into a sewing room. Yeah!! Right now I have the sewing machine on a folding table in the office - not the ideal situation. When I get the machine up to any speed the table is rockin! So, I am thinking I need something sturdy, with plenty of space on the left side, as deep as I can and with room underneath for storage. Has anyone tried the hollow door on filing cabinet method? My husband is thinking a piece of plywood for the top might also work (I'm concerned about the rough finish of plywood). Any suggestions or other features I should be thinking about? Thanks so much! My first post...so exciting!!!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I have a piece of plywood. It is covered with 1/4" jute carpet pad, then covered with a piece of canvas. It is stapled to the under side of the ply wood. I have had this for just years and I love it. You can iron on it, pin to it and put your machine on one end and sew. Under the whole thing you can have small cabinets, storage, etc. I went to a drapery class once and that is what the teachers recommended for making drapes. I could not sew with out this table.

I used plywood. I had it cut to the size I wanted, 3ft x 5ft and 2ft x 4ft. I also had some louon, cut the same size's. I used an adhesive and glued the louon to the plywood. I let it sit with pressure for 24 hours. I then refinished it with an Ebony stain, then used poly to seal it. Again letting it sit with new stain for 24 hours. I then attached 2 table legs on one end of each new table top and chrome metal 2-tier shelf on the opposite ends. Which you can get most anywhere, cheapest at Walmart. These made a perfect L-shape sewing and work area for me, in the corner of my quilting room. The table leg ends are inside of unit with the chrome shelving on the outside ends. I use the larger section for my sewing machine. I am able to store things I need quickly on the selving, just to the right & below when I sew. I am then able to turn in my chair to the left side of desk to piece, cut or what ever.

My father picked me up an L-shape computer desk at an auction...after the auction was over this desk was just sitting there and my father asked if it was for sale. The man said sure, give me a price...my dad said: "$15.00"..."SOLD"...lol So, I am very lucky indeed! I can have my computer on one side and my sewing machine and rotary mat on the other side. This way I can watch the tutorials and sew at the same time. My daughter and I went to a few garage sales and we picked up some baskets. I have my odds & ends in them/books/etc... I also have lots of room under my desk and it sits in our living room!~~ ) Just look around, especially since garage sales are in season. You may want to check out Big Lots or one the Office Max stores. Maybe in your area a scratch and dent store? Just be patience and make sure you get what you need and ask family and friends to help you search. Good luck!!

Blog Entries
    There is a new post on here this week where one quilter's husband bought a desk at Goodwill (I think) for $5. He cut out and set her sewing machine down into it - it had lots of room and is the perfect height - cheap too! I use a desk, my machine sits on a fabric placemat so I can move it back and forth to have room in front when laying things out - that works best for me in the space I have - I would love to have a larger desk but there isn't enough room.

In My sewing room my Hubby made my sewing table out of a sheet of 4x8 ft AB 3/4 inch PLY wood.( ABS All that means is that one sides smoother than the other.) He sanded it, He even put a 1 inch grid But I never use it because I have a Cutting Mat over it. then he put a Coat of clear Verathane. As to legs I have old Tables/ Dressers Fabric storage ete....

I really like my Sauder cabinet!

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Card tables are wide, sturdy and cheap. Check Staples or Office depot.
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

sap
    I used 2 4 drawer chests n plywood

I used 5/8 plywood on 2 short dressers glued n nailed n then covered w the heavyest plastic I could get from WM. has worked for me for 20 yrs. Keeps my "notions" close buty un seen

I just went to Good Will a week ago and bought a beautiful extremely large office desk. It measured 90 inches by 45 inches. The finish was fabulous and the cost was also great.I paid 50 dollars for it and it also has 4 drawers
    Billy Jean

I found the perfect table for me at a hotel used furniture store. Paid $25. then paid a guy $50 to make the cut out and put a shelf underneath. I love it and all for $75.00.

Blog Entries
    My husband made me a great sewing table after years of waiting. Anyway, before that I used a folding table and put a piece of plywood under my machine. It worked fine.

I used the hollow door on plastic milk crates for years and years. I hung a skirt around it to hide storage (attached with velcro). It was plenty sturdy to hold my Viking, and it had a smooth finish to it.
    Happy fingers, happy heart.

I too have the sewingmates table and I love it. I can use it on my embroidery machine, my serger, my longarm works with it too off of the frame (no need for that big frame), and my regular sewing machine. Best sewing equipment investment I have made.
    Happy fingers, happy heart.

Enhance your work space with one extension that will move to each machine!

Get the best of both worlds... add a flat level extension to give you that custom cabinet feeling when you sew. One Sew AdjusTable will fit all of your machines with quick simple adjustments. You have a great set-up there! www.sewingmates.com
    Last edited by Barb-sewingmates; 06-07-2012 at 11:33 AM.

To Grammy27, Thanks so much for your post, these are great tables but most people have never heard of them.
    Last edited by Barb-sewingmates; 06-07-2012 at 12:24 PM.

I also use 2 filing cabinets and a wooden door. You have 4 drawers to store things in. Works great for me.
    BJ

I took an inexpensive dining table from Ikea ($40) and cut out a hole and attached a shelf underneath for my machine to sit on. I then bought the clear vinyl plastic table covering from JoAnn's (you can get it by the yard). I cut out a space for my machine/needle and stapled it underneath the table. This gave me a super slippery surface. I had the cut out edges just slightly overlap onto my machine so there was nothing to snag nor any holes for things to fall into.

I have since then, purchased different ikea tables (yes i have an Ikea addiction ). I am not comfortable cutting holes in these tables due to the materials they are made of so my machine is currently sitting on top. Which works ok for me since both machines are embroidery machines as well and I can not recess them with the embroidery unit attached.

I really liked my plain dining table with a hole cut into it. It was a good size as well (4'x30"). Even if you use plywood, you can still cover the plywood with vinyl and get a super smooth surface, which you can replace if necessary.

Blog Entries
    Ikea tables are great...smooth top and adjustable legs. I use that next to my gidget II which is what I use to had my sewing machine. the table is very low! I use a computer chair which works out great. for my serger which I have not used yet. I use my treadle table to hold.

Blog Entries
    There are so many options and ideas to choose from, especially from everyone on this Quilting Board, but one of the neatest tables I have ever seen was a hollow door, highly varnished, attached to the old wrought iron sewing cabinet legs. She actually had two in her sewing room, one table was used for the machines, the other was used as a cutting table. Just perfect! They were so beautiful that now every time I go to a flea market, I always keep an eye out for old sewing machine cabinets so I can use those legs in the same manner.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast