Where do I start?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 AM

Default Where do I start?

We have moved into a new house so I have a large bedroom for my craft room. I have enough things to have a sewing room and enough scrap booking things to have another room but I'm only allowed on room. Anyway I'm trying to figure out where to start first with organizing my room. The main thing I'm working on is organizing my sewing stuff. All my fabric is folded, put in a ziplock bag ( I don't completely close the bag) and I also put an index card in the bag which has who made the fabric, type, design, amount/yardage and where I purchased it from). I use paper clips to hang the bags on wire shelving. To store my fat quarters I use an over the door shoe holder with an index card also. My thread is hung on the wall. I have a wall used to display a quilt in progress using the fuzzy side of a vinyl table cloth.

Now the problem. What/how do I organize next? I'm rather overwhelmed and need some pointers. I am new to quilting so I'm always up for tips and suggestions.

I have a few pictures of my room just not sure how to upload them here so you guys can get an idea of what i'm working with.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

The first thing I would do before moving everything in, is paint if needed. After that I would buy a couple of the tall cupboards with doors and shelves. It is better to store things vertically in the room first before using up too much floor space. The cupboard units are not very expensive and it would give you one for your fabric and one for your scrapbook stuff. There are some great ideas in the organize section of QB for making your own cutting table out of bookshelves. Keep an eye out for pieces you can paint and re-purpose in your sewing room.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:24 AM
DJ

What a wonderful quandary to be in! What kind of closet space to you have? We have large closets in both of our now spare rooms. Rather than have all that hanging space, DH installed shelving in about half the space. It's much more usable for us. If you want to keep the hanging space, there are other storage options which use hangers, such as shoe storage hangers.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Measure your room. Depending on the size, can you allow 3/4 for sewing and 1/4 for scrap booking? One area/table for cutting (scrap and material). My scissors are labeled for sewing and paper/other. Sometimes if you haven't done this already, you have to go up for storage. I have a friend who does both also. One side of her room says "Let's Quilt) the other "Let's Scrap". She planned everything on graph paper. But not hard to do with paper and ruler. She used a large utility cabinet as her scrapbook desk/area. Her husband cut an extra piece of shelving to fold out for more work space. Cut couple holes in back for cords. her sewing room is 9x9. Her scrapbook area is about 3x5. You can also go to YouTube and check out some of the spaces there.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM

Do nothing permanent yet and live with it for a bit first! I thought I knew and I wish I had waited but I am getting it sorted out!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 PM

Can someone let me know how to post photos so I can give you an idea of what my room looks like now. Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 AM

Here you go. http://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help...s-t168819.html

can't wait to see what you've got to work with! I also have a combination sewing/papercrafting room and I'm still in the middle of organizing (we moved in at the beginning of October and unfortunately my craft room was low on the list of priorities).
Old 01-28-2014, 04:26 AM

I just put in the things I need as I need them apart from the fixtures (machine table etc). I fill it quickly and rarely move it around except to drag things out to use or to fit more in. I've moved quite a few times and gone from larger to smaller etc.
Eventually, you'll hit on the way you want it organised but in the meantime, don't let it stop you sewing!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 AM

Start with graph paper.........like an interior decorator, start with your room's shape and size, noting windows and doors and electrical sources. then cut out shapes (to scale) of your main furniture units. it's easier to move pieces of paper than it is to move the actual furniture. Remember to leave plenty of room for chairs to push back and for you to move around.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

bookcases and baskets to store things... Pegboards to hang. hold and organize what-nots. Wall CD racks are great for holding Fqs..

Figure out where you want your sewing machine, and cutting area, and ironing station to be and then work around that... once those three are in place you can start filling in the spaces..