Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this a featherweight?

What makes a sewing machine a featherweight? I got this at an auction and it is in a case and it is really heavy. A friend of mine told me it is NOT a featherweight. Besides an old machine what is it?

front of machine
    Name:  Attachment-164748.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  43.0 KB

backside of machine
    Name:  Attachment-164749.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  39.5 KB

Blog Entries
    It's not a featherweight. Featherweights weight about 12 pounds and have a little shelf to the left of the needle that is hinged and folds up. The weight makes it easily portable.

Not sure which model you have exactly, but the condition is excellent and it should sew very, very well. I love those old machines, but they do weigh a lot. Machines such as yours are collectible also; they just do not typically have as much monetary value as featherweights (which are prized because of their portability).

Oh, and a featherweight would not be in a wooden base like that. They stand on their own.

It's not a featherweight but it is nice. The model number is on the little plaque below the Singer badge on the front of the machine. I can't see the number in your picture. Featherweights have a fold-up shelf to the left of the needle and are smaller.

Blog Entries
    My uneducated guess is that it is 99. They are 3/4 size machines known to be great stitchers. Put 'vintage sit' in the search box and the vintage machine shop will open. There are people there who can help you.

My DH says he thinks it is a model 15-91 Singer. If you go to the Singer Serial number website, you can enter the serial number and it will tell you the year it was made and the model number.

Blog Entries
    My guess would also be a 99. If you look up the serial number on the Singer site, you can get more info on it.
    Looks like a great machine!

Blog Entries
    Send a PM to lostn51 on here...he's our resident expert.

Blog Entries
    I believe it is a 15-91. See how the the tension adjuster & thread uptake are on the side with the faceplate? It also has a vertical bobbin case. The 15-91 is neat because you can drop the feed dogs & do FMQ with it.

A 99 has the tension adjuster on the front (if you are facing the machine like you are sewing on it) & yes it is a 3/4 sized machine.

p.s. - I'm looking to get one & have compared soooo many pictures that I've got at least these two models distinguished from each other.

It is a Model 15.
    Tension knob is on the faceplate.
    Dead giveaway.............

Blessings,
    Sandi

Blog Entries
    You can FMQ on a featherweight, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast